PDA

View Full Version : bench belt/disc sander for lowish $$??

Benjamin King
12-09-2008, 2:12 PM
Hello... this is a great forum for me, a relatively novice woodworker. I tried a search on my question, but didnt turn up too much definitive.

I am mostly a hobbyist and do some small time woodworking. I have a Delta Contractor saw and a Craftsman 14" Pro bandsaw, and am contemplating another bench tool, a sander.

$$ is an issue, esp lately, so would like to spend <$250, ideally <$200ish if possible, but I HATE buying absolute junk.

I can get a 6"belt/9"disc sander at Sears, with a cast iron table for $206 pre tax with the craftsman club http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921757000P?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00921757000

or there is a delta with a base (not so interested in the base though) http://www.amazon.com/31-695-6-Inch-9-Inch-Horsepower-Sander/dp/B00002236D but it is not reviewed super well for $245 free shipping

then there is the much cheaper Wilton http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-99175-4-Inch-Horsepower-Benchtop/dp/B00062NESM/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00002236D&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EE49GVRCR4PJ3X31G7V but it is pretty well reviewed, at $125

Anything from grizzly recommended (I looked and looked like either below or above these models)

Any comments about these models?? I'd like something not obviously out of square, with some power, but I dont need a super high end model.

thanks for any info!

Ben

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 2:18 PM
Here is what you should at least consider for $200

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/EB4424-Sander/ (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/EB4424-Sander/)

Lots of options including an oscillating edge sander. Many here who own it will agree it is a great tool.

Benjamin King
12-09-2008, 2:43 PM
(slow day at work, so instant reply!)

thanks Dewey for the reply. Can someone educate me why I need a spindle sander?

I do mostly model RC planes, building wings, sanding templates, etc, with some lightweight woodworking (at this point). I do need to be able to sand an angle accurately.

Would the belt on the Rigid model stand in for the disc readily? I see people saying they "love" their edge sanders... why?

Do folks like their Rigid products? I have a small palm sander from Rigid, it has some nice features. I guess I sort of assume if its sold at Home Depot, how good can it be. Probably an unfair prejudice, if one is considering Craftsman.

thanks!!

Ben

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 3:05 PM
Hi Ben,
Spindles are for curves. Once you get familiar with using one you will use it more than you think...at least it was that way for me.

The edge sander on the Rigid is not just an edge sander it also oscillates. which removes material fast and saves on sandpaper/ burning.

The Rigid model was Fine Woodworking Magazines editors choice if that is worth anything to you.

Also,
On the models you posted. The last one (cheap) one you definitely don't want. I had a friend who bought that and it is a POS. I can't comment too much on the others but other Creekers may. Most of that style sander for your price range are going to tend to be low end. The better ones have a stand... some with closed bases and larger disks then the ones you posted. Those are going to be double or more than your price range for sure unless you are able to find a used one (maybe on CL).

Grizzly is a good company but they also have lower and higher end products. I will provide input only what I own or know of who has.

Lance Norris
12-09-2008, 3:09 PM
Can someone educate me why I need a spindle sander?
thanks!!Ben
They are absolutely invaluable for sanding inside curves. Does the belt make up for the absence of a disc...? Well yes and no. The disc can be helpful at times, but I have a large Jet stationary sander and I use the belt almost exclusively. Im sure that I could get by without a disc if I had to, but I sure do need the belt. I spindle sand with my drill press, if you were wondering.

Benjamin King
12-09-2008, 3:12 PM
now I'm warming to the Rigid, probably appropriate to my hobbyist status. I like the fact that it is enclosed and can just be put on a shelf somewhere. Also, very well received by everyone.

It is "out of stock" online, so I'll have to venture to the store to get that blank untrained look in the tool corral! O how I love the big box stores!

I see the spindles can be hard to come by, with HD not carrying replacements. Anyone with updates on that?

thanks

Ben

Scott Loven
12-09-2008, 3:14 PM
An alternative would be to get a sanding plate (http://www.amazon.com/Table-Saw-Sanding-Disk-SANDING/dp/B001D6MF9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1228853533&sr=8-2) the size of your table saw blade and a couple of round sanding disks, one for each side of the disk. You can tilt your blade and or use a miter gage. I have one that I use on my table saw from time to time. Sears should have them

Ken Baker
12-09-2008, 3:17 PM
If you are looking to save a few bucks until you decide what you really need:

they make sanding disks that fit your tablesaw

Here is one from woodcraft
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=129272&FamilyID=1809

Sears also makes them.

If you have a belt sander they make stands for them, or there are plans to make your own.

If you do a lot of curve work then the spindle does seem to be the ticket. If you cut curves you need to sand them.

On straight edges - get a good table saw blade and that can save a lot of sanding.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-09-2008, 3:21 PM
I picked up an older used Craftsman 6*48 belt sander for $40.00 a while back.
It needed new bearings and a new cast aluminum idler roller. It runs OK but - - - - - I'd not buy it again.
Reason: Those Cam type adjusters were impossible to use. I threw them out and replaced 'em with 5/16-18 threaded bolts with locking nuts driving the roller angle up and down for adjustment.
Another problem: Looking at the bearing mounts on the idler roller they are (a) too small and (b) too close together. Clearly the casting would have been more expensive to make if they put the bearings further outboard like flush with the edge of the roller member but, they chose to inset 'em where they will always be at the mercy of belt tension.

So be real cautious about buying the Sears unit.

I'd want a close up inspection of that Delta too. These things are not cheap if you want to get a good one.

