PDA

View Full Version : VS display -- readout

Tom Godley
12-10-2008, 8:54 AM
My new lathe is VS but it does not give a readout of the actual speed.

I had a discussion with a friend last night regarding his future lathe purchase and the importance of the readout.

I have used a lathe with a readout but did not find any great benefit in having it.

Arriving a what I believe to be a comfortable/ safe speed has not required this feature.

I was wondering how valuable people find it.

Judy Kingery
12-10-2008, 9:00 AM
Tom,

My little lathe has no readout, just manual pulley change and it's never been a problem as only 3 speeds, ha! But the big lathe does have a readout and I very seldom, if ever use it. In fact only looked one time just out of curiousity to see what my rpms were as someone asked.

I always seem to adjust for harmonics; I just look, listening is critical to me, and I feel as I turn in adjusting the speed. So to me really the readout is of little to no use other than just mere curiosity.

Best wishes to your friend in his future purchase,

Jude

Scott Lux
12-10-2008, 9:41 AM
Ditto what Judy said. My lathe has VS and no readout, but I can tell by ear how fast is right.

Jim Becker
12-10-2008, 9:42 AM
My Stubby has no readout. It's not a factor to me. If you know the ranges, you can guesstimate your current spindle speed, and as you become more comfortable and experienced with turning, you'll just "know" when the speed is right for the current state of whatever you have on the machine.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2008, 10:10 AM
My Jet 1642 does have a readout and I guess that I am one of the few folks who actually looks at it. If anything, I probably run the lathe a little slower than if I didn't have the readout as higher numbers cause me concern. Course, you still have to adjust for harmonics and usually that means turning up the speed - if you are not roughing out a blank.

Probably the only time I really count on the display and adjust the speed to a preset level is when I run the Beale buffing system. I like having the lathe right around 1200 rpm - fast enough to work and slow enough I have some time before the wheel burns through the finish!

Tom Godley
12-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Being newly reintroduced to the lathe I did not want to just give him a quick answer.

But I could not think of a reference point for its use.

In the different books I have looked over -- or when instructors have discussed operations. No one has said "keep the speed at 800 rpm"

With the cost of electronics being so cheap today - it probability does not add much to the overall cost of the product anyway.

Bob Hallowell
12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I put a vfd on mine and don't have or need a read out, it goes form darn slow to darn fast with a twist of the knob. I run it at the speed it looks safe. With my calculations I think it goes form 80rpm to 2400rpm but I have no clue for sure and it has never bothered me not having one.

Bob

Harvey Schneider
12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
My Jet 1642 does have a readout and I guess that I am one of the few folks who actually looks at it.

I think that most turners who became accustomed to turning before there were displays have little use for them. Those of us who learned with displays make use of them.
I guess what I am trying to say is that technology is often a substitute for the judgment that is borne of experience.

My primary use of the display is when sanding bowls. I find that anything greater than about 250-300 RPM raises too much dust and generates too much heat. I could experimentally determine the correct setting each time, but it is easier and faster to set the speed where it needs to be at the start.
I could live without it, but I would rather not.

Reed Gray
12-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I have had 4 lathes, and none have had a readout. Never felt the need for one. Just do what feels right.

The quote from Patsfan is "when sphincter tightening exceeds chuck tightening, you have a problem". Words to turn by.

robo hippy

Reed Gray
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I have had 4 lathes now, and have never had a readout. Of course, I don't feel the need for one now. If you pay attention to how it 'feels' then you know.

Borrowing a quote from Patsfan, "when sphincter tightening exceeds chuck tightening, you have a problem." Words to turn by.

robo hippy

Richard Madison
12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
The readout is probably most useful to the beginning turner who needs some guidelines for safe speeds for various operations (roughing, general turning, finish cuts) and material sizes. With some experience, as most have stated, we just turn it up to "about there". I do refer to the readout for sanding speed and forstner drilling.

Unfortunately most beginning turners will not have a lathe with digital readout. So, the readout was very helpful to me when I first got it, is still useful, and am glad I have it.

