PDA

View Full Version : Flattening agent?

Dave Westover
12-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Any easy way to flatten latex paint? Ive got the color I want, but in a semi gloss. Im looking for a satin sheen.

Thanks

Steve Schoene
12-11-2008, 8:09 AM
Why not just buy satin paint in the same color--if you don't know the color name good paint stores can match it. There are sometimes flatting agent additives sold by manufacturers of high end finishes, but what I have seen are specialty products that would cost you about as much as buying more paint. I would be very leary of using such an additive if not made specifically by the same manufacturer for that specific product.

What is your intended use for latex paint. It's generally not appropriate for furniture or even cabinetry--100% acyrlic is the waterborne finish you want for those applications. The acyrlic is much harder, things set on it won't stick to it, like it might with latex.

Dave Westover
12-11-2008, 5:40 PM
Why not just buy satin paint in the same color--if you don't know the color name good paint stores can match it. There are sometimes flatting agent additives sold by manufacturers of high end finishes, but what I have seen are specialty products that would cost you about as much as buying more paint. I would be very leary of using such an additive if not made specifically by the same manufacturer for that specific product.

What is your intended use for latex paint. It's generally not appropriate for furniture or even cabinetry--100% acyrlic is the waterborne finish you want for those applications. The acyrlic is much harder, things set on it won't stick to it, like it might with latex.

I have a ton of paint that I will be using for painting the shop and related projects, some of which Id prefer a non glossy finish. This project is a tool chest that will live under a bench, well protected I hope. Id prefer not to use latex as you cautioned against, but the price was right as is the color. I might just go with the semi gloss and steer my obsessive tendancies in other directions.

It amazes me how I can complicate such a simple thing ;)

Thanks for the input.

Craig Hemsath
12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Could you paint it, then hit it with a little sandpaper/steelwool afterwards?

Rich Enders
12-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Dave,

We went the other way. We had flat in the color we wanted, so we just put a coat of gloss clear over the top. Maybe it would work for you to use the gloss color first and then put a flat clear over the top.