PDA

View Full Version : My Quality Grinding Extension Wing!!!

Keith Starosta
12-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Yesterday was a good day. I met the UPS guy at the steps to my porch. "Man, this is darn heavy...", he said.

That's a whole lotta steel, my man!! :D

I hefted the box up onto the counter, and popped it open. I was met with this gleaming piece of steel...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/3098158298_b95640c0e3.jpg

It's a beautifully-crafted piece of work. Chris included three bolts that perfectly matched my saw...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/3098159118_4185823db4.jpg

Chris even autographed it for me!!! :D ;)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/3098158990_32b383959c.jpg

Now came the fun part...getting this beast onto my saw. At this point, I'm going to advice all of you against doing it alone...which is how I did it. :rolleyes: My entire house has been hit by the flu bug (including me), so nobody was available. But I just HAD to mount my new toy!! After assessing the situation, employing the use of some bracing, and a whole lotta patience, I finally got all three bolts in!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/3097320097_06a91e3813.jpg

Sure is purty!!! :D

The first thing I noticed is that I'm obviously going to need some bracing underneath. My plans are to build a cabinet.

Now, I have a question. This router extension replaced a smalled cast iron extension wing that came with the saw. That wing is only 10.25" wide. After standing and looking at the saw after I mounted the router wing, I started thinking, "Why couldn't I use the other wing, too?" Take a look at this picture...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/3097319937_82fe65f05f.jpg

I measured the length of the front and back rails, beyond the router wing, and there is plenty of room to mount the other wing. If I tapped the cast iron wing and the rails appropriately, and then braced everything, is there a reason that this wouldn't be a viable option?

I'll continue to update this thread as I install the plate and lift. Thanks for looking!

- Keith

glenn bradley
12-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I have one CI wing and a router top to the left of my blade and 2 CI extensions to the right with a third waiting to go on during a shop re-org after the first. I have front and rear rail to ground support at both ends. The left side supported by the router cabinet, the right side by a storage cabinet. Even thought it is all bolted together, I sometimes get the feeling that the saw is just visiting the space in the middle of all this other stuff ;-)

Greg Cole
12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice looking extension there... Keith. I like the way the blanchard ground surfaces look.
I have a phenolic router table to the left of my TS and moved the CI wing to the right side. Works just fine.
I didn't bother drilling and tapping, I just transferred the holes, drilled them out a bit oversize and used a nut.... this makes alignment easier, if you used threaded holes, you have to be dead nuts.

Jim Becker
12-10-2008, 10:23 AM
No reason NOT to employ that original cast iron wing...just be sure you have the saw supported with some legs to keep it from tipping.

The Quality wing looks great! Congratulations again...

Scott Myers
12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I agree. Sure is Purty. :)

Bruce Page
12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Very purdy!

Congrats again!

Mark Carlson
12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Keith,

I ordered the 24in version from Quality Grinding. I asked Chris to drill holes on both sides of the extension so I could mount my existing 10in cast iron extension to the end. I wouldn't tap these holes, if your using 7/16 in bolts drill a 1/2 in hole so you have some wiggle room for adjustment.

I'm looking forward to see more pictures with the router lift.

~mark

Doug Shepard
12-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Saweeeet. It's even better that you won it.

Dwain Lambrigger
12-10-2008, 5:42 PM
Keith,

That is really a beautiful piece of metal. How will you adjust the router plate? Will adjustment screws come with it?

Just curious.

Dwain

Don Bullock
12-10-2008, 5:50 PM
Congratulations Keith. Yep, I'm green with envy. That sure looks purdy on your saw. As long as you support everything adequately there is no reason you can't use the TS wing as well. That would make it even better.:D Mark has the right idea, "I wouldn't tap these holes, if your using 7/16 in bolts drill a 1/2 in hole so you have some wiggle room for adjustment."

Peter Quinn
12-10-2008, 7:01 PM
Looks like a beautiful unit there Keith. In use I would not want to reach in between the ends of those rails to use the router table, so i would either trim the rails, which seems like a crying shame if you have the space, or use the original iron wing and the new top.

