PDA

View Full Version : New omnijig has arrived!!!!!

James Waters
12-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Well my new 24" omnijig arrived today. Kinda funny when an 18 wheeler pulls up to your house and when they open the back up there is a 72 pound box in there and thats it!!!...Glad I did not have to pay for that shipping!!!

I got the unit unpacked and assembled. Not much to it at all. Everything comes very well packaged. I was amazed at how heave the unit was. While I am not familiar with the Leigh jigs, I can say that some of the features in the redesign of this unit appear to be very user friendly.

I got it out in the shop and got some scrap out and went to work. I cut a variable spaced through dovetail first and I have to say it was VERY close to being dead on accurate straight out of the box. I forgot to change guides on the first one I did so it was slightly tight and would not go together (completely my fault). The second one was almost perfect. I only had to adjust the depth of the router and depth gauge on the pin board. Worked very well.

I got this when there was still the 30% cash back and had an additional 10% off coupon. Shipping was also free. $343 to my door. I am happy.

I am looking forward to getting to cut some half blinds in the next few days but initially I am very pleased. This is certainly a far cry from the 12" rockler jig I was using!!!!!

David Moody
12-08-2008, 11:16 PM
James,
You should enjoy it. I have been having a blast with mine.

Scott Rollins
12-09-2008, 6:13 AM
That is a great deal$$$ I have been wanting one of these, but the price has been keeping me away for now.

Don Bullock
12-09-2008, 9:50 AM
Congratulations on your gloat James. That was a great deal. I'd love to know how well the
new 24" Omnijig works for you. Right now it's on my "want" list.

Dave Mura
12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow that's a great deal!

James Waters
12-09-2008, 1:30 PM
I played around a little more today with the jig and so far everything seems to be pretty close to being dead on accurate. I still have not tried any half blinds yet. I have a project that I am getting ready to start on that I will likely use them on so I will try to post on how that goes.

I was really hoping I bought a good jig. I have heard great things about the leighs and there are a ton of reviews and opinions out there on them. I could not find too much on the omnijig other than a few here and there. So far so good on the omnijig!

I am hoping that maybe some of these posts will help others who were in the same spot I was in trying to decide.

Steven Bolton
12-09-2008, 2:10 PM
It would be nice to see some sample joints and other feedback from Omnijig owners. I have been interested but it seems like a "state secret" on how they work.

Steve Bolton

Michael Roland
12-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice to hear that the intial impressions fo the Omnijig are good. When the Microsoft Live cashback hit 30% I placed and order for one as well and am anxiously waiting it's arrival.

I already have a Leigh Super Jig 18" unit so it will be interesting to compare the two. I have a feeling that the Leigh Jig wil be listed in the classified section fairly soon.

James Waters
12-12-2008, 8:21 PM
Just as an update:

I started working on an end table for my sister for Christmas with a single small drawer last night.

I made the drawer today and decided to try a half blind rabbited drawer. I have never done of of those before so decided what the heck.

I was using 3/4" oak for the front and 3/4" popular for the sides. I made the pin cuts first.

Then the tail cuts. The size was dead on. I had to go back and make a slight adjustment to the stops to make the pins slightly deeper so that the tails would fit flush. Other than that PERFECT out of the box. Simply followed the recipe card and the directions for setting up for the spacing on the tail bosrd to shift it over. As stated earlier I am very happy with the results. I spent so much more time trying to fine tune one of the cheaper jigs that I had been using. What a joy to use....just not to move around....that thing is heavy!!!!!!!!!!