PDA

View Full Version : Corel on a new computer

Mitchell Andrus
12-10-2008, 5:01 PM
I just used Laplink to X-fer stuff over to a new laptop. Trouble is, Corel Draw X3 doesn't know how hard I worked to set up the environment just the way I like it - so.....

Does anyone know what files to bring over (y'know, like drivers and anything else that controls the desktop) - before I start flailing around and muck things up?

Mike Null
12-11-2008, 6:20 AM
Mitchell

I can't remember how but I believe in one of Roy Brewer's tutorials there is a way to save your Corel workspace as a file so that it can be recovered in case of some problem. You should be able to transfer that file or easily create a new one.
http://www.engravingconcepts.com/Corel%20Tutorial%20Links.htm

I back up my art files on a separate drive and would want all of them on the new laptop.

As for drivers, I would transfer what you have today then go to each website and check for upgrades, especially Vista versions if that's what you'll be running.

I want to caution you that I am far from expert in these matters but I think this will work. I hope it answers your question.

Bill Cunningham
12-11-2008, 11:20 PM
If your transferring files from XP to XP on another computer, there is a file transfer wizard in the Programs/accessories/sytem tools/files and settings transfer tools. This will save all your 'settings' in a file, then when you reload your software onto the new computer you can use the wizard to re-install all your settings/desktop/communications.. etc.. Makes your new computer look and feel like your old computer.. And, if your using firefox, there is a program called Mozbackup that does the save thing with all you email/passwords/settings/etc.. Just used them, and my new computer is now just as comfortable as my old computer was.. A few strange bits, but nothing 'really' bad.. Jus back up your old system first, so you can restore or reload anything the wizards missed.. The missed some of my .dat files..