I would get a mobile base for a cabinet saw which is long enough to support a unit with the long rails. you know the type I am talking about? Then you will still have mobility without adding bracing to the saws stand to keep it from tipping. Then I would replace the original iron top in its original location and connect the new top to the out side of that. Otherwise you will spend a life time of reaching over close to a 20' span to get to the collet, and reaching over 14" or so to use the miter gauge. I like TS out board mounted router lifts to be closer to the end. This will also give you some serious out board support for sheet goods and larger work. You may also find the TS fence makes a good fence for the router in many but not all situations.

I don't have an iron extension but I do have a lift in the out board and find it to be a great set up for my needs. Does a lot of work in a small foot print.

Russ Massery
12-10-2008, 7:41 PM
That's one sweet looking wing. The one thing I like about the metal wing is the ability to magnetic feather boards and the like on it.

Neal Clayton
12-10-2008, 9:51 PM
That's one sweet looking wing. The one thing I like about the metal wing is the ability to magnetic feather boards and the like on it.

that and the knowledge that you'll never be the one posting one of those "my router table is sagging" threads.

Jim O'Dell
12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
that and the knowledge that you'll never be the one posting one of those "my router table is sagging" threads.

No, but he might be posting one about the concrete floor sagging!!!:eek:
I agree with the others, that is beautiful! Jim.

Keith Outten
12-11-2008, 5:15 AM
Keith S,

Thats a nice piece if iron and I know you will enjoy using the new router table. Wait until you use it the first time, you will be impressed by the noise dampening. Make sure you invest in a varible speed router for your new table.

Walt Caza
12-11-2008, 7:38 AM
Congrats Keith,
It always bothers me a bit when guys get new toys and let them just sit in unopened boxes.
The fact that you installed it, both sick and without help, speaks loudly that the right guy won!
(and ,of course, you suck)

Nice to see that beauty installed.
Please keep us updated of any progress.
Hope you get some shop time,
Walt

ps Thanks go out to Chris for building sweet products, and a generous and terrific prize donation to our Creek.
Good show man

Keith Outten
12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I talked to Chris Brown a couple of days ago, he is considering another FreeStuff drawing here later this month. This time he may be providing the extension and the router lift to go with it.

I don't have a confirmation yet, lets hope that Chris can swing it...I expect it depends on sales so you guys who know you aren't going to win one of these please go ahead and order yours from Quality Grinding, you know you want one :)

Doug Shepard
12-11-2008, 1:35 PM
Keith
What is the distance on your's from the center of the miter slot to the RH end of the extension? And the side of the router opening to the RH end? I'm using my PM66 miter gauge to try and figure out a layout. It's 9" wide and I dont know if it matters if the end of it is completely on the extension or if overlapping the router plate is OK. The plate opening is closer to the end if it does overlap, which is probably better. There are some other tradeoffs there too. Were those distances anything you had a preference on or is the layout pretty much QG's decision. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a miter slot on either side of the opening but I'm delaying ordering one until I do some more measuring and figure out if I've got a desire for the slots/opening in certain locations and wondered what you've got and how you came up with it.

Jason White
12-11-2008, 2:11 PM
Good advice on not trying to install one of these alone. I learned that the hard way, too.

I installed a very similar unit made by Bench Dog on my contractor saw. VERY heavy and awkward to hold into place while drilling and bolting.

For what it's worth, I made a temporary stand out of 2x4's to hold the extension roughly in position while I attached it. This was after an hour or two of struggling and cursing, of course.

Don't put the other wing on there. It'll be too heavy. If you must have an extension, make it out of plywood or laminated particleboard.

JW

Yesterday was a good day. I met the UPS guy at the steps to my porch. "Man, this is darn heavy...", he said.

