PDA

View Full Version : What bandsaw blade for wenge

Don Mikulec
12-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm searching for a blade to resaw 7" W wenge into 3/8"T pieces. I only need to saw about 4ft in length. From the way my handplane blade has dulled (!), I don't think a standard carbon steel bandsaw blade will last. I've read recommendations for bi-metal or carbide (Woodslicer and Trimaster, respectively). Does any one have experience in using these or others on wenge?

Thanks,

Don

John Thompson
12-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Carbon steel is not good for re-saw... period. It over-heats and dis-tempers in that function. I personally use bi-metal 3 tpi from Lennox to do all my re-saw and ripping on the BS. But.. it has to be sharp... very sharp on wenge and it won't stay that way long if you do any great amount but you stated the project was small.

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
12-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Mark Singer has extensive experience with wenge so you might PM a question or two.

A new blade ought to last long enough to saw what you need but you'll get greater life from a bimetal and even more life from a carbide but costs go up, of course, but then you're paying for longevity.

Typically, the bimetal will be a smaller kerf over the carbide if that is important to you. I'm ever on the search for the ultimate resaw blade but I'm finding that the blade is only half of the story. The other half is your bandsaw and the ability to set it up just perfectly and the final half is experience resawing. ;)

I'm surprised thus far at my Lenox Diemaster2 (1/2" wide, bimetal, 6tpi, hook style). I sliced up a chunk of walnut into 8 ~3/32" veneers about 10" wide and the blade is still good and sharp and ready for more.

Steve Jenkins
12-09-2008, 2:34 PM
I have a Lennox trimaster carbide blade on my bandsaw and have sawn a BUNCH of wenge. It is still working fine. It's 3tpi 1/2"

Don Mikulec
12-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm going to buy a CT blade.

Chris Padilla
12-10-2008, 10:50 AM
What is a CT blade? Woodmaster CT by Lenox? CT=carbide tipped?

Dave Novak
12-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I resawn Wenge and many other very hard woods with no problem using a resaw king blade from Laguna. I believe it has carbide tipped teeth. Their expensive, but can be sent in for resharpening.