PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Crafts Round table - New Video, New site too!

John Nixon
12-08-2008, 6:13 AM
It's been a while since I had something to post, but I've finally caught up on some things and I've got some news to share.

New Video -
I just finished the first video in an exciting series that details how to build an Arts and Crafts round table (Stickley #603). Take a look:

eaglelakewoodworking

http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/projects/Stickley603/thumbs/th_P1060117.JPG

David Cramer
12-08-2008, 7:15 AM
Pretty cool site John. You do a very good job in front of the camera, both in speaking and presentation of the materials and steps involved. Well done! You're giving guys like the Woodwhisperer some real competition. Keep'em coming and thanks for sharing your craft.

David

Mitchell Andrus
12-08-2008, 8:09 AM
Great site, great graphics - I'm green with envy. When Norm retires, maybe you could......

One comment on the site... Get rid of the "Welcome To" in the page name. When bookmarked, it shows up in the list of sites. I find this makes it hard to spot the site I'm trying to find.

Tell me though... Is this shot made in Sketchup? How did you do it:

John Nixon
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for checking out the video and my site. I appreciate your feedback on the title of the homepage. Your advice is good, and is something I hadn't considered - thanks.

The pool table graphic is mostly Sketchup. I have the entire pool table drawn in Sketchup and I positioned the model to match a photo of the legs I had. I put the model in the view mode with sketchy lines and exported the picture. I then blended the actual photograph and the Sketchup export together in Photoshop. I can give you more info if you'd like.

John Nixon
12-08-2008, 1:58 PM
David, - thanks for the positive feedback and encouragement. I really enjoy making the woodworking videos. I wish (as most of us probably do) that I had more time to do it. This darn day job is getting in the way!

Norman Pyles
12-08-2008, 5:00 PM
Great video John, be sure and let us know when part 2 is done.

Mitchell Andrus
12-08-2008, 7:34 PM
Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for checking out the video and my site. I appreciate your feedback on the title of the homepage. Your advice is good, and is something I hadn't considered - thanks.

The pool table graphic is mostly Sketchup. I have the entire pool table drawn in Sketchup and I positioned the model to match a photo of the legs I had. I put the model in the view mode with sketchy lines and exported the picture. I then blended the actual photograph and the Sketchup export together in Photoshop. I can give you more info if you'd like.

Thanks. I can handle that... I was just wondering if it was a Sketchup feature, add-on or whatever. I'm into one-click magic when I can find it.

David Cramer
12-09-2008, 7:31 AM
You're welcome John and as I said, keep'em coming. You've got a lot of potential and a fine delivery. I am sure when a replacement is needed or a new show is in developement, the researchers now use the computer to search for potential candidates just as much if not more than using word of mouth referrals.

The story goes that David Marks (yes, I'm a HUGE:D fan) got a phone call left on his answering machine when DIY was interested in him and that his beautiful wife Victoria almost erased it thinking it was a joke from one of his woodworking buddies. Being it's almost 2009, if you're ever contacted, I'm sure it'll more than likely be by email:).

Also, in taking my class with David in Sept. of 2006, he said his first taping of Woodworks that he ever did was so bad that he hopes no one ever sees it. David is a humble guy and I'm sure it wasn't that bad, but regardless, look at him now! He taped 90 plus shows since his first time in front of a camera and he looked like a pro in every episode.

Like him or not, Marc from the Woodwhisperer is good, there's no doubt about it. But after watching you, I truly believe you'd be in the running if they were looking for a host on a woodworking related show.

David

p.s. Moral of my post is to not let your wife have access to your website email account or you might never know who was trying to contact you:eek:!
Also, I don't know John personally and we've never met. I just happen to think he's got a lot of potential.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 1:21 PM
Just checked it out. I am impressed with the site and video. Thanks for sharing.

John Nixon
12-09-2008, 9:08 PM
David,

I enjoyed that story about David Marks! I want to take one of his classes some day. Anyone that I've heard from that has taken a class from him has said similar things - he's a humble, regular guy, and a GREAT craftsman. He's been a huge influence on me.

