PDA

View Full Version : New Dining Room Cabinet

Dave Richards
06-10-2004, 8:35 AM
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Misc/buffet.jpg
I think the windows in the lower doors have to go and I haven't figured out the mid level cabinets on the ends. Opinions?

This was based on a buffet sketch I found in a copy of California Bungalows of the Twenties by Henry L. Wilson.

Todd Burch
06-10-2004, 11:19 PM
SKETCHUP!! I smell SKETCHUP!

Yeah, lose the lower glass. Unless you wanted to both 1) duplicate the upper glass/mullions and 2) always look at whatever you keep in the lower cabinets. (Is it "worthy" of seeing all the time?)

What might be neat on the bottom would be to match the glass/mullions that are on top, but use frosted glass and put a light inside the cabinets.

For the mid level cabinets, you could do a barrister bookcase type door - a glass panel with wood frame whose hinges are on top. Glass/mullions could mimmic the upper glass panels.

For the lower section, consider putting the widest drawer(s) on the top.

Todd

Todd Burch
06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
By the way, when exporting in Sketchup, set your options to export about 3000 pixels wide by however tall, and be sure to check the "anti-alias" box. Then, resize in your favorite photo editor. That will get rid of the jagged lines. I wish they offered a export to gif option...

Nathan Hoffman
06-11-2004, 7:37 AM
You could make the lower doors match the uppers in terms of the size and shape of the windows, but use solid wood panels instead. An alternative to the barrister style doors in the middle would be tambour doors if it would fit the style. Looks like a nice piece!

Dave Richards
06-11-2004, 8:52 AM
Thanks guys.

Todd, you have a good smeller. ;) I'm trying to talk my 6 week old son into buying Sketchup for me for father's day. :D His mother said it would wipe out his savings. I told her maybe he could get a very long term, low interest loan from his mother. :rolleyes:

I like the barrister-type door idea. I was thinking about a tambour but didn't think it fit the style of the piece. I'm also considering a drawer at the bottom of each of the mid level cabinets. Well, actuall a drawer on one side and a fake drawer on the other which would hide an electrical outlet and switches for the lights in and on the cabinet.

On the lower doors, I like the idea of using wood instead of glass. I was thinking I could do a square panel divided into four.

I'll think on those drawers, too. I know froma practical standpoint having them on top is probably better but I like the look of them on the bottom.

Thanks again for the input.

Dave

Jim Becker
06-11-2004, 9:32 AM
I like Todd's idea for using the frosted glass in the lower doors as it keeps the look without grossly revealing what is inside. Along the same lines, using colored glass both there and in the uppers for the very small window panels might bring a unified look...a dark colored glass in the shade you prefer would really add an accent, especially with the interior lighting.

SketchUp is great! I did make the investment and while high, it will likely pay dividends over time. I just wish I had more time to learn it more intimately.

Dan Mages
06-11-2004, 10:24 AM
That looks like a nice evolution! Another option for the lower glass would be an opaque glass, poossibly a tannish yellow to match the arts and crafts look.

Dan