PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust necessary for marking metal?

Bryan Cowan
12-09-2008, 3:23 PM
We've been marking metal with our FiberMark since April and it really doesn't produce to much debris. With our current layout, we had an exhaust pumping the air inside the room, not even venting outside. There has been no unusual smell or the like. Is an exhaust for marking metal really necessary? We do have air assist being pumped into the system while metal is being marked.

I'm basically trying to limit the noise pollution if the exhaust isn't as critical as originally thought.

Thanks

Rob Bosworth
12-09-2008, 4:36 PM
I would exhaust the effluents from marking metal. Some of the bi-products produced from laser processing metals can be extremely toxic. Each metal and each alloy will emit different products. I would exhaust for health reasons. I would also exhaust it because the effluents rise because they are hot, and will build up on your optics.

Bryan Cowan
12-09-2008, 5:01 PM
I would exhaust the effluents from marking metal. Some of the bi-products produced from laser processing metals can be extremely toxic. Each metal and each alloy will emit different products. I would exhaust for health reasons. I would also exhaust it because the effluents rise because they are hot, and will build up on your optics.

Aside from the extra cleaning of the optics which I figured, I don't know about the whole toxicity of the material as you had mentioned. Like I said earlier, there's no real distinct smell coming from the exhaust when marking the metal. Not to say all toxic fumes need to smell, but usually they do.

Angus Hines
12-09-2008, 5:14 PM
:eek::eek: Like Co2 it's the ones you DON'T smell that will KILLYOU !!!! :eek::eek:

Always Exaahust !!!

Bryan Cowan
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
:eek::eek: Like Co2 it's the ones you DON'T smell that will KILLYOU !!!! :eek::eek:

Always Exaahust !!!

Carbon Dioxide kills? ;)

Just kidding, I know what you meant. But I highly doubt anything toxic is coming off of steel, brass and stainless steel. Since it seems to be matter of opinion, I'll disconnect the exhaust until we have a viable option for exhausting the fumes.

Angus Hines
12-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I wasnt thinking about the metal itself but more about what comes off of the Fibrmark/Cermark when it burns on to the metal.

Bryan Cowan
12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I wasnt thinking about the metal itself but more about what comes off of the Fibrmark/Cermark when it burns on to the metal.

We aren't using any Cermark. With the FiberMark, it marks directly onto the metals without any additional prep.

Gary Sheriff
12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Bryan,
You are correct, marking metals with a fiber does not create smoke as a CO2 laser does with wood, paper or plastics. One of the important factors of exhaust is keeping the optical path from the end of the laser head to the work piece clean. Any smoke will block the beam and you don't get any lasing action. Of course, materials that will create toxic fumes are a concern, but typical metals are usually ok. I know a lot of people that are using fiber or YAG systems to mark metals and they do not use any exhausting at all.

The air assist pump is also typically not needed regarding processing the material. If properly designed, the air pump will help to keep the lens from getting dirty from the dust that is created.

If you are marking anodized aluminum, you will create a lot of dust and therefore need to clean the lens fairly often. If you are working around CNC equipment, then there will be oil in the air and over time you will need to clean the lens from the oil that will collect on the lens. I know this from experience.

- Gary

Bryan Cowan
12-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Bryan,
You are correct, marking metals with a fiber does not create smoke as a CO2 laser does with wood, paper or plastics. One of the important factors of exhaust is keeping the optical path from the end of the laser head to the work piece clean. Any smoke will block the beam and you don't get any lasing action. Of course, materials that will create toxic fumes are a concern, but typical metals are usually ok. I know a lot of people that are using fiber or YAG systems to mark metals and they do not use any exhausting at all.

The air assist pump is also typically not needed regarding processing the material. If properly designed, the air pump will help to keep the lens from getting dirty from the dust that is created.

If you are marking anodized aluminum, you will create a lot of dust and therefore need to clean the lens fairly often. If you are working around CNC equipment, then there will be oil in the air and over time you will need to clean the lens from the oil that will collect on the lens. I know this from experience.

- Gary

I'm pretty anal when it comes to keeping things clean, so in no way will our laser ever become a complete mess. I wash the table, lens/mirrors, and exhaust ports more often than probably necessary.

But for right now, we're not marking anodized aluminum. I want to, but we have other means for it.

No CNC machinery around either. We have a pretty clean/quiet operation here.

Thanks