PDA

View Full Version : Rail and stile fit... too picky?

David Rose
06-10-2004, 10:55 PM
This is cut with a miniature set by Whiteside that I bought from Woodcraft on sale a few months ago. My only other experience is an old Bosch set from the borg a few years ago. The Bosch set, even though more elaborate is a near airtight fit.

Shimming obviously will not effect the overcut thumbnail.

This isn't as sharp as I would have liked, but all the shadowed area is open. For perspective the pieces are 3/4" thick. Whiteside will probably take care of it, but I am starting to prep material and am about to need it. Also, the set is not listed any longer. If I'm being picky, please tell me. I mean... not that you wouldn't. :D

David

Todd Burch
06-10-2004, 11:08 PM
David, if you are looking for mediocre results, then that is what you have! I would let Whiteside take care of the problem. I would consider that unacceptable.

So, is that CHERRY perhaps?!!!

David Rose
06-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Todd, I wasn't sure it would qualify for mediocre. But I did want further opinions. I know they can be much closer because of the fit of the Bosch.

Naw! No cherry yet. I've just started milling boards. I don't have scrap until I know that everything left is unusable. :D The parts are walnut and maple scraps.

David

David, if you are looking for mediocre results, then that is what you have! I would let Whiteside take care of the problem. I would consider that unacceptable.

So, is that CHERRY perhaps?!!!

Lars Thomas
06-10-2004, 11:42 PM
What you've got there is an optical illusion. I had to look at that pic a few times before I could even see the rail!! No amount of shimming will tighten that up. I'm with Todd, I'd let Whiteside address the problem for you.

David Rose
06-10-2004, 11:49 PM
LOL. I saw that after I posted it too. In the pic it showed with no illusion. Odd. I just wrote WS and sent them the same pic. We'll see what they say.
Hopefully, their service is as good as their bits normally are.

David

What you've got there is an optical illusion. I had to look at that pic a few times before I could even see the rail!! No amount of shimming will tighten that up. I'm with Todd, I'd let Whiteside address the problem for you.

Phil Phelps
06-11-2004, 8:37 AM
...it looks good to me David. 'Course I'm a great fan of Ray Charles, RIP. :(
Seriously, they gotta' be perfect. Let us know what the rep say.

Greg Heppeard
06-11-2004, 10:21 AM
David,

When I get back to the store on Sunday, I'll see if we have another set of bits. I'll run some sample pieces and make sure that they have a good fit, if we have them in stock. If we don't have them in stock, I will order a new set from Whiteside and check them before replacing yours. Would you email the pic to me at the store, please?

Chris Padilla
06-11-2004, 12:45 PM
David,

I assume there is no gap under the thumbnail? We can't see it in the pic since its hidden. Obviously if there was a gap there, shimming would help.

That said, I would deem this unacceptable and that you are certainly not picky at all. There are plenty of matching rail/stile bits that are dead on...no reason these shouldn't be.

It may be trick photography but that maple appears to have an interesting pattern/grain on it!

Donnie Raines
06-11-2004, 1:21 PM
David,

I assume there is no gap under the thumbnail? We can't see it in the pic since its hidden. Obviously if there was a gap there, shimming would help.

That said, I would deem this unacceptable and that you are certainly not picky at all. There are plenty of matching rail/stile bits that are dead on...no reason these shouldn't be.

It may be trick photography but that maple appears to have an interesting pattern/grain on it!
Chris,

The pattern you see is actually the edge that is quarter sawn. Look at a board of maple some time and you will likely see it along the edge...or even the face depending on how the log was cut. Cherry does the same thing.

David Rose
06-11-2004, 4:06 PM
I emailed Whiteside last night, and the reply was here when I checked just now. I've not sent the bits yet, so I'm hoping that there won't be a delay. I offered to give them a credit card number if needed. I am really impressed with their bits. I suspect the service is going to be the same. :)

David

<< David, this is Chris Miller, the Sales Manager at Whiteside. I got with Todd our plant manager and he is sending you today a brand new set to replace the one you sent to us. He isn't sure what happened but said we wanted to take care of you and get you back in the shop!

We appreciate your support and your dedication to our made in the USA router cutting tools. We do apologize for any issues. Please have a great weekend.

Chris>>

Donnie Raines
06-11-2004, 4:13 PM
Thats good to see! I figured that would be the response you would receive.

David Rose
06-11-2004, 4:14 PM
Whoa! Hold on Greg! One of the guys at your store said that Whiteside doesn't necessarily support you on bit returns. Because of that, I'd rather go direct on this replacement if it works OK. If there are problems, I'll let you help. And I greatly appreciate the offer.

Man! What a deal! Post a question about whether a bit is OK, and people crawl out of the woodwork to replace it for you! I guess that's what I get for trying to buy quality product from quality people. :eek:

David

David,

When I get back to the store on Sunday, I'll see if we have another set of bits. I'll run some sample pieces and make sure that they have a good fit, if we have them in stock. If we don't have them in stock, I will order a new set from Whiteside and check them before replacing yours. Would you email the pic to me at the store, please?

David Rose
06-11-2004, 4:17 PM
Chris the fit is excellent elsewhere on the profile. I bought the bits as a set, but cannot remember if they could have been packaged seperately. I don't know if *all* bits with the same number should interchange or if they are somewhat fitted to each other.

David

David,

Greg Heppeard
06-11-2004, 6:46 PM
David,

It's true that we've had a couple of problems with getting bits replaced by Whiteside at the store level. I think that they were isolated instances tho. I was just following thru with the company policy, if for any reason you are dissatisfied with our product, we'll replace it or refund your money within one year. I tend to push the customer service at our store. I find customer service lacking in most of the other stores in the area, not only woodworking stores.I just try to treat people like I would want to be treated.

If Whiteside falls short of your expectations, give me a call. :)