PDA

View Full Version : Festool Domino dust collection - ??

John Keeton
12-10-2008, 8:18 PM
It appears that I have scored on a brand new Domino - no gloat yet as it hasn't arrived, therefore no obligatory pics! But, I stopped at Woodcraft to look at the DC connection, and the various attachments. Without spending $150 or more on Festool hose and attachments, how can I hook this thing to my Oneida DC system? And, will that pull enough suction to get the job done? I would like to come off the Domino with a short connector and switch to 2.5" pretty quickly with no more than 8' of hose to one of my blastgate drops.

Ideas?

Norm St.Onge
12-10-2008, 9:00 PM
I've not done what you're trying to do but the Mr Nozzle stuff works with the other Festool stuff (TS55 & sanders) I have at a fraction of the f'tool cost. You might find the pieces you need.

http://www.mrnozzleinc.com/history_page.htm

-Norm

Jim Becker
12-10-2008, 9:59 PM
While you "can" connect your new Domino (congrats!) to your cyclone, you'll get better performance connecting it to a shop vac. The port is very small and you cannot move much air through it. DC's work by moving a lot of air and low pressure. (high volume, low "suction") Vacs work on the principle of low air volume and high suction.

Thomas S Stockton
12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Mine works fine hooked up with a hose from a porter cable random orbital sander. Use a shop vac even a really cheap one will work.
Tom

Joe Chritz
12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Listen to Jim.

I have a 3" hose to a small vac hose from my Gorilla and the suction is very low. Now I run a shop vac to the sanders and use the large pipe for the downdraft table.

The suction is adequate because what is missed it picked up my the downdraft but the vac does a lot better.

If you are inclined to hook it up anyway, I had luck making parts to fit stuff out of commercial PVC fittings. I had to lathe a piece to make it the correct size but it does work. That and a few wraps of foil tape and I can hook a small shop vac hose to my PC sander.

Which reminds me, I need to make a fitting for the Ridgid 6" I got for doing panels.

Joe

John Keeton
12-11-2008, 8:02 AM
Taking everyone's advice, I will use a small shopvac that I have. Since I do not have the Domino in front of me yet, what size OD is the connection on the Domino - I take that it is metric?

I guess the ultimate question is - what size female connector do I need to slip over the outlet on the Domino?

Sue Wise
12-11-2008, 8:47 AM
I bought one of those cheap variable size couplers and cut it to size. It works, but it is not perfect. If you find something that works better, please post.

-Sue

Jim Becker
12-11-2008, 9:20 AM
The physical connection on the Festool product is designed (with ribs) to hold the flexible rubber coupling on the end of a Festool hose. I believe you can use the "hose sleeves" listed here (http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/subcategory.html?sid=44c6be40c4b6a2646c2419bf48751 dab&scat=59) to adapt your current hose, but please check with Bob Marino to confirm.

Greg Cole
12-11-2008, 10:16 AM
John,
I used the plastic connector for the dust bag from my PC plate joiner to attach my Domi and one of the universal shop vac attacments (ya know the rubbery one you cut to fit) the shop vac hose. I use the shop vac on the joiner when I actually use it every 2 years or so.:rolleyes:
The gentle bend in the attachment from the plate joiner gives me much more room to hold the tool with the shop vac hose attached, as the Festool hose is about 1/2 the diameter of a shop vac hose. Or else you wind up having to hold the handle where the air vents are and the little Domi gets might warm.. DAMKHIT.
I did had to ream out the ID of the joiner connector just a "tad" to get a good fit on the Domi.
"One of these days" I'll invest in a CT vac and the boom style Festool hose set up... "one of these days" that is.:cool:

Greg

glenn bradley
12-11-2008, 10:25 AM
I also find a Shop Vac to do a much better job on certain tools than a DC. ROS, routers, CMS and DP would be examples in my shop. Noisy, but neat.

James Hart
12-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Taking everyone's advice, I will use a small shopvac that I have. Since I do not have the Domino in front of me yet, what size OD is the connection on the Domino - I take that it is metric?

I guess the ultimate question is - what size female connector do I need to slip over the outlet on the Domino?

John,

If it helps, my Festool hose fits perfectly on my PC 557 biscuit joiner. If your current hose fit the older PC you just sold (don't know if that model even had a dust chute, but most PC tools seem to),then you'll be fine with the Domino.

Jim

Bob Marino
12-11-2008, 12:32 PM

John,

It is metric, and ribbed, as Jim stated, but it is a hair shy (1.1 inch) of 1 1/8".

Bob

John Keeton
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks Bob. I will check my small Shopvac hose, and get with you on a connector. By the way, the link to your homepage in your profile does not work.

Jim Becker
12-11-2008, 3:30 PM
John, the link to Uncle Bob's site is in my previous post...just click on the word "here"... :D

John Keeton
12-11-2008, 4:55 PM
Yeah Jim, I did that. I was just pointing this out to Bob. Thanks.

Bob Marino
12-11-2008, 7:00 PM
Yeah Jim, I did that. I was just pointing this out to Bob. Thanks.
John,

Yep, it was outdated, fixed now.

Thanks.

Bob