PDA

View Full Version : Performax 16/32 Drum Sander Question

Edward P. Surowiec
12-07-2008, 9:51 PM
What would you look at on a used Drum Sander??
I might be able to buy a used one , asking price is $400.
Thanks
Ed

Rob Diz
12-07-2008, 9:57 PM
Look to see the size of the dust port 2 1/2 inch means it is an older unit and does not ahve the load indicator on teh belt that slows when load increases and burning likely

check the conveyor belt to see if it is frayed or damaged - they are expensive

run a board through it and see if it is even. If not, it may not have been adjusted properly.

Look at the sandpaper to see how it loaded up - which could show you if the drum is damaged.

These are pretty strong machines. If used in a hobby shop, the liklihood is that it is in good shape.

I'm still looking for one of these in the price range you have. I would move quickly.

Jason Beam
12-07-2008, 9:58 PM
Look for the following:

A real 4" dust port on the top. The older models had 2" ones.

A 1.5hp motor. The older models had only 1hp ones and would frequently trip the overload.

Tracking kit or new tracking mechanism. This one is one i'm not too familliar with, the one I picked up had the retro-fit kit in a box, but looks like a solid tracking system is already in place (adjustable on both sides).

Infeed/Outfeed tables are very well regarded. If it has 'em, you're in good shape.

I paid $400 for mine last spring. From all I've read, if it doesn't have the 1.5hp motor it might be best to let it go. I can't say that from experience, just what I've read. Same goes for the 4" dust port.

Lots of other good advice in this thread, too:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88261

Jim Kountz
12-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Mine is an older one with the 1hp motor and it has never in the 12 years Ive owned it tripped a breaker. Not once. Id say jump on it if you still can, it wont be around long at that price.

frank shic
12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
i got one off of craigslist.org last year for around that price and i can tell you that it's made a dramatic improvement on the quality of raised panel doors that i've built. the 4" dust port definitely helps if you hook it up to a real dust collector.

Dennis Montgomery
12-07-2008, 11:46 PM
If it runs, for $400 jump on it. Everything else is just adjustments. I paid $900 new for mine a year ago.

Dewey Torres
12-08-2008, 12:58 AM
GO buy it, Come back here to learn how to fix what may be needed!

John Eaton
12-08-2008, 6:36 AM
The older ones actually have a 2.5" dust port and to tell the truth I've never had an issue with mine not getting the dust off a board - I think it was changed to a 4" port to match the current "sweet spot" for DC hoses. As for the load sensor, I've never had an issue with burning - when you think about it if it's burning your either pushing it too fast or trying to take too much off in one pass. I think it's more of a gimmick than anything (but others may have different experiences). I got my used made-in-USA unit for $250 and it came with 4 rolls of paper. I then bought the extention tables from Amazon (they were around $70) so you might want to check to see if yours has those.

-- John

Stephen Edwards
12-08-2008, 9:08 AM
The older ones actually have a 2.5" dust port and to tell the truth I've never had an issue with mine not getting the dust off a board - I think it was changed to a 4" port to match the current "sweet spot" for DC hoses. As for the load sensor, I've never had an issue with burning - when you think about it if it's burning your either pushing it too fast or trying to take too much off in one pass. I think it's more of a gimmick than anything

Yeah, what he said. I've got the same one, the older model, and have had no issues with DC. You have to get the feel of it to avoid burning. The main thing that causes burning is trying to take off to much in one pass.

I'd get it if it's a sound machine and needed one. Like the OP said, the rest of it is adjustments.

One more thing, the used one that I bought had a few rough spots on the belt......has had no adverse impact on the sanding.