PDA

View Full Version : Measuring a Bandsaw

Elijah Fontenot
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
So where is the measurement taken when you get a 14" or a 20" bandsaw? They obviously look taller, wider, bigger, but this has stumped me.

This is my first post and i've been lurking for months and this is an Awsome place to be.

Thanks guys!

Ken Milhinch
12-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Elijah,

Broadly speaking, it's the measurement from the table to the highest point to which your blades guides can be raised. In the case of, say, a 14" bandsaw, that would mean you could put a piece of timber 14" wide on its edge and pass it through the blade. The measurement is rough and can vary by up to 1/2" either way.

Rick Fisher
12-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Technically its the size of the wheels which run the blade.

The cutting height can vary depending on the saw and if riser blocks have been added.

The most common sized saw is a 14". An 17" - 18" saw is the most common size for people who want something a bit bigger. 20" and over is considered a large saw.

If your considering a bandsaw, get the biggest you can afford. Plenty of folks resaw and cut curves on a 14" saw just fine but with bandsaws, bigger is better.

I have an 18" and a 24". The 24" makes the 18" seem like a toy. Its like comparing a contractor saw and a cabinet saw. My 24" saw only has a 13" height capacity but I have never needed larger..

If your looking to spend some money, check out the MM-16 or MM-20 saws.

Elijah Fontenot
12-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Wow guys, thats for the quick responses, But I am just beginning and looking for entry level and hoping to upgrade once funding increases. I have my choice of bandsaw narrowed down. I was just curious how and where they were measured.

So in theory a 14" bandsaw with a riser block can resaw how tall of a board?

Tom Veatch
12-08-2008, 12:13 AM

It'll vary a little depending on the specific model, but you can figure geometric capacity of around 12" either native capacity or with a riser block. I say "geometric capacity" because simply having room to shove a 12" tall block of wood at the blade doesn't guarantee that the saw is going to be able to handle it. Sort of like saying, "Yeah, the pickup bed isn't overflowing yet, so pour in some more sand!".

Dewey Torres
12-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Wow guys, thats for the quick responses, But I am just beginning and looking for entry level and hoping to upgrade once funding increases. I have my choice of bandsaw narrowed down. I was just curious how and where they were measured.

Elijah,
Forget about trying to compare band saw size to a standard height. It varies from company to company. Pick the saw you want and can afford and look at the specs for max cutting height (with or without) the riser.

I have a 14" Powermatic. It was an expensive saw for a 14 but worth it for me as my primary concern was quality.

With my saw for example, even though it is a 14" saw, it will only resaw 9 1/8" without a riser. Contrary to the posts here just because you buy a 14” saw does not mean 14” plus or minus ½”. You have to take into account the blade guides.

There are 14" Rikon and other models that far outdo the capacity of my Powermatic. I did not chose my saw because of the resaw capacity although I considered it...rather it was one of the best 14" saws on the market. Always get the best tool you can afford. It will pay off more than you can imagine in the long run.

Also, on the riser issue: Saws with risers react differently, deflect differently, and use different size blades than one without. If you can afford a saw that has the cutting capacity you need without utilizing a riser, go with it.

Since you are a newbie...listen to the advice posted here by others. The creekers will give you tons of advice that will save you money and headaches. Good luck on your purchase!:)

glenn bradley
12-08-2008, 12:29 AM
So in theory a 14" bandsaw with a riser block can re-saw how tall of a board?

I think you've gotten the message that BS size refers to the wheel size and not the cutting height. For example; a 24" bandsaw does not have a 2 foot cutting height. The saw specs will state a maximum cutting height if you can get this info for the saw you are looking at. Many 14" saws with a 6" riser will cut about 12" but obviously the rest of the saw would have to be up to it. A few of the beefier 14" saws are.

Dewey's got some good advice on factoring cutting height in as one of several variables in choosing a saw. A saw with fabulous cut quality that struggles through 1" material is of no more use to me than a saw with a substantial cutting height and plenty of power that wanders unpredictably through the cut.

I assume you are planning on doing some re-sawing as your focus is cutting height. Power, frame strength (flex control), guides, table flex and so forth would be things I would factor in along with the ultimate variable . . . cost. enjoy the search; its half the fun ;-)

Bill Huber
12-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Elijah,

Broadly speaking, it's the measurement from the table to the highest point to which your blades guides can be raised. In the case of, say, a 14" bandsaw, that would mean you could put a piece of timber 14" wide on its edge and pass it through the blade. The measurement is rough and can vary by up to 1/2" either way.

Ken, you guys must measure them different down under, we use the wheel size here.

