PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Chopmaster vs Miter Master

James Hart
12-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Just picked up a Makita LS 1013 and I'm looking at a Forrest blade. They say that the Chopmaster is especially for SCMS and Radial saws, while the Miter Master is for Miter Saws. Probably a hook angle thing. This is the first I've heard that these 2 types of saws would use different blades. Has anyone used a Miter Master on a SCMS?

Thanks,

Jim

Jeff Hallam
12-11-2008, 12:10 PM
For what its worth, I use the Chopmaster on my CMS and I like its performance.

Dave Falkenstein
12-11-2008, 1:24 PM
I have used a Forrest Chopmaster on two different SCMS with excellent results. The Miter Master is a much more expensive blade (over $100 more), and the ChopMaster is specified for SCMS. Why not simply get the Chopmaster? Here is the site I use for good prices Forrest blades:

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.com/

Jim Becker
12-11-2008, 2:51 PM
I also use the ChopMaster on my CMS with wonderful results. The cut is great.

John Callahan
12-11-2008, 5:00 PM
.................... +4

Chris Padilla
12-11-2008, 5:13 PM
Hmmm, I have a Freud somethin-or-other on my 12" DeWalt CMS and I'm happy with it but I've no experience with any of the Forrest blades....

Rex Frasier
12-11-2008, 7:44 PM
I've been pleased with the Makita blade that comes on the saw and have replaced it once. It seems like it sells for around $40.00.

Simon Dupay
12-11-2008, 7:56 PM
the mitermaster might be for a double ended miter saw and not for a portable saw.

fRED mCnEILL
12-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I have the Makita as well and got a Chopmaster last year for Christmas.What I noticed when first using the saw was how smooth a cut it made. I also noticed that when making a cut there was almost NO change in the sound of the blade as it cut. It is like cutting through butter.

Fred M

Steve Rozmiarek
12-12-2008, 2:46 AM
James, the Chopmaster is good, but don't toss the stock blade yet. Some of them, I think there may be two levels of quality, are really good blades. The first one that came with my Mak was great.

Roger Everett
12-12-2008, 8:00 AM
Jim:
The blade for a SCMS or radial should be a neg. hook design. A pos. hook could cause self feeding and on a SCMS could poss. result in climbing up and pulling it's self forward. It's a safty thing, and I have had the climbing happen to me on a SCMS ( others saw on a job ), tightens up your spinkter muscle real fast.
I have a Chopmaster on my Dewalt 12" slider, best blade I've ever had on it.

Roger

Ben Martin
12-12-2008, 8:03 AM
Spend you money elsewhere, I would not replace the stock blade on the LS1013FL. Amazing that somebody these days would suppy a product with a good blade out of the box, and assembled in the USA! It is a dream come true...