PDA

View Full Version : walnut crotch issues

Matt Wolboldt
12-11-2008, 9:49 AM
Hey guys. I was able to score some black walnut crotch this morning. As I've never turned a crotch, I'm not sure the best way to lay out the bowl in it. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure what would yield the best figure. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Nicol
12-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Matt, Like all crotch wood it will have some wonderful grain and deep figure. to see what is in the crotch you would have to cut through the center of the log with the legnth of the tree. You will see the flame and figure then. If you are going to turn a bowl and you want to see the flame in the bottom of the bowl you will have to turn it opposite of he natural shape of the half round log. If you want it to show on the outside of a vase,vessel or Hollow form then cut the blank so that when you get to your desired form the flame and figure will be where it can be seen. If you have some small limb crotches of any wood do some practice cuts to see where you can get the best looking grain. Sometimes I have started the turning to end up cutting away all the beautiful grain! So take some time and do some tests and you will find the best for you.

Have a great day!

Jeff

Barbara Gill
12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey guys. I was able to score some black walnut crotch this morning. As I've never turned a crotch, I'm not sure the best way to lay out the bowl in it. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure what would yield the best figure. Thanks in advance.

There are actually two ways you can cut a crotch. The traditional way is as Jeff described. If you cut 90 degrees to the usual then the figure will be more of a sunburst. This figure is particularly dramatic on a plate or platter.

charlie knighton
12-11-2008, 5:45 PM
you will have to be careful sanding crotch black walnut wood, probably should use a sanding sealer so the darker shades are not sanding into the lighter shades of the black walnut :eek: don't ask how i know