PDA

View Full Version : Standing dead walnut - safe lumber source?

John Keeton
12-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I have located a source for some rough cut walnut at a good price. I have not seen this wood yet as it is about 90 miles from me. However, I understand it came from trees that had died on this fellow's farm, and that he then sawed with a portable sawmill. It was cut this spring. He indicates in conversation that it is clean, no evidence of rot, infestation, etc.

What are the thoughts? Would you consider this at $1/ft? Need to know before I take the time to make the trip. Thanks!

David Christopher
12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I would take a trip and look first, my dad cut some dead oak some was good and some was bad my thoughts would to say that it would be OK

Brent Ring
12-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Even $2-$3/ft is not bad around here for that!

Kevin Godshall
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Most of the wood that I use is from dead trees that have been bandsawed. Only problem I run into sometimes is pith around the edges (depends how long was dead before it fell or was felled), and sometimes some worm holes.

Seeing how most sawyers charge in excess of 25 cents per foot, $1 per foot is a bargain. I would be on that dust on safety glasses.

Ted Calver
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I would jump at it. I've had very good experiences with dead walnut--both standing and downed. It appears that in my area the heartwood will resist decay and worms and just the sapwood attacked.

Mike Monroe
12-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Should be fine, walnut heartwood doesn't decay very fast.

David Keller NC
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I have located a source for some rough cut walnut at a good price. I have not seen this wood yet as it is about 90 miles from me. However, I understand it came from trees that had died on this fellow's farm, and that he then sawed with a portable sawmill. It was cut this spring. He indicates in conversation that it is clean, no evidence of rot, infestation, etc.

What are the thoughts? Would you consider this at $1/ft? Need to know before I take the time to make the trip. Thanks!

That depends a lot on how big the trees were, how they grew, whether the sawyer was skilled, and whether just the trunks were cut. If the limbs were sawn as well as the trunk and it's mixed together, stay away from it, as it's useless for anything other than small tool handles. Just about any branch wood from any species is filled with "reaction wood", which will move tremendously with changes in humidity. It's just not stable enough to build anything other than fence posts, and even that's questionable.

If the trees grew out in the open, they're likely to be full of knots, which would probably be graded as "#2 common". Around here, that stuff generally sells for about $2/b.f. On the other hand, if the trees were large and grew in a forest, then the wood from them will be largely clear. Such lumber will sell for about $8 b.f. in the larger (12" wide) sizes, depending on color and figure and whether or not its kiln dried.

Were I in your shoes, I'd ask for a couple of snapshots before you make the drive.

Richard M. Wolfe
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Given the part of the country I'm in I haven't had a lot of dealing with walnut, but knowing what it sells for at a supplier a buck a foot sounds like something I'd get just out of speculation. But then you do have the 90 mile trip to consider. The previous post brings up good points. How wide the boards are as the pith may well have to be removed due to reaction wood, clearness of the wood, etc. You will be air drying the wood and I have found walnut sapwood to be susceptible to powder post beetle. They don't go far into the heartwood but enough of them can cause considerable degrade.

Joe Chritz
12-10-2008, 5:18 PM
Yesterday if I could.

If nothing else it can be used in small sections for all kinds of things.

Joe

Gene Howe
12-10-2008, 6:08 PM
Do NOT accept his offer! It smells funny and the dust can be carcinogenic. That stuff is no good for anything.
Give me his address and I'll take care of it for you.:)

Larry Edgerton
12-10-2008, 7:13 PM
John, I used to cut a lot of dead Red Elm off of my farm and have it sawn, built a lot of beautiful things with it. I always enjoy making something out of wood that was a bargain!

One thing I do with non kiln dried before I bring it in the shop is spray it down with a Borax solution on all sides to eliminate any possibility of powder post beetles. Walnut is one of the woods that they like so pull a board out of the stack down a ways and see if you see any indication. If there is dust blow it away and see if it is hiding holes. You are more likely to find it in the center of the stack. This is still not a deal killer, its a bargaining position see, it is worth a little less now. :) At $.50 a foot it is a steal. I do not mind an occasional hole, adds character, and if treated with Borax there will be no future problem.

John Keeton
12-10-2008, 7:59 PM
The people have spoken!! I will plan a trip to check this out, and while I am at it, take my trailer. Hopefully, I end up with a good load of wood. He has 2,000 feet, give or take, and I would like to end up with at least half of it.

If this turns into a gloat I will post visible proof. Thanks again.

Chuck Thoits
12-10-2008, 8:00 PM
You give me the address and then you wont have to make a 90 mile trip. I on the other hand will have a long drive in front of me.:)
How many board feet of the stuff does the guy have?

John Keeton
12-10-2008, 8:12 PM
Chuck, apparently I was telepathic - or maybe it was you!! Seemed I felt a little wierd when I was typing and some hidden force told me to reveal the quantity. Strange how that works:D