PDA

View Full Version : Difference in hamlet bowl gouges

Hilel Salomon
12-11-2008, 1:01 PM
I have an opportunity to get (as a gift) some more bowl gouges from Hamlet. Those that I have, I really like. I was wondering if any of you have them and if you prefer the megaflute or the standard flute? My daughter is going to England and asked me to pick out some so that she can send me two as Chanukah gifts. I have the 1/2" and larger ones, but am thinking of the 3/8 and 1/4 in the 2060 steel.
Regards All, Hilel.

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2008, 4:35 PM
Hilel I use my 1/4" and 3/8" a lot. I have a 1/4" Hamlet and like it a lot. I would think those would be good to pick up.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2008, 5:03 PM
Hilel - I know you like to collect tools, so I wonder if you already have the megaflute and standard flutes versions in the larger gouges? If so, which do you prefer? If not, then that is what I would personally get as I don't use the 3/8" Sorby gouge that I have and prefer to use the larger gouges. Either way - I hope your daughter has a wonderful trip and you post a photo of a gouge you can really use!

Skip Spaulding
12-11-2008, 5:55 PM
Hilel, Must be you raised a wonderful Daughter! Nice to be able to pick a great gift like she wants to give. Sounds like you will have a pretty nice Chanukah. You know she is thinking about you.

Hilel Salomon
12-12-2008, 1:30 PM
Skip,

Thanks for the nice words. I better not get started on extolling the virtues of my kids. They are all fantastically nice, kind and accomplished. Add the fact that their spouses are great and their children (my grandkids) are fantastic, and you get one very, very lucky man.

Steve,

Unfortunately, you know me well!! I do have quite a few Hamlet gouges, but they are in Virginia and I don't remember what shape flute they are. Just wondered if anyone out there had a preference and why.

The reasons that I chose the smaller gouges include the fact that I don't want my daughter spending too much and I remember seeing Jimmy Clewes talking about a small, regular grind gouge smoothing out the corners of bowls.

I'll ask her to send the regular and see what happens.

Regards All,
Hilel.

Gordon Seto
12-12-2008, 1:43 PM
Skip,

I remember seeing Jimmy Clewes talking about a small, regular grind gouge smoothing out the corners of bowls.

Jimmy Clewes will have a new line of his signature gouges; Thompson Tools is going to manufacture for him. I have seen the prototype last Saturday, waiting to be sent to Jimmy for field testing.

Hilel Salomon
12-13-2008, 7:40 AM
Gordon,

Thanks for the info. I have about 5 of the Thompson gouges and like them a lot. I'll no doubt be adding the Clewes ones to my arsenal. I absolutely hate sharpening so I wait until I have quite a few dull gouges before I turn to the grinder and Tormek.
Am headed back up to VA next week. Regards to All, Hilel.