PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2008, 8:21 AM
8 Dec 2008

Good Morning and Happy Holiday Season to all of you.

Been working on the kitchen table when I'm not at the day job. I will say that I'm glad to have a day job as many that I know no longer have a day job or any job for that matter. The table is moving along nicely and I'm finding out that as I get older I'm more and more sensitive to Black Walnut wood dust. So now I'm having to rethink my process and air filtration in my shop.

The LOML and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary this past weekend and we had a nice dinner out and I took to see "The Boys of the Lough" last night at the University of Central Arkansas. The presented music and singing of "A Celtic Christmas". Very nice music and wonderful Celtic music of the Irish tradition. A lot of it can really make you want to get up and move your feet.!!!

It's off to the dentist here in a few minutes and then it's back here and work on the kitchen table more today. I'm really hoping to have all assembly work done today.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Thomas Knighton
12-08-2008, 8:24 AM
Well, Saturday I finished up on my stocking/coat hanger (in the Projects forum if anyone's interested).

Yesterday, while trying to move something for the Christmas tree, I managed to booger up my back and have been in pain ever since.

Joy. Oh. Joy.:(

Kevin Arceneaux
12-08-2008, 8:34 AM
I ACTUALLY got to make something - it has been a loong time since I had the chance. This past summer LOML got the "Home Handyman" DIY 50 projects issue and found many little things for storage. I build a workbench from a earlier issue.

Saturday I finished re-organizing the Shop/Shed so I could actually have room. My garbage man may have been a tad upset - 3 FULL cans of junk. But now I have room to move around.

I made a spice rack for inside of one of the cabinets for the wife. She did not even let me paint it. Boom in the cabinet it went. Worked out great.

In the same issue, they had plans for roll out storage for under cabinets. I made a roll out tray for under the sink, all I have to do is mount it.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-08-2008, 8:53 AM
finished up some electrical work on a subpanel and cleaned up from assorted "Honey-do" projects around the house. Also managed to get up 80% of the Holiday decorations outside....with the cold weather rolling in last night, the other 20% might just have to wait till next year :)

Jim Becker
12-08-2008, 8:55 AM
Kevin, I know the feeling!!! LOL I finished up the tack trunk (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97948) this weekend after all the normal equestrian activities plus the barn holiday party on Saturday night. (great party with more food than could possibly be eaten and an outstanding "drill team" performance by about 8 of the accomplished young riders) So after a long "dry spell" from a project standpoint, I'm ready to get moving on whatever I decide is next on my list.

We also got our Christmas tree up last night. It was somewhat bittersweet for me as my mom sent up a box of ornaments that have been on family trees since I was first born. In fact, there are three little choir girls that were pretty much the only three ornaments on the tree in 1957 when I was not yet one year old. (They chose to buy a tri-cycle rather than spend money on decorations) Each year since the girls came home, our tree has gotten bigger...we're up to 9' now thanks to a "very attractive close-out price" at Tar-Zeh post holiday last year. :) But it still has the gold-paper and toilet-paper-tube star that the girls made for their first holiday as US citizens in 2005, meaning there are decorations dating from 1957 to present.

Dennis, congratulations on your anniversary! Definitely an occasion for your "formal" bibs!! LOL :D

Michael Schumacher
12-08-2008, 9:10 AM
After being away from this site for a while...my weekend had nothing to do with WWing...

Saturday was a day of making 8 Make-Ahead-Meals with 2 other couples - several soups were made, so that will be good with the cold weather.

Sunday spent going to church and then the afternoon was Christmas shopping - most of it was done, but not all.

This week I'm guessing will be getting the Christmas tree put up and try to get window trim put up - new windows went in this fall.

Michael

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2008, 9:14 AM
Tough week at work last week. It's starting out just as tough this week.

As our granddaughter and her family are moving to Phoenix in the next week or so and Sharon and I will be out of the country for Christmas this year, we had our local family Christmas get together on Saturday. Sharon took Friday off and spent the day cooking. Saturday, I got a hair cut and that was about all I did that was useful.

Sunday Sharon and I took the day off and just loafed. I did get a new Sata drive hooked up to my home computer. I expect later this week I'll start transferring Sharons thousands of photographs moved to the Sata drive.

Charles P. Wright
12-08-2008, 9:20 AM
I managed to get one room in my house completely wired for network and closed up most of the holes in my garage and laundry room ceilings. I'm a bit sore from lifting and holding 1/2 a piece of sheetrock for the garage ceiling (not related to the wiring, but instead a repair for a leaky air conditioner). I won't be able to mud until the spring, but at least there is less insulation showing.

I then proceeded to make some more holes in the ceiling to start running some wire for my future basement shop sub panel.

All in all a very productive weekend.

Joe Mioux
12-08-2008, 9:36 AM
quail hunting Friday afternoon.... that really felt good..... since the tues before Thanksgiving i have gone out three afternoons. That is first time off I have taken (working 6-7 days per week) in over two years.

Sat, worked at work

Sunday cleaned my workbench and returned tools and accessories to the proper place.

joe

Steve Rozmiarek
12-08-2008, 9:51 AM
Joe, you need to take a bit more time off. It'll catch up with you...

Wierd weekend here. Saturday I worked, Sunday I had all day in the shop, and all I could get done is a little cleaning, and build a pallet that fits both the Dingo and the pallet jack, to make moving lumber from the shed to the shop a bit easier. Decided two things last night, one, I must be getting lazy to decide the I needed a new way to get lumber to the shop, and two, the creative muse was MIA this weekend.

Dave Avery
12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
There's a light at the end of the tunnel...... I put the first coat of finish on eight of the 10 dining room chairs that I've made.

Even with the Festool stack (particularly the Domino) making things very fast and repeatable - zero errors and perfect assembly - making 10 of anything becomes drudgery. I keep telling myself that similar chairs cost $1,600 each from Thos Moser. I have almost 60 hours in them now, probably another 25 to go. With $1,000 in materials, I'm paying myself almost two hundred dollars an hour. But it's still drudgery.... --Best. Dave.

Matt Ellis
12-08-2008, 1:05 PM
i worked on taking 350 board feet of southern red oak from a standing tree to 4/4 lumber. started at about 7:30 saturday morning, and got home with the lumber at about 6:00 saturday evening. i was feeling it sunday morning! the sawmill guy charged me $75 to cut up the two logs, so i got about $700 worth of wood for $75 + a day's labor.

i have to paint the ends tonight, stack and sticker it.

-matt

Bobby McCarley
12-08-2008, 1:58 PM
Had a pretty good weekend, as any weekend not working is considered good. Friday was spent at a Bed & Breakfast at one of the local plantations. Went shopping at the antique stores where they were having their "white light" night with wine samples and finger foods. Wife found a curio cabinet she liked. Saturday I got the Christmas stuff out of the attic and spent some time in the shop working on a new handle for my B-I-L's Sgian Dubh. The knife that is worn in the sock of a Scottish Kilt. The old handle broke. I will post a picture of it when finished. Sunday, we rounded up all of the kids and grandkids and went Christmas tree hunting.
So, all in all it was a very nice weekend. We thought we were going to have the birth of out new granddaughter but she decided she wasn't quite ready yet. The daughter is past ready though, to the point of a bit snappish.
Some things you just can't rush.

Bobby
Louisiana