PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Scraper Holder: Top drawer or junk drawer?

Danny Thompson
12-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Does anyone own a Veritas Scraper Holder?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,310&p=32669

Do you never scrape without it, or is it lost in the junk drawer?

Dave Anderson NH
12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I've had one for about 6-8 years and it works just fine. I use it primarily when I'm going to do a lot of scraping at one shot. It is great for saving the fingers from both getting burned or uncomfortable due to the heat generated and it means I can hold the scraper less tightly which means my hands don't get tired or cramped.

Don Dorn
12-08-2008, 1:10 PM
I bought it for the same reason, but as it turned out, it sits in the drawer without being used. For the amount of scraping necessary to get the job done, most of the time I can have it done by the time I get the scraper in the holder. I also feel that I "find the burr" much easier without it.

Doug Shepard
12-08-2008, 1:13 PM
I think it's worth it. Much less hand fatigue using it than not.

Greg Cole
12-08-2008, 1:22 PM
I'll vote for worth having too.
I do find for delicate scraping, my 2 hands are much better. But if you're going to be scraping for a longer time your thumbs will thank you for the holder.

Dewey Torres
12-08-2008, 1:29 PM
Like Dave, I bought mine because I got tired of burning my fingers. I use mine when I have a large job or my fingers get fatigued. It works great and is fully adjustable. In the end it will be a personal preference on your part. I have met folks such as David Marks who said they don't care for them and others who swear by them.

Recommendation: I would buy it and try it. Should it continue to sit in a drawer I would sell it. LV tools hold value well.

Mark Singer
12-08-2008, 3:24 PM
There is a much more "connected" feeling by hand only. I do have one and use it on large pieces when necessary

Jack Camillo
12-08-2008, 5:52 PM
If you get it and it turns out you don't use it, just send it to me. :)

Johnny Kleso
12-08-2008, 7:34 PM
Its either one of those or leather gloves when doing a lot of scraping as the scraper blade will get so hot you have to put it down to cool off or change to an extra blade..

John Keeton
12-08-2008, 8:42 PM
I have had one for several years - but I think mine is metal. Notice that it is currently shown as nylon. Not sure why, but I seem to have ended up with a bit of carpal tunnel over the years, and simply can't use just a scraper blade without a holder.

Recently acquired a LV scraper plane and I am looking forward to trying it on the next project, although in close quarters, it just would not be useful.

Doug Shepard
12-08-2008, 8:49 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that it does lock you into a certain sized scraper in order to use it. I have a number of other card scrapers that just wont fit it. Just food for thought.

Stan Suther
12-08-2008, 10:43 PM
As far as heat buildup goes, I saw a tip in one of the mags (can't remember which one) about using a piece of flexible sheet magnet between your thumbs and the scraper to insulate from the heat. Have not tried it, but seems like it should work.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 1:00 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is that it does lock you into a certain sized scraper in order to use it. I have a number of other card scrapers that just wont fit it. Just food for thought.

Doug,
I love you man but let me be the devils advoccate here:
Please post the make and model of your scrapers that do not fit.

Doug Shepard
12-09-2008, 5:35 AM
Dewey
I've got a couple that I cut myself out of old saw blades so I can't really count those. I dont recall the makes on a couple others I've got but it doesn't take too much looking to find ones that aren't 6" long that the LV holder wants

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=02Z09&FamilyID=259
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=1081

I'm not sure why I've got more than one store-bought one (other than what came with the LV holder). I think I had one or two go to dryer sock heaven temporarily then show up later after I picked another up, but I definitely have a couple that are too short for the LV holder.

Steve Thomas
12-09-2008, 8:20 AM
Top draw. it'll save you some sweat, and your thumbs if you use thick scrappers.

John Sanford
12-09-2008, 6:20 PM
Got one, use it a fair bit. I do wish that it was a bit taller at the sides though, as the way I hold it sometimes the top knurled knobs start irritating me. Definitely worth the $$.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 6:39 PM
Dewey
I've got a couple that I cut myself out of old saw blades so I can't really count those. I dont recall the makes on a couple others I've got but it doesn't take too much looking to find ones that aren't 6" long that the LV holder wants

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=02Z09&FamilyID=259
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=1081

I'm not sure why I've got more than one store-bought one (other than what came with the LV holder). I think I had one or two go to dryer sock heaven temporarily then show up later after I picked another up, but I definitely have a couple that are too short for the LV holder.

Ok well your wonderful hand crafted beauties I will buy but I have multiple sizes of scrapers and they all fit because the tool is made for it.
It is that ingenious little bump and clamp mechanism inside each end. Please tell me you already knew that.

Doug Shepard
12-10-2008, 8:48 PM
It is that ingenious little bump and clamp mechanism inside each end. Please tell me you already knew that.

Dewey
Thanks so much for pointing that out. I double checked the instructions and you're absolutely right. Here's one of the store-bought ones and as such, I'm sure it's fully compliant with Sub-paragraph 6 of the FTC mandated ANSI Dewey Decimal Scraper Standardization regs. But I've tightened down the screws on those ingenious little bump and clamp mechanisms inside each end and it keeps falling out.

But I've finally narrowed the problem down to one of two things and that Rob Lee is going to get a piece of my mind. Either they screwed up (again) and sent me the Metric Scraper Holder or mine is just plain defective and not so ingenious. Either way the replacement might be here in time for the holidays if you want to swing 15-20 minutes West and check it out
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98687
though the GaShop will likely be in total disarray trying another round of shop space down-sizing. But there's nothing but a propane space heater to take the edge off, so it will be cold enough to make you feel like you're in the Rockies.

Oops - Hold the phone....
I finally got it to work.
Nevermind

Roger Bell
12-10-2008, 9:56 PM
I don't have the LV but I do have a wooden one of a similar design from Harris Tool of Costa Rica. I use it when I have a lot of scraping to do rather than just a little. It is obvious to me that the LV is a good tool.

These devices really save the hands, particularly those of us who are sensitive. Not a must-have, but certainly a nice-to-have.

Danny Thompson
12-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks all! The holder is now prominently featured on my LV Wish List.

Bill White
12-12-2008, 2:52 PM
use it. Keep a freshly sharpened card in it at all times.
Bill

Dewey Torres
12-12-2008, 3:07 PM
Oops - Hold the phone....
I finally got it to work.
Nevermind

Fell out of my chair laughing.:D

David Keller NC
12-12-2008, 6:35 PM
I don't have the Veritas holder, so I can't comment on its usefullness, but I've a tip for those that don't want to wear gloves when using a scraper for "feel", and don't want burned fingers: use blue painter's tape to tape up your thumbs. I do this all the time when I've a got a big board that just refuses to plane without tearout - the blue tape stretches a bit, has a reasonably good grip, and will insulate your thumbs pretty well unless you get the scraper very hot. And it's a lot cheaper than mole skin.