PDA

View Full Version : Router Bits

Richard Brown
12-11-2008, 4:35 PM
I have a number of router bits and have not bought any lately. I would like to know which ones are of the best quality. I have now CMT, Jesada, Whiteside, Rockler, and Woodcraft. I would like to know if these are of the same quality as they use to be.

Thanks for any information.

Dick

Don L Johnson
12-11-2008, 5:35 PM
Dick,

I've had good luck with CMT and Whiteside. I typically purchase a router bit when the need arises, especially in the case of more expensive sets like a raised panel set. I have purchased Woodcraft bits when they are $5 each, but only because they are so cheap and an occasional use warrants buying them. I also try to purchase 1/2" shanks for the table so chatter isn't a problem.

scott spencer
12-11-2008, 6:04 PM
AFAIK, Jesada used to be owned by the Venditto family. The son, David Venditto, now owns Infinity and Jesada was sold. Infinity makes excellent bits, as does Whiteside, Freud, and CMT.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/BIT-TEST-1.jpg

glenn bradley
12-11-2008, 6:57 PM
I buy Whiteside from Holbren whenever possible. Brian G. is a member here and gives SMC members a 10% discount with the code SMC10. His shipping is quite reasonable as well. Freud bits have also served me well.

"Jacob Robinson"
12-11-2008, 7:12 PM
Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but what is thought about MLCS's Bits???

Larry Edgerton
12-11-2008, 7:34 PM
Whiteside is far and away better than any of the other mentioned bits. In fact I would rate then the best commonly available bits, followed by Bosch, and then Freud.

I had a project ruined by a defective and brand new CMT, will not use them again. Whoever I talked to at CMT was a smarta$$, so they can kiss mine.:)

Ray Newman
12-11-2008, 7:47 PM
Agree on the Whiteside.

I’ve also had good luck w/ CMT & Eagle American.

For straight bits, I use end mill cutters from a machine shop supply house. 2 & 4 fluted & TIn coated/non coated metric & fractional sizes available in 1/4” & 1/2” shank as wells as 3/8” shank. IIRC, Porter-Cable still makes the 3/8” collect for their router line.

& one thing, also examine the bit before you buy it.

Larry Edgerton
12-11-2008, 8:22 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere, so I order all of my bits, as many here do I suspect.

The CMT in question was a 1/2"x4" flush trim, and all looked well. The problem showed up when it hit the wood, it just went wild and snapped off. Apon inspection the bearing had been machined off center, and the only way to see it was to remove the bit. It was 17 thousands off, and was obvious to the eye when the bearing was off. It ruined several days work and for me this is not a hobby, its how I put food on the table. They do not get a second chance.

I have found that theirs and jesada's bits do not stay sharp nearly as long as Whiteside or Bosch, Whiteside being the standard.

Jim Kountz
12-11-2008, 8:25 PM
About MLCS bits and other less expensive lines. Most of the time you will notice when compared to a better quality bit, the thickness of the carbide itself. With thicker carbide you get a cleaner cut I feel and the biggest benefit is more sharpenings before the bit is trashed. That being said, out of the box I really havent seen a huge difference in some of the CMT, Amana and Whiteside bits I have when compared to MLCS. Longevity however is another story. In the end its like anything else, you get what you pay for. Probably tired of hearing that but its just so true!

Ed Hazel
12-11-2008, 8:26 PM
I have been extremely happy with Eagle American bits, smooth cuts and stay sharp for a long time.

Michael Shea
12-14-2008, 12:23 AM
I have been very happy with Lee Valley router bits. They are my "go-to" supplier since I only live a 15 minute drive from the " mother ship" so to speak.

Rick Fisher
12-14-2008, 5:10 AM
I buy Freud bits.. so far I am the only one :eek:

I also buy those cheap green bits that everyone sells. The Freud bits are the straight cutters and round overs.

Jim McFarland
12-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I have been very happy with Lee Valley router bits. They are my "go-to" supplier since I only live a 15 minute drive from the " mother ship" so to speak.

I'm a bit more than 15 minutes away but Fed-X can still find me....I'm also a big fan of router bits from both Lee Valley and Whiteside/Holbren.