Most of the 14 inch I looked at would resaw a 6 inch board, that is without a riser block.

Elijah Fontenot
12-08-2008, 1:03 AM
Thanks for the great info guys! I am wanting to resaw b/c after seeing bookmatched coffee tables and side tables I have fallen in love. I also haven't had any luck cutting arcs and curves b/c my jigsaw is not really quality, so I was going to buy a bandsaw and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Dewey Torres
12-08-2008, 1:12 AM
Thanks for the great info guys! I am wanting to resaw b/c after seeing bookmatched coffee tables and side tables I have fallen in love. I also haven't had any luck cutting arcs and curves b/c my jigsaw is not really quality, so I was going to buy a bandsaw and kill 2 birds with one stone.

In that case...please continue with eh band saw search but my here are some jigsaws for you:

1) Best on the market IMO:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18124
Available in the d handle style as well

2) Best value IMO:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=94008-353-1591EVSK&lpage=none
I have this one with a d handle and it is absolutely awesome. Along with the "extra clean cut blades" I would put it against all but the Festool and even then would be close.

John Bailey
12-08-2008, 1:13 AM
Ken, you guys must measure them different down under, we use the wheel size here.

Most of the 14 inch I looked at would resaw a 6 inch board, that is without a riser block.

Bill's correct. Advertised band saw size is the size of the wheel. This will give you, roughly, the size of cut horizontally, not vertically and is referred to as the "throat." So, for instance, a 14" band saw will give you a 14" cut between the blade and the backbone of the saw. An 18" band saw will give you an 18" cut, and so on. The ability to cut the full size of the throat will be limited by the normal blade guard at the backbone of the saw and will reduce the size of horizontal cut by a fraction.

Most band saws will give a "resaw" height also and this is the vertical cut. This varies greatly between saws. A typical Delta 14", or knockoff, will give you around a 6" resaw height without a riser block and 12" resaw without the riser block. The resaw is only limited by the design of the saw. Most new saws these days that are larger than the typical 14" Delta will resaw around 12"s or higher.

John

Rick Fisher
12-08-2008, 2:18 AM
I dont think I have ever resawn anything more than 10" in my life. That was 10x10 Rough cedar, not a terribly hard wood to cut.

Does anyone ever resaw really wide stock?

Joe Jensen
12-08-2008, 2:44 AM
I dont think I have ever resawn anything more than 10" in my life. That was 10x10 Rough cedar, not a terribly hard wood to cut.

Does anyone ever resaw really wide stock?

Rick, I think many who seek large resaw height are looking to cut blanks for turning. Although I'm sure someone here does it, I've not seen anyone resaw veneer more than 12" or so..joe

John Lanciani
12-08-2008, 7:51 AM
Rick,

I Have a Minimax 20" saw with about 15" of resaw capacity and I use it all the time (unfortunately for me, MM raised the resaw capacity to 20" within months of my purchase). I make all of my own veneers and I've never had a problem getting wide boards to start with. I've even come up short on capacity enough times that I'm planning on removing the trunions under the table to gain another 2.5" of height. Since I never tilt the table i figure that as long as I can square it to the blade there's no loss to me.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2008, 9:02 AM
Typically it refers to wheel diameter and in some cases it also refers to the distance from the blade to the spine and vertical resaw capability.

On my MM-16.....16" diameter wheel...16" from the blade to the spine....16" resaw capability....

Jim Becker
12-08-2008, 9:09 AM

Physically, the limit would typically be about 12" tall, but you'll be having a less-than-fun-time resawing wood that tall on a typical 14" band saw due to power limitations. You can do it with the right blade, but the going will be slow. IMHO, the chief advantage to having the rider kit on a 14" saw is the increased visibility!

Ken Milhinch
12-08-2008, 9:16 AM
Typically it refers to wheel diameter and in some cases it also refers to the distance from the blade to the spine and vertical resaw capability.

On my MM-16.....16" diameter wheel...16" from the blade to the spine....16" resaw capability....

What Ken said.
I must have taken stupid pills this morning. When I went back to read my original answer, I was left shaking my head and wondering what the hell I was talking about.:o
Sorry if I mislead you Elijah.

Chris Schumann
12-08-2008, 1:03 PM
Along with what others have already said, there are some bandsaws with three wheels, commonly smaller saws, say around 9 inches. They can have a deeper throat, but typically have a shorter depth of cut, and are for smaller projects.

Then there are bandsaws for metal, and for meat, but I don't know a thing about those... except the meat bandsaws often have a lot of stainless steel. Very pretty and very pricey.