That's a whole lotta steel, my man!! :D

I hefted the box up onto the counter, and popped it open. I was met with this gleaming piece of steel...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/3098158298_b95640c0e3.jpg

It's a beautifully-crafted piece of work. Chris included three bolts that perfectly matched my saw...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/3098159118_4185823db4.jpg

Chris even autographed it for me!!! :D ;)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/3098158990_32b383959c.jpg

Now came the fun part...getting this beast onto my saw. At this point, I'm going to advice all of you against doing it alone...which is how I did it. :rolleyes: My entire house has been hit by the flu bug (including me), so nobody was available. But I just HAD to mount my new toy!! After assessing the situation, employing the use of some bracing, and a whole lotta patience, I finally got all three bolts in!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/3097320097_06a91e3813.jpg

Sure is purty!!! :D

The first thing I noticed is that I'm obviously going to need some bracing underneath. My plans are to build a cabinet.

Now, I have a question. This router extension replaced a smalled cast iron extension wing that came with the saw. That wing is only 10.25" wide. After standing and looking at the saw after I mounted the router wing, I started thinking, "Why couldn't I use the other wing, too?" Take a look at this picture...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/3097319937_82fe65f05f.jpg

I measured the length of the front and back rails, beyond the router wing, and there is plenty of room to mount the other wing. If I tapped the cast iron wing and the rails appropriately, and then braced everything, is there a reason that this wouldn't be a viable option?

I'll continue to update this thread as I install the plate and lift. Thanks for looking!

- Keith

Matt Benton
12-11-2008, 2:17 PM
I just clamped two 2x4's under my TS running from left to right, then put the wing in place on the 2x4's...

Keith Starosta
12-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Keith
What is the distance on your's from the center of the miter slot to the RH end of the extension? And the side of the router opening to the RH end? I'm using my PM66 miter gauge to try and figure out a layout. It's 9" wide and I dont know if it matters if the end of it is completely on the extension or if overlapping the router plate is OK. The plate opening is closer to the end if it does overlap, which is probably better. There are some other tradeoffs there too. Were those distances anything you had a preference on or is the layout pretty much QG's decision. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a miter slot on either side of the opening but I'm delaying ordering one until I do some more measuring and figure out if I've got a desire for the slots/opening in certain locations and wondered what you've got and how you came up with it.

Doug, I'm getting ready to hit the sheets, but if you want, I can get you those measurements tomorrow afternoon. As far as layout of the insert opening and the miter slot, that is just where QG put them. I don't have a problem with the layout, and don't expect any issues.

Regards,

Keith

Doug Shepard
12-12-2008, 5:46 AM
Keith
Thanks. Since those are QG's numbers I can get them from Chris to see how they compare to what I came up with last night.

Jim Becker
12-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Hmmm....looking at that picture again, with the space available for the original wing...I'd probably put that original back where it came from and put the new one fully to the right. More opportunity to leave the router setup while still using the saw for useful work and a more comfortable position to stand. But you do need legs to hold up all that weight for sure!

Chip Lindley
12-12-2008, 1:57 PM
Yes, legs OR a larger mobile stand FerSure!! The CI router table is very nice, but that long 50" fence rail will give you an appendectomy if you're not careful. For that very reason, I have my router mounted 14" from the end of my PM66 extension table. And, I route from right to left, facing the end of the table. This way I can move around the end of the table in any fashion I wish, to push or pull stock thru the featherboards. Setting up the router otherwise, IMO, limits necessary movement when working at a combined table saw/router table.

Keith Starosta
12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Hmmm....looking at that picture again, with the space available for the original wing...I'd probably put that original back where it came from and put the new one fully to the right. More opportunity to leave the router setup while still using the saw for useful work and a more comfortable position to stand. But you do need legs to hold up all that weight for sure!

Thanks for the advice, Jim. I didn't make myself clear enough in my original description. That is exactly what my plans are. I definitely don't want to lean an extra 10" into the router wing. I am in the process of designing the cabinetry that will go underneath, and will hopefully be a few steps closer to a lift by the end of the weekend.

- Keith

Mark Carlson
12-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Keith,

One issue you might run into is that your original extension wing will be machined on one side only. The other side which you will have to drill wont be very flat or square to the top, and will require shimming when attaching the new extension. Maybe a lot of shimming.

~mark