PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dogs: Square or Rectangular?

Lyndon Graham
12-09-2008, 4:24 PM
There are 2 types of non-round bench dogs:

3/4" Square and rectalgular 5/8'' x 3/4'' hole for about

Since I have not cut my holes yet, should I have a preference?

Steve Sawyer
12-09-2008, 4:44 PM
I've used both, Lyndon.

I built a Frank Klausz-designed European-style bench almost 30 years ago with the square dogs. Then I built a bench that's a slightly modified version of Chris Schwartz' Holtzappfel bench, with round dogs.

So far I haven't missed the square dogs one bit, and the round holes are much easier to make. I also only have ONE row of holes in my bench. I had to have an extra row of 3/4" holes in the old bench to accommodate holdfasts and the other bench accessories that use 3/4" holes.

The square dogs are elegant and traditional, but I think I'm happy about the choice I made on the new bench.

Chris Padilla
12-09-2008, 4:57 PM
I prefer pentagons.... ;)

Justin Green
01-28-2012, 4:04 PM
The Shaker bench in Landis' book had 3/4" by 1" rectangular holes and the wrought iron dogs were 11" long!

Michael Peet
01-28-2012, 6:41 PM
The Shaker bench in Landis' book had 3/4" by 1" rectangular holes and the wrought iron dogs were 11" long!

My dogs are also 3/4" x ~1", made from ash. They seem to be holding up well in this size. Lyndon, why not make your own dogs whatever size you like, then cut the holes to match (or vice versa)? They are reasonably easy to fabricate.

Mike

Ryan Baker
01-29-2012, 3:54 PM
3/4" round.

Guy Belleman
01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
After taking a dovetailing course and seeing the value of a holdfast, along with the time spent between making the holes and fabricating the dogs, I became convinced that "round" was the best way for "me" to go. That may not be for the historical purist though.

Mark Denovich
01-30-2012, 1:38 PM
3/4" round in my split-top roubo. In addition to doubling as somewhere to put hold fasts (The Gramercy ones are excellent) it aslo simplifies construction. To make the square holes first you need to saw, rout them out, and you generally do it before you you glue up... so the glue up process is a bit more fiddly. Since it can be about the last thing you do, you can get the whole bench together, square it up/flatten the top, and then see what spacing makes the most sense. I drilled mine with a 3/4" auger and a 18v cordless drill on low speed through my 4" thick top... no problem. Use two mirrors at 90" to each other and the top as a handy way of visually keeping your drill perpendicular. Once you get the auger started true, it will do the rest of the work.

David Giles
01-30-2012, 1:44 PM
One bench has square dog holes. The other bench has round holes. The round holes allow the dog to be rotated to fit slightly angled boards. This is a real advantage in my opinion. The square dogs always line up square with board without adjustment. This is also a real advantage in my opinion. Some people have no opinions; I have extra ones.
Whatever is easiest to make.

Jerome Hanby
01-30-2012, 2:06 PM
The use of holdfasts and other gadgets that can secure to dog holes wins the argument for me in favor of round holes.