PDA

View Full Version : First Antler Turnings

Billy Tallant
12-07-2008, 9:11 PM
Decided to try to turn antlers today. My dad has been carving antlers for a long time now. So I decided to show him what I could create. The bottom part of the pen was a little curved so I had to cut the antler down a little further than I would have liked. The top I left a little thick to be able to show a little grain on it. I left the letter opener thick because I liked the grain pattern. Both was finished with a lacquer coat & polished down with a paper sack. I use to paint wood crafts & finish off the paint with a paper sack rubdown. So I thought I would see if it would work on the antler finish. Seemed to work ok. Finished off the day with one more slimline that had an interesting grain pattern.

My dad wants 6 of the antler pens made for Christmas gifts for some of his friends. So now I've got to get busy.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2008, 9:34 PM
Those are some very nice pens and letter opener. Yep time to get to work.

John Terefenko
12-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Very nice work on all. Question, where did you get the letter opener kit and is there a mandrel for it??? Or is it just turned to whatever looks good??? Thanks for the reply.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Nice work on everything Billy! Really like the letter opener!

Billy Tallant
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
John,

Picked up the letter opener kit at Rocklers. 7mm tube & just used my pen mandrel.

Very nice work on all. Question, where did you get the letter opener kit and is there a mandrel for it??? Or is it just turned to whatever looks good??? Thanks for the reply.

Don Carter
12-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Billy:
I have found that deer hunting and turning kinda go together. When I started turning pens, everyone in my hunting club wanted a pen from something that they killed. It became a joke that some had not killed anything big enough to get a pen out of.
Looks like you are on your way to the vortex. Those look great!

All the best.

Don

Billy Tallant
12-10-2008, 1:08 AM
Thanks for all the comments & kind replies... I'm definately hooked at this point. My dad wants six antler pens for Christmas gifts so I will have to get busy this week...

Skip Spaulding
12-10-2008, 7:06 PM
Nice work Billy, I do like that letter opener. Bet you could turn a good looking hunting knife handle from antler. Skip