PDA

View Full Version : Need some pen turning tools now!

Jim Ketron
06-10-2004, 7:20 PM
Hello everyone just foundout I WON the OliveWood pen blanks!:D I have wanted to start turning pens, now I have a good reason to get the things to do it with.
What are your sug on what kits, mandrels, or whatever else I need to make them?( I already have a lathe)
I plan to buy some blanks to practice on.
Thanks
Jim

Chris Padilla
06-10-2004, 8:11 PM
Congrats, Jim (boy, you sure know how to rub it in! :p )

Dan Stuewe
06-10-2004, 8:15 PM
When I started I went to a WoodCraft and had someone there help me. I started with a few simple slim-line kits and the appropriate drill bit and bushings. I quickly moved onto other kits and more bushings (on a side note, I'd love to hear how everyone keeps all this stuff organized!).

As far as I've seen, one mandral will do it all. I've heard about "Professional" mandrals that make it easier to work with shorter tubes. This would be a nice feature, but not mandatory. I've also heard that you must use the bushings from whatever retailer you buy the kits from, but so far I haven't had a problem with mine (Woodcraft and Berea and maybe Penn State). Speaking of which, those are three of the big suppliers. I think another big one is Craft Supply - or something like that. I haven't received a Woodcraft catalog in awhile, but they had a really nice chart showing all that is needed for each pen/pencil/... kit they sell...very handy!

Hope this helps. There is a ton of experiance here, so do hesitate to ask questions.

Oh, by the way, I really started with the book "Turning Pens And Pencils" by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham. I felt reading it let me hit the ground running.

John Shuk
06-10-2004, 8:34 PM
Penn State Industries has alot of great pen turning supplies at good prices. They also have a set of High speed steel tools that can be had from Harbor freight for about half the cost from PSI. I have them and they are a great value and good for pens and such. $29.99 for high speed steel can't be beat. I don't even feel bad when I mess up a little at the grinder. Good Luck!

Brad Schmid
06-10-2004, 9:07 PM
Congratulations there Jim, nice score! That's some beautiful wood.

On to the stuff:

I have both Penn State and Woodcraft mandrels and bushings. I like the Woodcraft better, the bushings are machined to fit the mandrel a little better I think, and the Penn State mandrel is longer and if I use it I have to use spacers (actually extra slimline bushings) to compensate for the length.

You'll need drill bits and barrel trimmers to match the tube size of the pens you're making and of course glue (I like using 15 min epoxy or CA).

Nice to have's, but not absolutely necessary:
Pen blank vice for drilling on the drill press (can use a clamp)
pen press for pressing parts together (can use a large vise and/or clamp)
tube insertion tool (fingers if you don't mind glue on them)

Turning tools:
I got real lazy about switching tools when doing pens, so I usually turn them from start to finish with a skew if the chosen profile allows for it. Depending on type of pen, you may need a parting tool as is with the Classic American style pen with a center ring. You may be more comfortable with a small roughing gouge and spindle gouge though. I know alot of people hate skews :)

Finish:
Many choices here... Perhaps a read of past threads will give you ideas of the many things people are using. Sanding sealers, Friction polishes, CA, HUT, homebrew and varios combinations are very popular; and don't forget fine grit abrasives.

There are some real expert pen turners on here, so I'm sure others will add they're usual great advice.

Can't wait to see some pics of your pens!

Dan - I know what you mean about organizing all this stuff. I finally settled on a Plano tackle box, the kind with a clear cover with lots of compartments of varios sizes. Inside, I use 35mm film cans to put the bushings in and lable them for their different uses. They fit perfect in the smallest compartments. Works pretty well.

Brad

thomas prevost
06-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Pen State Industries:) has been giving out their DVD on pen making fee. Might check and see if they are still available.:) Their supplies are somewhat cheaper than Woodcraft and often the same manufacturer.

John M. Cioffi
06-11-2004, 7:07 AM
:D Glad to see you are as happy as I am. I won the other 15 blanks.
I decided that i'll continue to practice alot more before I turn this precious stock, so that they will come out as beautiful as Ken's.
I want to bless my Wife with the 1st one,so I want it to be perfect.

All the responders gave you some good info. Make sure you "calibrate" your mandrel on the lathe, so that it won't turn off-center & one side is bigger that the other.
Have a great time turning & hope to see pics soon.

John:D

Christopher Pine
06-11-2004, 10:38 AM
I have a couple folks I use for penmaking tools and supplies both are very good!
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/
http://www.woodturningz.com/
I have no relationship to these folks just satisfied customer.. thats all.

Chris Pine

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-12-2004, 8:19 PM
As far as a Pen Turning tool, I was taught using a 1-1/2" roughing gouge! Hmmmmmmmm you're saying. Why such a big tool for such a small job. The teacher said "Just to show you that you can make very small things without having to go to micro tools!" I keep it really sharp, and except for the times I have to do something special, like triming an end for a ring, etc., when I use a 1/8" parting tool, it's the only tool I use.

Bruce

Dennis Peacock
06-13-2004, 12:42 AM
I use Berea Hardwoods pen kits almost exclusively. The best pen kits I have ever used and my customers just love them.

Turning tools? All you really need is a 3/8" spindle gouge. A 1" square skew is really nice for turning pens as well. I have turned a LOT of pen and all I ever use is the 3/8" spindle gouge and the 1" square skew chisel. Once you get the "hang" of using a skew on making pens, you can really crank out the pens quickly. I've gotten it down to 7 minutes from start to finish (turning and applying a finish).

Get you a roll of 400 grit, 1" wide sandpaper from Klingspor and a roll of 600 grit, 1" wide. Great sandpaper and you don't have to spend a lot of time ripping up sheets of sandpaper for sanding pens.

BTW, don't toss you shavings from your pen turning, use them to burnish the pens surface after sanding with 600 grit, apply Hut Crystal Coat and your done.

Congrats on your winnings and happy pen turning.