PDA

View Full Version : New Rigid TS

Todd Crawford
12-10-2008, 1:11 PM
Has anyone seen the new Rigid TS up close and in person yet? I have been drooling waiting on this to come out but I am going to need to make a choice pretty soon. Looks like a lot of saw for $600. I also have the Grizzly GO478 in mind. By the time I buy a blade, it will be about $400 more than the Rigid. I get the 10% off coupons for Home Depot all the time so I could potentially get the new Rigid for $540 + tax. I've heard that the Grizzly customer service is excellent, but the Rigid is coming with the lifetime service warranty. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

I guess I should also let you know what my uses will be. I do this mostly as a hobby, making a piece of furniture here and there but have interest in taking a few commissions. Nothing close to full time just a piece here and there. I have also been asked to do some cabinet work that I would also need to consider in my choice. I will also be working in a fairly small space so I need to keep that in mind as well.

Bill White
12-10-2008, 1:27 PM
but I've seen posts about the warranty. Some have said that there were some caveats in the details that state some "sneaky snakes".

Check it out.
Bill

Dwain Lambrigger
12-10-2008, 5:35 PM
I would think you should see the reviews when it is out, but I would probably go with Rigid. I know it would feel pretty good to simply drive the thing to a HD to return if there are issues. Ridgid is getting good reviews on a lot of their tools. Again, I like the idea of seeing one in the store, and trying it out. If I was in the market, I would think this would be the one to try.

Andy Sowers
12-10-2008, 5:47 PM
At least at the HDs, around here... they don't have many of the larger tools assembled in the store anymore. Instead, they have pictures of them...

Joe Chritz
12-10-2008, 6:10 PM
Don't know about the new one but I like the old one just fine. It is a lot of saw for the money. If the new one is as good or better it will be a fine saw indeed.

Joe

Herbert Wallace
12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I have the old ridgid TS ,13" planer, 6" joiner and OSS. I am happy with all 4 tools. The lifetime waranty is useless if you didn't jump thru all the hoops when you bought the tool. I got mine before Ridgid sold out. now I have to produce the receipt to get the lifetime waranty. I just had to eat $60. in parts for my planer. So, get all the details on the waranty.

James White
12-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Herbert,

Just what are the hoops? I recently purchased a Ridgid shop vac and this thread reminded me. I need to send in the registration. Then I looked at the registration card. It says you can register on line. The top of the form says this.

At RIDGID we've been providing high quality products for trade and home/shop use for more than 75 years. In order to anticipate your future needs, we need to better understand why you made this particular selection. Please take a moment to complete this product registration. Failure to return this registration will not diminish your warranty rights

So I do not recall were it was that I heard you had a limited amount of time to send in your registration or you only get the standard warranty and not the lifetime. has something changed? Do I need to send the card in?

James

scott spencer
12-10-2008, 11:18 PM
James - AFAIK, the standard warranty and the Lifetime Service Agreement are separate and cover different things. You must register for the LSA within a set amount of time or it's lost. You will still have the standard warranty even if you don't register for the LSA.

Todd Crawford
12-11-2008, 9:38 AM
Did anyone ever decide if this indeed is being manufactured by Steel City / Orion?

Jack Kenney
12-11-2008, 9:55 AM
Just one or two quick points... the R4511 saw is currently on Home Depot's website as an "online only" item, and the shipping charge is somewhere North of $450 (!!??!!). I've not heard that they have shown up in stores yet, and none of the HD folks around here know much about it. So it may be awhile before we hear customer reviews. At least a couple guys have pushed local management to get a saw shipped to the store, at no cost, for pickup. Another thing to be aware of, the saw has a granite top and wings and weighs in at about 450 lb., so bring your forklift with you.

John Thompson
12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Did anyone ever decide if this indeed is being manufactured by Steel City / Orion?

The saw is being manufactured for TTI (parent group of HD) under a licensing agreement with Steel City for their technology behind the granite top. So technicaly it is not being made by Orion or Steel City nor will it carry a Steel City or Orion warranty. The warranty is TTI.

Sarge..

Todd Crawford
12-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks Sarge...