PDA

View Full Version : Flat Panel Technique?

Art Davis
12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I want to make a flat panel of some 12 strips 1 1/2 inches in width, about 1 inch thick.

Should I use biscuits to keep the panel flat? I have read in various places that there can be problems with the biscuits causing bumps on the surface.

This is for a cutting board xmas present for my daughter, so the panel will get wet from time to time.

What do YOU use to keep your panels flat?

Thanks for any info.

Art

Rod Sheridan
12-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi, accurate milling of the stock, followed by careful alignment during glueing keeps my glued up panels flat.

Make sure you start with properly dried wood.

It really is that simple.........Regards, Rod.

Jeff Hallam
12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Art,

I made some cutting boards last Christmas as gifts, and I found that cauls were critical in keeping everything lined up. I wrapped mine in wax paper to prevent them from sticking to glue squeeze out.

Jeremy Muns
12-11-2008, 1:21 PM
To keep the panel flat in glue up - I use a pile of 2" spring clamps (usually $0.99 ea at box stores) on the end of the boards until the cross clamps are tight.

In order to keep panels flat during the life of the cutting board, I alternate the grains as viewed from the side of the panel. First /\ then \/ then /\ then \/ . If you were to put the grains all like "V" next to one another, the panel would warp up on the edges.

Gene Howe
12-11-2008, 4:16 PM
Hi Art,

Biscuits will work well to keep things aligned. Placed in the center of the edge of a 1" board, you should not experience any telegraphing.
Titebond II or III will be OK, just don't soak it in the sink! ;) Epoxy would be better if it's going to be exposed to a lot of moisture for a long time. System 3 is a good source.

Art Davis
12-11-2008, 6:58 PM
Thanks a lot guys. As usual, a lot of help on this forum!

Now---a follow-on question: is it better to surface plane wide boards, then rip---or rip and then surface plane. Which one causes the least wood shift?

Frank Drew
12-12-2008, 1:02 AM
Now---a follow-on question: is it better to surface plane wide boards, then rip---or rip and then surface plane. Which one causes the least wood shift?

Art,

Wood often moves after being cut from a larger piece, so I'd rip somewhat oversize then joint (if necessary) and surface plane to the finish size.

Gene Howe
12-12-2008, 9:02 AM
With only a 6" jointer, I have to rip first, flatten second, plane third and edge joint fourth.
Depending on the length and/or condition, sometimes cutting to a shorter length with the circular saw may be necessary. Most of my stock is rough, so, often the ends need trimmed.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Biscuits are unlikely to telegraph through a half inch of wood.

Of interest is the way some instrument makers treat glue ups. Take Gibson. They do a glue up and then set the wood aside for a long period (I believe it's months) to let all the moisture from the glue to migrate out.

I bet there's not a woodworker I've ever met who does that. They usually start processing the material after a 20 hour period to let the glue fully cure. Some sooner if they think they can get away with it.