PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar!

Marc Myer
12-10-2008, 6:00 PM
I just spoke with Epilog support this morning.
After they answered my question, I asked about lenses and cleaning. The tech, Brian, explained that white vinegar is excellent for cleaning the optics, and is recommended by the manufacturer!
He suggested to clean with vinegar, then follow up with the regular cleaner/wipes, and says it makes a noticeable difference.

Joe Pelonio
12-10-2008, 6:32 PM
Hmm, then I can stop buying Epilog lens cleaner from them I guess and instead raid the pantry!

Lonny Meeks
12-10-2008, 7:29 PM
That sounds like a great money saving tip!

Joe Hayes
12-11-2008, 9:20 AM
After they answered my question, I asked about lenses and cleaning. The tech, Brian, explained that white vinegar is excellent for cleaning the optics, and is recommended by the manufacturer!
He suggested to clean with vinegar, then follow up with the regular cleaner/wipes, and says it makes a noticeable difference.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think in the last sentence he says Epilog support recommended a follow up with cleaner/wipes - I took that to mean that you would still do a regular cleaning after using the white vinegar.
I take all that to mean that the white vinegar is just an additional step to getting a clean lens but does not mean dropping the regular lens clear use.
???

Lee DeRaud
12-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Just guessing, but there are probably residues from wood/acrylic/whatever that the regular cleaner isn't designed to handle.

(Seriously, what was the last time your camera lens got a heavy dose of wood smoke? :p)

Marc Myer
12-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Brian said he followed up with the wipe: perhaps there's a residue from the vinegar? Or, possibly the vinegar leaves a surface that is more likely to attract / hold fumes and smoke residue?

Or maybe it's just a precaution. I know I get better lasering results by my once-weekly regimen of walking around a palm tree three times in a clockwise direction, then burying a half a potato at midnight. But that's just me.

Neal Schlee
12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
I've used Reagent Grade Acetone for 25 years. :)

Neal

Lisa Walter
12-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Vinegar is also an awesome natural cleaner for around your house too......you can run a bottle of it through your dishwasher (actually I think they call for like 2-4 cups but I put the whole bottle in) and it cleans out hard water deposits. It's great for a coffee pot also. I work with a guy who is very sensitive to perfumes, cleaners, etc etc and he uses a spray bottle of vinegar and water to clean our tables and bathrooms (he is our "handy man"/fix it guy). Most spray window cleaners include vinegar so it's a wonder we didn't all come up with this idea ourselves.

When I run the vinegar through our dishwasher at home, I always hear one of the kids say.......what smells like Easter? :)

Lisa

Mark Winlund
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm sure everyone knows this, but vinegar is a weak acid (the grocery store version is weak) called acetic acid. Before using it on my machine I would like to see an OK from ULS in writing. As you may be aware, acids and aluminum do not co-exist very well.

Mark

John Frazee
12-13-2008, 10:59 AM
My sales rep told me to use just plain ole' alcohol. Seems to do just fine.

Robert Ray
12-15-2008, 1:52 PM
Having spent over 30 years in semiconductor equipment repair, (micro photo lithography and laser processing) I have seen many favorite optics cleaning solutions. I have used mixes that contain Acetic Acid, but never full strength. It is an acid, and it eats minerals like lime deposits and such.

Some optics are even made of materials Acetic Acid will etch, like Sodalime.

What is in most commercial lens cleaning solutions is a mixture that goes something like this:

30% Isopropanol (helps breaks down greases)
30% Acetone (active ceaning agent)
49% DI Water (slows evaporation preventing film residue while wiping)
1% Acetic Acid (helps break down greases and minerals remaining in water)

That's all I know on lens cleaners. I just use the Kodak stuff with great results. Also it's mostly Method, over cleaning solution that gets results.

-Robert Ray

Jay Beller
12-18-2008, 4:11 PM
John - did the sales rep who told you about the alcohol mention how much you need to drink before seeing improvements?

James Rambo
12-18-2008, 6:11 PM
What is in most commercial lens cleaning solutions is a mixture that goes something like this:

This is difficult to do. It adds up to 110%.

Larry Bratton
12-18-2008, 7:07 PM

This is difficult to do. It adds up to 110%.
Thats what makes it soooo good James