PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Husky vertical compressor from Home Depot?

Lewis Cobb
12-09-2008, 2:22 PM
I've been looking at compressors off and on for some time. Still have not parted with my money but I'm taking a shining to the Husky brand vertical units at Home Depot. The size is perfect for my shop cause the footprint is small, it's got a cast iron oiled pump which should last and be much quieter than those wake the dead pankake units, and the reviews seem to be decent. Looks to have enough cfm to spin some air wrenches and air tools as well.

Anyone have one of these and care to comment in the hopes I can be nudged off the fence ? The model number I have been looking at is the VT6315 and it's either 26 gallon or 30 gallon depending on where you look on the advertising.

Thanks !
Lewis

Joe Pelonio
12-09-2008, 2:32 PM
I have the Coleman that's very similar in size, but oiless and that sucker could wake the dead. I use it only for automotive air tools and occasional sandblasting because of that and have others that I use for other tasks. What I did when buying since then was to actually make the store plug
them in and run them so I could see how loud they were. Unfortunately most do not give a decibel rating as they do now on dishwashers.

Lewis Cobb
12-09-2008, 2:40 PM
I have the Coleman that's very similar in size, but oiless and that sucker could wake the dead. I use it only for automotive air tools and occasional sandblasting because of that and have others that I use for other tasks. What I did when buying since then was to actually make the store plug
them in and run them so I could see how loud they were. Unfortunately most do not give a decibel rating as they do now on dishwashers.

Now that's an idea - I'll wander off to the HD here in the next day or so and have them plug the one in they have on the floor. It's the larger model but I think had the same engine on it.

We used to have one of those coleman-like oilless units at my work. It was in the lab just outside my office and when I was in there at night - alone with just the sound of the wind gently rattling the sides of the steel building, it would sometimes come on cause someone forgot to turn it off when they left for the day. It's a wonder someone never came in the next morning and found me bolt upright in my chair, stiff as a post with my eyes wide open....

Tom Veatch
12-09-2008, 3:26 PM
...Husky brand vertical units at Home Depot...

Can't speak directly to the Husky brand, but I bought a 60 gal (or was it 80. I'll have to go look) vertical model from Lowes - "Kobalt", I believe they call it. I doubt there's a lot of difference between them. Wouldn't surprise me if they came off the same assembly line and got painted red for HD and blue for Lowes. Was looking at both, Husky and Kobalt, a couple or three years ago when I was shopping for a compressor and don't recall at this point why I went with blue instead of red.

Don't know the Db rating on it, but when it's running the noise is obvious, but not overly obtrusive. I really don't notice it unless I'm in the same room. All in all, I've been pleased.

Ken Baker
12-09-2008, 3:27 PM
If you don't need to roll it around - look at the VT6314.

The VT6315 is $399 for 2 HP, 30 GAL and the SCFM (VERY IMPORTANT) is 5.5 at 90PSI. And as mentioned it is LOUD.

The VT6314 is $449 for 3 HP, 60 GAL, and the SCFM is 10.2 at 90 PSI.

I just replaced my old Craftsman same model, I couldn't hold a conversation within 10 yards of it when it ran. I bought the VT6325 Campbell Hausfeld at Lowes - same compressor - blue instead of red. I can talk standing right next to it.

If you live near Orange County I'll make you a great deal on the Craftsman!!

Bill White
12-09-2008, 7:05 PM
will be vertical 'cause of the footprint issue you mentioned. My old (1978 issue) Craftsman with a Leeson motor is still goin', but don't know for how much longer. Will buy an oiled compressor just to keep the racket down.
Bill

Chris Rosenberger
12-09-2008, 9:38 PM
I owned a 5hp 80 gallon Husky compressor for three years. I sold it last year in a shop down sizing. It was a very good compressor & was built by Campbell Hausfeld.

Gene E Miller
12-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Greetings & Salutations,

I have a Campbell Hausfield 80 Gallon that I got on sale at
Tractor Supply for $399 about 18 months ago. It is a 2 cyl
compressor that runs on 220 and does a nice job. It does
make some noise when running but I installed it on the outside
of my closed in shop in the bigger part of my shop building so
I don't hear it much thru the insulated wall.

With the large tank size I also can use it quite a bit for blowing
dust off machines and such before it cycles on.

I also have a 26 Gal portable upright that I got from Harbor
Freight that does a nice job for small jobs but if I am using a
nailer a lot it will run much more. I do like that fact that it
has a 25' cord and runs on 110 and I can tip it back on two
wheels and roll it anywhere I want. This one got a lot
of use the year before last when I put a 10 x 24 porch roof
on that tied into the front gable of my house. Sure beats
driving 3 inch nails with a hammer. :D

Gene

Rick Fisher
12-10-2008, 1:39 AM
Hey Lewis.

I have been looking at compressors as well. I think you need to decide if your ever going to be using air tools. I am looking at the eagle compressors with 12.5cfm at 100 psi or the 18.5 cfm at 100 psi.

The 12.5cfm wont run an air drill, sander or similar for very long.

I have not pulled the trigger yet either but figure that I only want to buy one.