PDA

View Full Version : rustic furniture

Andy Pratt
12-11-2008, 4:18 PM
Not sure if this should be here or in the general forum but most of the tools for rustic are hand tools so here goes:

I wasn't able to dig up much on the forum about rustic furniture making, is there enough interest to possibly start a new subforum on it somewhere on SMC? If things work out well for me, I hope to be doing it full time within the next year, and it would be great to have a forum for it.

Also, could anyone recommend any good books on construction techniques? Most of the stuff I've run across has a lot of design ideas and touches construction briefly (basic joints) but I was looking for something a little more detailed on rustic joinery methods.

Thanks,
Andy

Bill Houghton
12-11-2008, 4:33 PM
My local library has a book-sharing deal with several adjacent counties, which isn't obvious when you go into the catalog - you have to kind of know it's there or do a lot of web searching on their system to find it.

So, you might talk to your local librarian about how broadly you can cast the net.

I've read some books on the subject, but not recently enough to remember any titles.

Pam Niedermayer
12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Lee Valley has several books and/or dvds on this, to say nothing of lots of specialized tools like round tenon cutters.

Pam

Fred Childs
12-13-2008, 10:22 PM
I found a copy of "Woodwork Joints" by Charles H. Hayward at a yardsale. I never knew there were that many different kinds of joints! The book has pretty good photos and diagrams.

Luke Townsley
12-16-2008, 2:32 PM
If you haven't been there, check out Robin Wood's site (http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/) on springpole lathe turning and carving.

There are some other sites listed in my "websites" directory at www.unpluggedshop.com that you might find of interest.

Also, don't miss Roy Underhill's books. His newest one is really fantastic.