PDA

View Full Version : Shellac in stormy weather

Herbert Wallace
12-09-2008, 1:57 PM
I have a cedar project that I would like to shellac today. However, it is rainy and nasty outside. I have never used shellac, but I seem to remember that it will blush in high humidity. Or is that the old laquer?

Michael Sobik
12-09-2008, 3:41 PM
It's raining here in Houston today. Against my better judgement I sprayed shellac on a project. Even though the directions say it can blush, I had good results. Just sprayed very light coats. I was using Bullseye Seal Coat.

Herbert Wallace
12-09-2008, 5:22 PM
Well, I brushed mine, and it turned white where it was thicker than it should be. I'll sand it off tomorrow and cut it about 50 %.

Larry Fox
12-09-2008, 6:42 PM
Before you sand it off, try and put one of those halogen work lights over it to see if you can remove the blush. I have heard that warming things up can help. I keep them going in my drying area when the humidity is high. If you are prepared to sand it off anyway you have nothing to loose. Not too close, you are not trying to cook it - just add some ambient heat.

Herbert Wallace
12-09-2008, 7:10 PM
Thanks Larry, I'll try that first.

Herbert Wallace
12-10-2008, 11:55 AM
All was lovely this morning, I didn't put the light on it , it just dried out clear in the shop.

glenn bradley
12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.