PDA

View Full Version : table saw dust collection

Tri Hoang
12-10-2008, 5:11 PM
I have a Powermatic 2000 table saw which has a 4" inlet for dust collection. Internally, it is reduced to 3" before being collected to a shroud just below the blade.

I have a 6" duct run from a 3HP cyclone to the saw but still use the 4" inlet. There is still plenty of dust inside the saw cabinet and above the table. It seems that there are two options:

1. Widen the 4" inlet to 6"...but the dust shroud is still 3" below the blade
2. Add another 4" inlet (in addition to the existing 4")

Which option would you choose and where would you put the 4" inlet if you choose #2? Also would like ideas on how to open a 4" inlet or widen the existing 4" to 6" on that thick metal cabinet. Thanks.

Maurice Ungaro
12-10-2008, 5:20 PM
Tri,
You may also want to investigate installing an overarm blade guard. If you attach a collection hose to that, you will get most of that dust on top of the table.

Steve Kohn
12-10-2008, 5:29 PM
I have a PM66. It also have a 4 in port at the bottom of the cabinet. Simply stated the dust collection is not adequate. So I added an overarm guard, also with a 4 inch dust collector. With both dust ports open it does a pretty good job of keeping the chips from coming back at me when ripping or cutting big sheets of plywood.

However, I really don't like to use the overarm guard when i am cutting smaller pieces. I like to see what I am doing. So I close the blast gate on the overarm guard, move it off to the side, and live with the result.

About once a month I push all the accumulated sawdust in the bottom of the cabinet into the dust port. This cleans out my saw.

glenn bradley
12-10-2008, 5:42 PM
I also do what Steve does. I don't mind small 'drifts' of sawdust in my tool cabinets as long as they are small and "refresh" to some extent.

Lance Norris
12-10-2008, 8:43 PM
Tri... I dont have an answer for you as to where to locate a second inlet in a PM2000, but I did add a second 4" port into my Unisaw. The results were dramatic. I used a closet flange from one of home improvement stores and it worked out perfectly. Here is a link to the thread I posted about this subject...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76571

Rod Sheridan
12-11-2008, 8:52 AM
Hi, as stated previously, add an overarm guard to collect the dust that is ejected from the top of the blade.

I have an Excalibur mounted on a General 650 saw and am very happy with the setup.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
12-11-2008, 9:10 AM
A little accumulation inside of the saw cabinet is really not something to worry about all that much, so I agree with the suggestion that a combination of the internal shroud and an overarm collection system is really the ultimate solution...and you can easily "power" it with your 6" main duct system. A lot of the noticeable dust and chips created by a table saw come off the top of the blade and without overarm collection (or a hood on the riving knife for through cuts) that material gets on the saw table, on you and in the air you are breathing.

Prashun Patel
12-11-2008, 9:12 AM
I have a Powermatic 2000 table saw which has a 4" inlet for dust collection. Internally, it is reduced to 3" before being collected to a shroud just below the blade.

I'm a hybrid owner, so I don't know how the dc in cab saws differs. However, if your 6" is being reduced to 3" ultimately, you might be choking the airflow.

I wouldn't worry about drift buildup. It doesn't affect anything and is hard to eliminate completely.

I'd also add an above-top port. Better (IMHO) than a guard-mounted port is a table or fence-mounted 'jig/clamp/strap' that can be moved around depending on yr cut, but directs a hose just above the front of the blade. this will both capture more dust at it's source and better balance the airflow of your dc.

Tri Hoang
12-11-2008, 4:54 PM
It seems the consensus so far is to add dust collection on top of the table. I actually placed an order for the sharkguard a couple weeks ago (2-1/2") so that would take care of the top.

Upon closer inspection, I think I can open a 3" port on motor cover (plastic and replaceable) and re-route the blade dust shroud to it. I leave the the main 4" port at the bottom of the cabinet as is.

So after completion, I should have a 4" main port at the bottom, a 3" port on the side for the blade shroud, and a 2-1/2" port at the top. I think it's the equivalent of 6" duct to the saw.