PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Ross Lowry
12-09-2008, 8:32 PM
Well I got a new computer the other day and it has Vista on it.
So what all problems have people had with this O/S so I know what to expect?
I think I am going to have to upgrade from Correl12 to X3.

Thanks

Dan Hintz
12-09-2008, 9:37 PM
Make sure you grab SP1, and once it comes out in the next month or so, SP2.

Tim Bateson
12-09-2008, 10:25 PM
From other posts here the problems very from machine to machine. I know some have had Corel problems. I have to run PhotoGrav in XP mode even though they claim it's Vista ready. You do eventually get use to Vista, but you'll always dream of XP reliability and capability.

Jim Watkins
12-09-2008, 11:51 PM
I run Corel x4 and photograve 3.0 with no problems. Just had to settle for the beta version of Epilog's driver for my Mini 24

Steve Clarkson
12-10-2008, 5:40 AM
I run Corel x4 and photograve 3.0 with no problems. Just had to settle for the beta version of Epilog's driver for my Mini 24

Ditto what Jim said.

Ross Lowry
12-10-2008, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Mitchell Andrus
12-10-2008, 9:07 AM
I just got a Dell XPS laptop. It's one of few models that they offer with XP Pro installed with Vista installed for 'upgrading' later. My wife has a laptop with XP Pro and one with Vista (she's a database mgr for Verizon). She hates Vista, but she's a power user.

Laplinking later today. Wish me luck.

Scott Shepherd
12-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Just as a side note, the next version of operating system from Microsoft has been released to the media. It should be out in less than 10 months and it's supposed to be what Vista should have been in the first place.

Bill Cunningham
12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Just as a side note, the next version of operating system from Microsoft has been released to the media. It should be out in less than 10 months and it's supposed to be what Vista should have been in the first place.

Ahhh! Let the bug shoot begin..:D

I just got a new machine, and had the choice of Vista or XP Pro.. It was a no brainer..

Scott Shepherd
12-12-2008, 8:00 AM
It's called Windows 7 (yeah, don't try and figure it out, you won't) and here's a link to it :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

You can google it and find more info from sources in the industry rather than from Microsoft.

Dave Johnson29
12-12-2008, 11:41 AM
It's called Windows 7 (yeah, don't try and figure it out, you won't)

Hi Scott,

I can shed some light on that, not that anyone probably cares. :):eek:

Way back when there was a Business operating system NT (New Technology) that was being developed in parallel with Retail windows, like win95 etc.

The numbering back then was NT-3 and I do not recall seeing an NT-1 or NT-2. It developed to NT-4 and after some quaint Retail systems like Millennium, it was decided to base all operating systems on NT and abandon the retail vein. Thus windows 2000 was born based on NT-4 and coded as 5.0

Next came XP which was pretty much a graphic enhancement on 2000 so they coded that as 5.5, hey this IS M$oft so it does not always have to make sense.

Finally the much beloved/maligned Vista arrived and was coded as 6.0 so now we have a complete departure from Vista for the coming release Operating System, Windows 7. Easy huh? :)

When I say "coded as" I mean as a programmer I can identify the operating system with a System Call and it will return a number, and in Vista's case it returns 6.0, XP 5.5, W2K 5.0 etc. There are other numbers following to identify the version (Basic, Home, Pro, Ent etc) of each incarnation.

Hey, you up the back there... Wake up, you are snoring!!!! :D

Lisa Walter
12-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Well I got a new computer the other day and it has Vista on it.
So what all problems have people had with this O/S so I know what to expect?
I think I am going to have to upgrade from Correl12 to X3.

Thanks

I have run my laser with Vista right from the start with no trouble. I had the original photograv (can't think of what version it was sorry) and upgraded to the new version with no troubles. I use Corel x3. I really really expected problems from the get go and was kind of ticked off that the new laptop had vista when I thought it was going to have xp but I have been trouble free (knock on wood!!). Good luck.

Lisa

Jim Watkins
12-14-2008, 1:37 PM
The question I have is will this new Windows 7 be a 64 bit or 32 bit operating system? And if you have the 64 bit, can you update to Windows 7 and go back to a 32 bit system?

My Vista OS is 64 bit and it upsets me that I can not get the upgraded drivers or new features from Epilog due to the fact that the 64 bit system is not popular. In fact a Epilog rep told me that until more people get the 64 bit system, they will not go to the trouble of updating/creating a full time driver for these systems and will stay with the beta for the forseable future.

While this is not a knock against Epilog, as I am happy with my laser, however I do wish they would keep in mind that their customers do upgrade and need them to at least keep up with the times.

Off my soap box.

Tim Bateson
12-14-2008, 5:25 PM
I agree Jim. I think a majority of the new PCs/laptops for sale are already 64bit. I'm guessing the only reason any 32bit machines are being built is to use up the supply of of these outdated processors.

Jerry Hay
12-14-2008, 7:04 PM
I just bought a new hp laptop and I made sure to get the 32 bit vista.
I have a laser pro spirit and there were drivers for that. I also was concerned about the amount or ram I could run. I wanted at least 3 gigs of ram so 32 bit will see that with no problem I was not so sure what 64 would be able to use. I never have had any problems after the battle to install all the laser drivers. I can run Adobe Photoshop, Corel draw x4, Itunes, and surf the web with no problem whatsoever, I never crash or have any lag time. I have even thrown Illustrator and yahoo messenger on top of all that and still checked my email. All of that at once and still nothing. I still play The Sims 2 the only thing I had to do for that was to run that program in XP compatability. I think that could be done with any older versions of software that will run on XP.

Dan Hintz
12-14-2008, 8:04 PM
Technically, a 64-bit OS can handle 16 exaBytes (4GB * 4GB), though you'd be hard-pressed to find hardware that can handle the addressing necessary.

Jim, Windows 7 will be available in both 32- and 64-bit versions, so no worries.