PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw opinions needed

Justin Leiwig
12-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Ok..so apparently I go through tablesaws like underwear.

I purchased my first tablesaw (a crapsman) for $50 bucks plus it came with 10 blades.

I sold that a month ago for $125 on craiglist.

I picked up an old delta tablesaw that had actual metal and cast iron unlike the crapsman for $160 including a Delta mobile base kit.

I tore it apart, cleaned everything, sanded the rust off the top and did the t-9/wax bit.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading again :confused: I think I could sell my current rehab project for another profit, and only have to contribute a couple of cnotes out of my pocket for the new saw.

I was debating between the Delta contractors saw that Lowes offers with dual cast iron extension wings or the Ridgid 3660 at Home Depot. I have no experience with the Delta at Lowes, but my buddy has the 3660 and it's a very nice saw. The Delta is $100 cheaper, but that seems to be the only difference. The delta model at lowes is 36-979.

Any opinions on either saw? And has anyone seen the granite topped Ridgid that Hd has online?

Cary Falk
12-08-2008, 1:19 PM
IF I were you I would be tempted to go with this for $599. HD does not stock them but I hear you can have it delivered to the store for $0. Hybrid, Granite top, Riving knife, cabinet mounted trunions. Find a 10% coupon. What more could you want.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/4d/4d0b446b-1442-4f6a-88a7-e0584ce880b8_300.jpg

Charles P. Wright
12-08-2008, 1:46 PM
IF I were you I would be tempted to go with this for $599. HD does not stock them but I hear you can have it delivered to the store for $0. Hybrid, Granite top, Riving knife, cabinet mounted trunions. Find a 10% coupon. What more could you want.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/4d/4d0b446b-1442-4f6a-88a7-e0584ce880b8_300.jpg

I have a 3650, and if I were buying a new saw today, I would get the new RIDGID.

scott spencer
12-08-2008, 1:47 PM
Justin - I like the Delta 36-979 and the T2 fence setup for the money, but I suspect the Delta you mentioned is the price of just the saw without the fence ($450?). The entry level Delta T2 is an excellent fence for the money, but it typically adds $150....maybe ~ $120 on sale.

Now I've gotta ask what you'll be gaining by selling one contractor saw for another? It's likely a fairly lateral move. If your current Delta is a full size 10" traditional contractor saw, you won't be gaining much by swapping other than possibly a better fence (and that "new car smell" ;). You can add a new fence to your existing saw.

Todd Crawford
12-08-2008, 1:54 PM
My thoughts EXACTLY Scott.... Doesn't really sound like an upgrade, just a new saw. I am currently holding out for the new Rigid to arrive in the store so I can get a good look at it. If it is all that I am hearing it is, it will be my first piece of "Orange". If you really just want one of those saws, I would go with the Rigid 3660. That saw has recieved a lot of praise in the past and I've never heard anyone saw they not happy with it. Also, as Scott pointed out, the price on the Delta at Lowes does not include a fence....

Justin Leiwig
12-08-2008, 2:06 PM
My thoughts EXACTLY Scott.... Doesn't really sound like an upgrade, just a new saw. I am currently holding out for the new Rigid to arrive in the store so I can get a good look at it. If it is all that I am hearing it is, it will be my first piece of "Orange". If you really just want one of those saws, I would go with the Rigid 3660. That saw has recieved a lot of praise in the past and I've never heard anyone saw they not happy with it. Also, as Scott pointed out, the price on the Delta at Lowes does not include a fence....

Not really a lateral as my current contractors saw is direct drive which limits what it can do and it is not very powerful.

I did not know that the delta didn't come with the fence. I guess that explains the $100 difference in price between the two saws.

I checked the specs on the new Ridgid saw and either it's a missprint or something is up, but it says it's 6.5 amps, and maybe it's me, but the fence doesn't look too substantial for the tablesaw..

Todd Crawford
12-08-2008, 2:33 PM
From what I've read, and once again, I've never used the Rigid, but it has received rave reviews and one of the aspects that I see that gets the most praise is the quality of the fence. I thought the same thing when I began thinking about a new saw several years ago, but every review that I have read says just the opposite.

Bill Huber
12-08-2008, 2:44 PM
I was in some what the same place you are looking for a replacement for my Craftsman, I had an 8 inch.

My problem was space and weight, I have my shop in a Tuff Shed and did not want the weight of a cabinet and really needed the space.

So for the space and weight I got the Jet JWTS-10, no shipping from Amazon.

The saw is a little under powered but a thin kerf blade takes care of that, its the space it takes up that is really nice. The depth is no deeper then my old Craftsman 8 in. was.
The JWTS has the motor inside the cabinet and is only 27 inches deep.

Neal Clayton
12-08-2008, 4:29 PM

I purchased my first tablesaw (a crapsman) for $50 bucks plus it came with 10 blades.

I picked up an old delta tablesaw that had actual metal and cast iron unlike the crapsman for $160 including a Delta mobile base kit.

