PDA

View Full Version : Delta Bandsaw Blade Guide Issue

Jim Eller
12-08-2008, 7:00 PM
I have a 14" Delta bandsaw and the other day I decided to do some resawing. I changed the blade put the Carter bearing guides to the top (cutting 6" material), adjusted them and everything went fine.

Well, today I needed to cut a dowel rod so I thought I would just lower the blade guard and bearings and do it. When I turned the saw on the motor went but the blade didn't.

It was hung up on the table insert. What had happened was, when I lowered the bearing guides, it pushed the blade forward instead of coming down parallel to the blade. I looked for some way to adjust this but none is obvious to me. That doesn't mean there isn't one!:o

I've never noticed this with smaller blades before because there must have always been room. This blade is 3/4" which was not a problem doing the resawing. None the less, it should not push the blade forward.

Any idea what the problem is and how to adjust it?

Thanks,
Jim

Cary Falk
12-08-2008, 7:08 PM
I have heard that that is a problem with some 14" Bandsaws. The hole where the post rides is not milled perpendicular to the table. I hear it a lot on people with a riser block. I don't think there is a fix. Is there a way to back up the rear thrust bearing? I would use a 1/2" blade. The general concensus is that the 14" saws are not made to properly tension a 3/4 blade.

Jim Eller
12-08-2008, 8:57 PM
Cary,

Thanks and yes there is plenty of room to move the bearing back but I was thinking I shouldn't have to every time I move the bearing guides up and down the blade.

I will try the 1/2" blade. I did the 3/4" thing because the owner's manual said it could be used.

Thanks again.

Jim

Cary Falk
12-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Cary,

Thanks and yes there is plenty of room to move the bearing back but I was thinking I shouldn't have to every time I move the bearing guides up and down the blade.

I will try the 1/2" blade. I did the 3/4" thing because the owner's manual said it could be used.

Thanks again.

Jim

Yeah, you shouldn't have to but sounds like you do. I had to a little bit with my Delta with a riser block. One of it's minor annoyances. I sold it a few months ago to move up to a G0513x2. My manual said it would tension a 3/4 blade, but to get a good resaw on a 1/2 blade i had the spring fully compressed.

glenn bradley
12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
My manyal said it would tension a 3/4 blade, but to get a good resaw on a 1/2 blade i had the spring fully compressed.

On the Delta or the Grizzly?

Cary Falk
12-08-2008, 11:54 PM
On the Delta or the Grizzly?

The Delta.