PDA

View Full Version : Ironwood cane

Mark Hix
12-07-2008, 9:09 PM
My mother asked me to make her a cane. Up to now, except for pens, I have successfully avoided spindles. This is Ironwood, I am not sure which variety. The handle took 3 attempts to get right (not that it is perfect). So far, sanded to 400 and BLO. I may put a lacquer finish or leave it the way it is. She saw the shaft with out the handle and liked the finish the way it was.

Thanks for looking. As always, your tips and criticisms will be put to good use.

Scott Lux
12-07-2008, 9:18 PM
Very nice. And since it's ironwood it should be strong enough to support at least three of her.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2008, 9:29 PM
Mark nice looking cane. She is going to like it.

ROY DICK
12-07-2008, 9:36 PM
Well done. I can't tell from the pic,but does it have a rubber tip on the bottom?

Roy

Mark Hix
12-07-2008, 9:42 PM
She does not move around alot so I epoxied a large faucet washer on the bottom to see how it works. I read somewhere about someone trying that. If it does not work, I will add a slip on tip. I just don't like the way those look.

Bill Bolen
12-07-2008, 9:54 PM
Great project, you certainly put your pen turning skills to good use! Now do not make her mad like you did when you were just a kid. That ironwood would get your attention real fast!...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Very nice looking cane Mark! Nice style and the wood grain is beautiful! Your mother is going to love it!

Don Carter
12-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Mark:
That is a beautiful cane! Your mom has a thoughtful son. I bet she is going to love it. Thanks for showing it.
All the best.

Don

Leo Van Der Loo
12-08-2008, 12:21 AM
You did a nice job on that Mark, and for the finish I would keep it an oil finish, as it is a daily used item, it will get bumped and scraped and smudgy, with an hardening oil it is easy to clean and renew with just some scrubbing and a coat of oil to bring it back to new, would not be so easy with chipped and scraped lacquer.
One of those tips would make for a long lived and safe tip to your cane, this is from the Lee Valley catalog.

robert hainstock
12-08-2008, 8:11 AM
very nice looking cane. Leo is right, a more permanent tip will be forthcoming I suspect . I use a cane sporadicaly, and use the cheap harwre store tips. They do wear out. The Lee Valley do look btter, if you can get replacement tips. I've had one expierence where a wornout tip slipped and threw me headend over teacup. I'll watch them more carefully in the future. :eek::eek::)
Bob

Keith Burns
12-08-2008, 9:01 AM
Nice cane for sure Mark. I'm sure it will become a prized posession for your Mom and she will show it off and brag to all her friends.

Mark Hix
12-08-2008, 6:20 PM
Thanks for the nice words. I think I will hunt around for a better tip so it will be easier to replace.