I tore it apart, cleaned everything, sanded the rust off the top and did the t-9/wax bit.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading again :confused: I think I could sell my current rehab project for another profit, and only have to contribute a couple of cnotes out of my pocket for the new saw.

I was debating between the Delta contractors saw that Lowes offers with dual cast iron extension wings or the Ridgid 3660 at Home Depot. I have no experience with the Delta at Lowes, but my buddy has the 3660 and it's a very nice saw. The Delta is $100 cheaper, but that seems to be the only difference. The delta model at lowes is 36-979.

Any opinions on either saw? And has anyone seen the granite topped Ridgid that Hd has online?

if you're making a hundred or two profit on your current one, you're only a hundred or four away from a nice used powermatic or unisaw.

edit: http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/948438801.html

James Waters
12-08-2008, 4:31 PM
Just a "local" opinion here.....

I had the delta saw you are considering for two years until I was fortunate to come across a STEAL on a used unisaw at a local auction.

I built several pieces of furniture with the contrator saw without too many problems. As someone mentioned earlier a thin kerf blade makes a big difference on performance.

I thought that the T-2 fence was a great system especially for the money. I never had to make any adjustments to mine when I had it. Also it was an easy fence system to make homemade attachmens for.

The only drawback that I found was the motor hanging off the back make storage a bit more challenging if you were limited for space.

I sold mine to a coworker and it is still going strong. The saw was very accurate and performed well for me. I do not think you will be dissapointed with either saw that you choose.

Cary Falk
12-08-2008, 5:35 PM
Just a "local" opinion here.....

I had the delta saw you are considering for two years until I was fortunate to come across a STEAL on a used unisaw at a local auction.

I built several pieces of furniture with the contrator saw without too many problems. As someone mentioned earlier a thin kerf blade makes a big difference on performance.

I thought that the T-2 fence was a great system especially for the money. I never had to make any adjustments to mine when I had it. Also it was an easy fence system to make homemade attachmens for.

The only drawback that I found was the motor hanging off the back make storage a bit more challenging if you were limited for space.

I sold mine to a coworker and it is still going strong. The saw was very accurate and performed well for me. I do not think you will be dissapointed with either saw that you choose.

This is my story almost exactly except selling to a coworker. I agree with James's opinion of the Delta saw.

Justin Leiwig
12-08-2008, 7:23 PM
if you're making a hundred or two profit on your current one, you're only a hundred or four away from a nice used powermatic or unisaw.

edit: http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/948438801.html

Saw that too...too bad I don't have three phase power or I'd consider it. If I had to add the phase converter then I'd be up in the range of a cabinet saw.

Jason White
12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Get the RIDGID while you still can!

Home Depot is probably going to be discontinuing them in the coming year. I have the TS3650 and just can't make the case (especially to my wife) for "upgrading" to a full cabinet saw. It's just too damned good a machine.

Also, don't forget that the Delta at Lowe's doesn't come with a fence. You have to order one separately (Biesemeyer, Unifence, etc.) for an additional cost.

Jason

Jason White
12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
It's true. The fence on the RIDGID is terrific!

I bought a Biesemeyer when they were being blown out for $80 at Lowe's a few months ago, thinking I'd put it on my RIDGID. But, the fence on the RIDGID is so good that the Biesemeyer is just collecting dust in the basement (until I eventually do upgrade to a cabinet saw).

Jason

From what I've read, and once again, I've never used the Rigid, but it has received rave reviews and one of the aspects that I see that gets the most praise is the quality of the fence. I thought the same thing when I began thinking about a new saw several years ago, but every review that I have read says just the opposite.

Chip Lindley
12-09-2008, 1:11 PM
You did well so far, trading UP on used saws you bought. Try it yet once again! Hold out for At Least a used Rockwell or Delta Contractors saw. They are light years ahead of anything New in the *contractors saw* class. The fit and finish of brand new saws has much to be desired. My ol' Rockwell served me well after a thorough cleaning up and adjusting. Although I have a PM66 now, I kinda miss it!

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-09-2008, 3:25 PM
Have you looked at the sliders?

Hammer, or MM are not too pricey.
Felder is more but it's a lot more saw.
Then there's the really high priced saws like Martin at not a penny less than 25-Grand a pop and lots more for added stuff.

Bill White
12-09-2008, 7:12 PM
Griz G0444Z from a fellow Creeker. First TS I've owned, and I sure am happy with it. I will say that he set it up RIGHT. That sure makes a difference.
Bill

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 7:33 PM
Have you looked at the sliders?

Hammer, or MM are not too pricey.
Felder is more but it's a lot more saw.

Hammer or MM not too pricey...?

This guy is in this guy is upgrading ever so slightly into the $500 range and you are offering Minimax and Hammer?

Come on.... I challenge you to post your idea of a nice $500 Hammer or MM!

Jim Butterfield
12-09-2008, 9:19 PM
Get the RIDGID while you still can!

Home Depot is probably going to be discontinuing them in the coming year. I have the TS3650 and just can't make the case (especially to my wife) for "upgrading" to a full cabinet saw. It's just too damned good a machine.

Discontinuing? The whole line? Or just that model?