PDA

View Full Version : surface to do glue ups on.

paul wiser
12-11-2008, 1:24 AM
need some idea of what type of surface i can use to glue up small projects on. everything i seem to find to use is not flat. HELP :(

Ed Hazel
12-11-2008, 1:33 AM
I like to use High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheeting from usplastics.com (http://www.usplastics.com). it comes in several different thicknesses and glue does not stick to it.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=72&product_id=10369

Rick Fisher
12-11-2008, 2:32 AM
I have a workbench with a 3/4" MDF top. I finished it with watco oil about 5 times. I kept going until the last coat wouldnt dry. There was no absorbtion left in the MDF.

Now, when I get glue on it, the whole blob just pop's off with a chisel or scraper. It wont absorb into the MDF.

Bill Huber
12-11-2008, 4:05 AM
I have to different things I use, one is a 2 x 4 foot 3/4 MDF. It was finished with some leftover finish I had and then wax about 3 times. The other one is a small about 12" x 18" masonite that has been wax 2 or 3 times.
The glue will not stick to them and just flacks off when it drys.

Joe Chritz
12-11-2008, 7:07 AM
Torsion Box for the win!

I have two, one large one as a table saw outfeed and a smaller, lower one as a rolling assembly table.

They are pretty easy to build and you will not be upset that you have one.

ETA: BLO on MDF looks nice and glue pops right off.

Joe

mike holden
12-11-2008, 8:34 AM
Paul,
I just cover my tablesaw with a piece of kraft paper.
Mike

David Giles
12-11-2008, 9:02 AM
For small projects, a piece of melamine coated particle board is dead flat and glue resistant. It 's standard kitchen cabinet material, but uncommon in most SMC member's shop.

If your workbench is solid wood, now's the time to break out the large handplane and flatten that top.

My main assembly table is a 2ft x 3ft granite top left over from a kitchen cabinet project. Dead flat!

Chip Lindley
12-11-2008, 9:16 AM
I throw an old hollow core door across saw horses to make a quick and dirty assembly table. I take it with me for on-site work too. Surprising how stiff these ol' doors are!

Richard M. Wolfe
12-11-2008, 9:45 AM
For small glue-ups I'd go with a peice of melamine coated board or MDF. If you are using something glue would stick to and want to preserve it for further usage use waxed paper under your work.

Bruce Page
12-11-2008, 9:48 AM
I just lay out wax paper to catch the drips.

Steve Griffin
12-11-2008, 9:58 AM
Large piece of cardboard on a workbench. Store it against the wall when not in use, and replace as needed. Also used for protecting bench when finishing.

-Steve

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
you can make a flat surface by making a Torsion box and covering the work top with Formica. Then you can wax the formica and double the glue popping ability.

I've found that Titebond will stick pretty well to formica unless it's waxed. By "pretty well" I mean I gotta work at it a bit to get it off.

Prashun Patel
12-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Hollow core doors topped with 1/4" hardboard.

A sheet of melamine-covered particle board on yr tablesaw is also perfect.

John Thompson
12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
My 36 x 44 assembly table top is MDF on top of two sheets of 3/4" laminated ply. The 48 x 72 table is a sheet of MDF with a torsion box under it. Both have 3 coats of poly which protects from glue. Any drips pop right off with a light pass from a metal putty scraper.

Sarge..

Jim Kountz
12-11-2008, 8:51 PM
My assembly table/bench is MDF with a couple coats of poly. I installed a roll of that brown paper you use in new homes to protect the floors and such. I made kind of a huge paper towel holder under one end to hold the roll. When I want to do a glue up or paint something (brush) I just unroll a new layer, do the job and when its done I throw it away. Next time I just unroll a new layer and I have a fresh clean work surface every time!!

Brian Effinger
12-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I like to use High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheeting from usplastics.com (http://www.usplastics.com). it comes in several different thicknesses and glue does not stick to it.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=72&product_id=10369

Ed, what thickness do you use, and how flat does it lay?

Stan Urbas
12-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I have a couple of used table tops that I picked up a few years ago. They have a laminate (Formica) on top of 1-1/4" high density fiberboard. Heaviest table tops I've seen, but extremely flat. I use Titebond all the time and it does stick a bit, but I can easily scrape it off with an old chisel or metal ruler.

paul wiser
12-12-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks to everyone for the ideas. i appreciate the assistance. happy holidays to all