PDA

View Full Version : Repair for a Bosch 1617 router

John Schreiber
12-11-2008, 1:15 AM
My router's given good service for two years of hobbyist use. Unfortunately, I knocked it off my bench top onto a concrete floor and it doesn't work any more.

The plastic top cap broke off and the variable speed unit swings free attached by two wires. Hoping for the best, I put the variable speed unit back in place, taped the top back on, plugged it back in and flipped the switch. Nothing. I checked all the connections I could see and everything appears to be tight.

My next step is to go at it with a multimeter, but I'm not electrically talented and I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I found a shiny 1" long spring pin on the floor later, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the router.

A parts diagram is here (http://images.toolpartsdirect.com/schematics/bosch/1617.039.big.pdf).

Any ideas?

Bill Huber
12-11-2008, 4:24 AM
What a bummmmmmmmmer........:mad:

I would check the brushes and make sure they are ok and then look at the board the variable speed is on for cracks.
Check the brush mounts and make sure they are ok.

When you turn it on now is there any sound, like a humming sound?
Will the shaft turn freely?

I think it would be worth fixing, the parts I sure would not be that bad to buy.

I would be more then happy to take a look at it for you if you want to send it down.

Jason White
12-11-2008, 6:32 AM
Could it be for one of the brushes?

My router's given good service for two years of hobbyist use. Unfortunately, I knocked it off my bench top onto a concrete floor and it doesn't work any more.

The plastic top cap broke off and the variable speed unit swings free attached by two wires. Hoping for the best, I put the variable speed unit back in place, taped the top back on, plugged it back in and flipped the switch. Nothing. I checked all the connections I could see and everything appears to be tight.

My next step is to go at it with a multimeter, but I'm not electrically talented and I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I found a shiny 1" long spring pin on the floor later, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the router.

A parts diagram is here (http://images.toolpartsdirect.com/schematics/bosch/1617.039.big.pdf).

Any ideas?

John Schreiber
12-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Correction. The variable speed unit is connected by three wires.

I'll check the brushes tonight if I can get out in the shop.

Thanks!

Prashun Patel
12-11-2008, 1:17 PM
John, I'd call a Bosch service center. Might be surprised what they'll fix for free.

Jason White
12-11-2008, 6:05 PM
Make sure you put the wires back where you found them. I screwed that up once on my 1617 and the variable speed stopped working. Took a few guess attempts before things started working right again.

JW

Correction. The variable speed unit is connected by three wires.

I'll check the brushes tonight if I can get out in the shop.

Thanks!

John Schreiber
12-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your help. I checked the brushes and they were fine. The shaft does turn freely. I checked and cleaned every contact I could find. Then I went at it with a multi-meter.

I found that there was 120 coming to the switch and that there was full resistance going across the wires coming into the switch whether the switch was in the on or off positions. My provisional diagnosis was a bad switch. To test it my diagnosis, I clamped the router into a vise, plugged it into the wall and touched the two wires going into the switch with a separate insulated wire and it started spinning. I think that's makes the diagnosis definitive.

Does that make sense? I figure I can order a replacement switch from Bosch and solder it in place.

Bill Huber
12-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for your help. I checked the brushes and they were fine. The shaft does turn freely. I checked and cleaned every contact I could find. Then I went at it with a multi-meter.

I found that there was 120 coming to the switch and that there was full resistance going across the wires coming into the switch whether the switch was in the on or off positions. My provisional diagnosis was a bad switch. To test it my diagnosis, I clamped the router into a vise, plugged it into the wall and touched the two wires going into the switch with a separate insulated wire and it started spinning. I think that's makes the diagnosis definitive.

Does that make sense? I figure I can order a replacement switch from Bosch and solder it in place.

Yes that's the problems, you can order one or call Bosch and tell them that the switch keeps getting full of dust and you have to blow it out all the time and they may send you another switch, they did me.

I had to take my switch out and tap it on the bench and then blow it out every now and then. I called Bosch and then sent me a new switch.

Jason White
12-13-2008, 5:05 PM
Bill is right. There were a few of the 1617's that shipped with bad switches. I called Bosch when mine failed and they sent me a free replacement, which I replaced myself without too much trouble.

Jason

Yes that's the problems, you can order one or call Bosch and tell them that the switch keeps getting full of dust and you have to blow it out all the time and they may send you another switch, they did me.

I had to take my switch out and tap it on the bench and then blow it out every now and then. I called Bosch and then sent me a new switch.