My brother (who's not a woodworking) said something funny to me a while back. He calls me and says, "There's this woodworking guy on DIY that reminds me of you.". I told him I knew exactly who he was talking about, but then asked what the similarity was? He told that while watching my videos and David's show, he noticed that we're both working with the wrong hand. The nerve of my right-hand brother! :-)

Thanks again for your kind words David.

John

Stephen Edwards
12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey John,

The new format of your site is great! Thanks for sharing with us. The videos certainly make the project easier to understand and a joy to watch. Very well done, both the woodworking project and the video presentation.

Keep 'em coming!

John Nixon
12-27-2008, 8:53 PM
Thanks Stephen. I appreciate you taking the time to watch the videos and come back here and comment.

I wanted to let you and everyone else know that parts 5 and 6 are now available. There should be one more video left in this series, and then it's on to the next project!

To watch parts 5 and 6, follow this link and click the "Watch the Video" link towards the top:
http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/post/Arts-and-Crafts-Round-Table-Stickley-603-(round-tabouret).aspx

Part 5 - This video details the construction of the upper crossmembers. The authentic table has a dovetail joint that connects the upper cross member to the legs, while the imposter table uses a simple stub tenon and open mortise. The interlocking crossmembers fit together with a precise half-lap joint.
http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/projects/Stickley603/thumbs/videothumb_p5.JPG

Part 6 - This video details the assembly of both tables. You will see how loose tenon joinery can simplify the assembly of the imposter table. The benefits of a successful dry fit are stressed. For a lifetime of service, the mortise and tenon joints are pinned using dowels.
http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/projects/Stickley603/thumbs/videothumb_p6.JPG

Dewey Torres
12-27-2008, 8:59 PM
John,
Could you please make a new thread each time you update the website?

"Updated round table..."
or
"New project...."

I found this by happen chance but you have that David Marks quality about you and I have been following. I really like your site.

Thanks!

John Nixon
12-27-2008, 9:12 PM
Hi Dewey,

I don't mind creating a new thread when there's updates, but I didn't want to spam the forum (so I kept adding to the original post). I definitely want to let people know when there's new content, but I don't want to cross that line of looking like I'm just trying to get people over to my site.

If anyone is interested in getting updates through email or rss feeds, you can do both at my site (upper right-hand corner).

Thanks for your encouragement. I don't know if you remember the movie Crossroads (Ralph Machio plays a classically trained guitarist trying to become a blues player). There's a line in the movie where a guy tells him that he's not even a pimple on the late, great Robert Johnson's ass. I think of that line when someone mentions me and David Marks in the same sentence. I'll just keep plugging away for the next twenty years and keep learning.

Dewey Torres
12-27-2008, 9:20 PM
Hi Dewey,

I don't mind creating a new thread when there's updates, but I didn't want to spam the forum (so I kept adding to the original post). I definitely want to let people know when there's new content, but I don't want to cross that line of looking like I'm just trying to get people over to my site.

If anyone is interested in getting updates through email or rss feeds, you can do both at my site (upper right-hand corner).

Thanks for your encouragement. I don't know if you remember the movie Crossroads (Ralph Machio plays a classically trained guitarist trying to become a blues player). There's a line in the movie where a guy tells him that he's not even a pimple on the late, great Robert Johnson's ass. I think of that line when someone mentions me and David Marks in the same sentence. I'll just keep plugging away for the next twenty years and keep learning.

Yes I do remember!

Joe Satriani is my fav of all time and teacher of Steve Vai who really played all those licks!

Stephen Edwards
12-28-2008, 9:01 AM
John,

I just watched the other completed videos of the "round table" with my morning coffee. Your video presentations certainly make the different steps of projects easier to understand than just having a series of photos. Ain't the net great?!

Thanks again for sharing and encouraging those of us who are still developing our woodworking skills.