PDA

View Full Version : Plane Adjusting hammers...

Tim Sproul
06-11-2004, 1:22 AM
I'm getting into woodies....

what plane adjusting hammers do you all use?

I'm looking at the Lee Valley hammer:

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/50k5601s1.jpg

seems kind of a silly question, but thought I'd ask anyways...... :D

Filiph Dufffy
06-11-2004, 5:49 AM
Oh, I just used a piece of brass plumb bob and turned a handle of cocobolo to hold it nicely. Phil

Alan Turner
06-11-2004, 9:24 AM
Tim,
I have the LV that you pictured, and it is OK only. I later acquired a set of Japanese hammers, and they are great for the purpose you mention. I am not sure that I would have spent the money on them, but they were part of a package deal (an estate), and I kept them.

Mark Singer
06-11-2004, 9:33 AM
I use a light plastic Stanley mallet...the weight is good and it doesn't mar most planes.It is very inexpensive. A brad or tack hammer or smaller Warington works nicely for small planes ...like a bullnose, chariot, or rabbit.

Scott Quesnelle
06-11-2004, 10:20 AM
I use a small rawhide mallet on my smoothers and moulders. For my jointer I use a small wooden mallet with an ironwood head. Have also used a tack hammer on occassion but prefer the rawhide.

Chris Padilla
06-11-2004, 1:12 PM
Uh, what do you use a hammer for on a plane?

Manny Hernandez
06-11-2004, 1:28 PM
If ya woulda stayed a Tim's a little longer ya woulda seen me adjusting a Japanese plane with my hammer. ;)
Some planes don't have a mechanical adjuster to set the depth of the iron. So, you use a hammer to adjust the depth of cut. You tap the iron to increase the cut or tap the body to retract the iron. You tap the body on the backside of the plane or some planes have a "strike button" either on the top forward area or on the backside.

Dave Anderson NH
06-11-2004, 2:05 PM
I made my own from some brass rod, lignum vitae, and white ash for the handles. Yes, you can turn brass on a wood lathe with woodworking spindle gouges though it's a bit slow.

Manny Hernandez
06-11-2004, 2:16 PM
Jeesh! Those is the most purtiest plane adjusting hammers I've ever seen!
How did you attach the lignum to the brass? Epoxy?

Alan Turner
06-11-2004, 2:23 PM
Dave,
Even had I missed the name, I would have known your shop from the ever-present glass of wine. Are these gorgeous hammers part of the new Chester Toolworks offerings? Hope so, I can always use another striker.
Alan

Tim Sproul
06-11-2004, 3:59 PM
Dave,

Those are purdy...... :)

I'm guessing they are not for sale....I read your previous post on making them - 3-4 hours to turn the brass :eek: - Perhaps you'd offer them at $300 - $400/hammer...and that is probably on the low end.... ;)

Alan - is there something specific about the LV hammer you didn't like? weight? balance? Just wanting to know.....

Tim

Michael Campbell
06-11-2004, 5:22 PM
Tim, I have and use the LV one. Works fine for me, for what little I am able to play with the woodies.

Dave Anderson NH
06-11-2004, 5:42 PM
Manny- The lignum vitae head is bored and then turned to shape. It then is epoxied on to the end of the brass head which has a round 3/8" diameter by 1/2" long round tenon.

Alan And Tim- Yes, the hammers will be an offering of the Chester Toolworks and should be available on July 1st or a few days earlier at Wood Days at Canterbury Shaker Village. I farmed out the turning of the heads to a CNC shop and currently have 36 on order. If I made the heads myself on a wood lathe the hammers would cost over $125 each because of the turning time. They will sell for $45 since now I only do the lignum vitae, the handles, and the assembly and finishing. Not exactly cheap, but at least in the affordable range.