Nathan Hawkes
12-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I have had 4 lathes, and none have had a readout. Never felt the need for one. Just do what feels right.

The quote from Patsfan is "when sphincter tightening exceeds chuck tightening, you have a problem". Words to turn by.

robo hippy

ROFLMAO.

I just got a VFD and 3phase motor to put on my setup, and it doesn't have a readout--there is a way to show motor RPM, but that doesn't help me much. I'm more concerned about the harmonic vibrations than anything else.

Frank Kobilsek
12-10-2008, 2:24 PM
For normal turning having knowledge of the RPM does not add any value to my experience, but when I am using certain decorating or texturing tools such as a Chatter tool or Sorby Texture tool, repeating a pattern requires matching the speed. I also note the speed at which my Woodcut coring tools seems to be cutting smoothest and will go back to that speed thru that whole batch of slabs.

So no not neesecary but nice at certain times.

Frank

Gordon Seto
12-10-2008, 3:13 PM
I have seen a lot of professional demos at our Clubs and been to several symposiums. "What lathe speed are you turning at?" was a common question. More than 9 out of 10, the demonstrators didn't know the answer. One common practice was if the lathe has VS, they started slow, gradually increase the speed after some of the unbalanced material was removed. The turning speed is by feeling.

I have a Nova DVR which can adjust the speed by 5 rpm increment. I don't think it is an asset. I never set the speed by the readout. If it shakes or I don't feet safe, I back off the speed. If I feel comfortable, I increase the speed.

Bob Noles
12-10-2008, 5:26 PM
Just my personal opinion, but I feel it is just more unneeded fluff to drive up the cost.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2008, 5:40 PM
Really don't see a need for it. I never use it. I just do what feels right and what I am comfortable with.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I use mine. I have one on the PM but didn't have one on the VS Mini Jet. It comes in handy but is not a necessity.

Barry Stratton
12-11-2008, 12:39 AM
I have one with and one without.

I used to stare at the readout all the time but now mainly look at it while power sanding.

My Stubby has no readout. It's not a factor to me. If you know the ranges, you can guesstimate your current spindle speed, and as you become more comfortable and experienced with turning, you'll just "know" when the speed is right for the current state of whatever you have on the machine.

Yep, 0 rpms are pretty easy to guesstimate:eek:. When is the last time you found time to actually turn that lathe on Jim??:D:rolleyes:;)

alex carey
12-11-2008, 1:02 AM
I have it and I like to see what speed I am at but it has no real use. I think of it like a car. You don't really need to see the rpm but its nice. It's all feel and sound.

Jim Becker
12-11-2008, 9:05 AM
When is the last time you found time to actually turn that lathe on Jim??

You are wicked! And mean!! Bully!!! :o (I actually did switch it on a couple weeks ago, but not to turn...) It's true that my schedule as of late has not been conducive to a lot of woodworking due to business travel and equestrian things. But I'm back in the shop weekly now, getting some projects moving and some of them will be at my beloved Stubbalina. I was honestly hoping to be able to get turning time in during the week in the evenings (since my flat-work happens on the weekends when I have time), but dealing with meals, homework and other activities for the girls as well as having to get up at oh-dark-thirty for my 7th grader's 6:50 bus has all but killed that idea.

That said, I can confirm that I am very able to estimate zero RPMs! :D I'm not too bad with the rest of the range up to 1200, either...interestingly, the sound changes subtly as the speed increases and you learn to listen for both that and for vibration in the case of an unbalanced workpiece.

Tom DiBiasio
02-06-2009, 9:42 AM
I am just wondering if anyone know how to "ADD" an rpm read out to a VS lathe that does not have it. I just purchased a Jet 1220vs and would like to add a digital RPM readout.

Any ideas

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2009, 9:49 AM
Tom - this subject came up a little while ago and I believe there was a solution offered. Check out the thread here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102344&highlight=digital

Hope that helps!