PDA

View Full Version : Flashing?Trim around dust pipe wall exit

skott nielsen
12-08-2008, 10:28 PM
What have some of you used to trim where your dust pipe passed thru a wall in your shops. I am expecting my Oneida V-system in the next week or two and will be running 6 inch metal pipe out of a utility room into the shop and would like something to trim off the hole I am going to have to cut in the walll to pass the pipe through. I am building a wood turning shop and don't have a lot of woodworking skills so it needs to be simple but i want it to look nicely finished off. The shop studio is going to be nice with aspen T&G ceiling and Black ash flooring.

I have already received great help with flooring, air line and other questions on this forum and appreciate it greatly. I will post photo when done.

Skott

Chip Lindley
12-09-2008, 1:18 AM
Look for a 6" collar for wood stove flues. They are a bit decorative and metal.

Jim Becker
12-09-2008, 8:13 AM
The pass-through from my DC/Compressor closet to the shop is filled with low-expansion insulating foam from a spray can to seal between the 7" duct and the round hole in the wall. No noise transfer and flexible. Paintable, too.

David Giles
12-09-2008, 9:55 AM
This one takes a little more work, but you might like it for your wood paneled walls. Make a hole in the wall EXACTLY the diameter of your pipe and delete the flashing altogether. Make a template of the hole. Carpet tape the template to the wall. Rough cut the hole with a jigsaw and finish the cut with a pattern bit and router. Using the router horizontally is a little disconcerting at first.

Or use the template to make your own decorative collar. Say 2" wide with an ogee profile on the outside that tapers the edge to 1/8" thick.