On the flip side making your own is really not hard. You'll need two lenths of shafting and four pillow blochs and a lathe to make wood Drum/Rollers, a motor and a length of 6.5" wide flat 1/8" to 2/8" thick steel for the sub plate.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 3:21 PM
now I'm warming to the Rigid, probably appropriate to my hobbyist status. I like the fact that it is enclosed and can just be put on a shelf somewhere. Also, very well received by everyone.

It is "out of stock" online, so I'll have to venture to the store to get that blank untrained look in the tool corral! O how I love the big box stores!

I see the spindles can be hard to come by, with HD not carrying replacements. Anyone with updates on that?

thanks

Ben

Ben,
My HD carries replacements and I bet your does too. Just go look and see. Also if you look at this thread you will find one of the Creekers buys the sanding sleeves from HF and all but one in the pack fit the Rigid:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93128&highlight=Rigid+sander

Leo Pashea
12-09-2008, 3:23 PM

thanks

Ben

Ben, the spindle sander sleeves can be purchased at Rockler, Woodcraft, or online at Klingspor. (Many other vendors have them also.) Don't let the sleeve availability be a factor. I know of 2 woodworkers that have the Ridgid machine, and they are serious tool buyers and hobbyists. They both agree it is a fine machine for it's intended purpose.

Benjamin King
12-09-2008, 3:50 PM
wow... you guys have been really helpful!

I'm thinking of getting the spindle sander now, if I can find it in stock. And with Mrs OK of course!

I wouldnt have thought of it if I hadnt posted here.

I assume I can get spindles in the really fine grits as well? I sometimes use 320/400/600 up to 2000 sandpapers, but I wouldnt expect anything over 1000 in a spindle!

thanks for all your help.

Ben

**BTW: I have a TS sanding disc, still used, as I do curves frequently (airfoils). Thanks for that reference

Pat Germain
12-09-2008, 3:54 PM
I bought the Ridgid sander just a few weeks ago. It's a great little machine. I wouldn't even consider the other sanders available at the big box stores. To get a better sander than the Ridgid, you'd have to build it yourself or spend more than twice the dough.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 6:07 PM
wow...
I assume I can get spindles in the really fine grits as well? I sometimes use 320/400/600 up to 2000 sandpapers, but I wouldnt expect anything over 1000 in a spindle!

I doubt to will ever need finer than 220 with this machine. I try to leave 80 grit on it as it is most useful for shaping. It is very aggressive you will see.

One more thing... do not use this without your shopvac hooked to it.

Justin Leiwig
12-09-2008, 6:30 PM
I belive if you check online they have a factory reconditioned model for $139 bucks. I don't think it gets the lifetime warranty, but you save 60 bucks and last I checked it was in stock.

Gene Howe
12-09-2008, 6:37 PM
As has been posted, the Rigid spindle sander is great for inside curves. But, the edge sander is also great for outside curves. I make quite a few patterns for the router and the Rigid is my first choice for that purpose.
The table tilts so you can sand angles with both the spindle and edger.
My Delta belt sander and 12" disk sander are used when much more agressiveness is required.

Bill White
12-09-2008, 6:46 PM
Here is what you should at least consider for $200

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/EB4424-Sander/ (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/EB4424-Sander/)

Lots of options including an oscillating edge sander. Many here who own it will agree it is a great tool.

Just turned my Ridgid off a few minutes ago. VERY well pleased with it. Does all I need. $199.00 when I bought it.
Bill

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 6:52 PM
I belive if you check online they have a factory reconditioned model for $139 bucks. I don't think it gets the lifetime warranty, but you save 60 bucks and last I checked it was in stock.

Justin,
Look at the shipping on that... not much savings as I recall between reconditioned + shipping and BORG walk-in for $199.

If I am wrong please post otherwise.

Benjamin King
12-09-2008, 7:09 PM
thanks Ben

I would get the machine today, but should wait for xmas and the mrs ok.:)

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 7:20 PM
thanks Ben

I would get the machine today, but should wait for xmas and the mrs ok.:)

Ben,
You are going to want to book mark this link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78002&highlight=list+acronyms

Make sure to Thank Mr. Myers!

Rich Enders
12-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I am about one year into my Ridgid and it is the best sanding device I have ever had.

Perhaps this should be another thread, but I want to build a fixture for it to uniformly sand thin strips for bentwood lamination. On a recent project white oak started to come apart in the planer (at small defects) when I tried to go below 3/32 inch thickness. The tight curves seemed to require something around 0.075 inch thickness.

I don't have a surface type sander, and hoped there might be a jig that would support the laminates while being pulled along the oscillating belt.

Has anyone built or seen anything that would work?

Larry Charlot
12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I have the craftsman and never again, switch just went out, and the disk runs at like 3400 rpm should be half of that.

Larry

Justin Leiwig
12-10-2008, 7:00 AM
Justin,
Look at the shipping on that... not much savings as I recall between reconditioned + shipping and BORG walk-in for $199.

If I am wrong please post otherwise.

Now it says they are out of stock for those too, so I couldn't check shipping. The reason I posted it was because he seemed to want to buy it online instead of in the store. Me personally I like to mess with it before I buy it. If I can't break it in the store in 10 minutes of playing with it then I'll usually buy it. :D

Don Bullock
12-10-2008, 8:35 AM
I agree fully with Dewey's recommendation. Both the belt sander and the spindle sander have come in very handy and it's easy to change between the two functions. I have not found the need for a disk sander.