PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo Jaws for Talon Chuck

Paul Stroik
12-07-2008, 9:02 PM
I would appreciate some pros and cons regarding the Jumbo Jaws. I would like to turn some plates and bowls after the Holidays. I am pretty sure I can turn bowls without the JJ but plates got me thinking and I decided to do some research on the JJ. I am certain that experienced turners may not have a need for this but as a Novice I am pretty sure that I would need to be re-chucking the plate for fix-its.

At this time I am not ready for a vacuum setup and the reason I am considering the Jumbo Jaws.

Paul

Larry Marley
12-07-2008, 9:17 PM
Hi Paul,
the jumbo jaws work. you can use them to reverse chuck to remove the tenon from the bottom of the bowl or platter. To work well the bowl needs a bit of a lip, either turned in or turned out. a vertical rim can slip out. They can mar the finish on your bowl as well, I use masking tape to protect the rim on some pieces. You can use a thin piece of plywood to help the jaws hold when the jaws are not enough. See pic..

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Paul - when I first started out I picked up some mini-jumbo jaws for my Talon. Had to get the mini as my lathe at the time had only a 12" swing.... Anyway, the jaws do work but you have to take very light cuts or you will launch your turning! After losing a few bowls that way, I made myself a donut chuck. Donut chucks work a lot better as you have support around the outside of the turning and not just at the edges. Just something else for you to consider....

Ron McKinley
12-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Donut chucks work very well as do Longworth chucks. Both work better than the Jumbo Jaws......Ron

Paul Stroik
12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
More information to consider - Thanks. I do have the Jet 1220 by the way. Being a 12" swing I assumed from reading articles that the Jumbo Jaws would be the size I needed!? Maybe it was the mini jumbo I was looking at!

Anyway, I found plenty of articles on making a Longworth Chuck so will plan on that avenue as well. Seems the most feasible and cost effective for the number of times it would be used. And, It appears that the donut chuck is a good option if just working on the bottom of the plate/bowl and also appears to be simple enough to construct.

Yes Steve, I am hoping to avoid any 'more' launching of objects from the lathe. At least trying that is.

Now my Question here is - What is the difference between the Longworth and the Jumbo Jaws? And why/how would one work better over the other - curious?

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Paul - I haven't used a Longworth chuck - but have to think it would be the same method of holding the bowl in place as the jumbo jaws. I did some checking on the mini-jumbo jaws and in the fully closed position the jaws measure 8.5", the jumbo jaws measure 11". To use the full range of motion on a lathe with 12" swing - you would have to use the mini-jumbo jaw set.

Wally Wenzel
12-08-2008, 8:56 AM
If you decide to build a longworth chuck you can make your knobs or buttons any shape you want, you can make them shaped so they will hold much better than the jumbo jaws. I have the mini jaws but never use them since i made the longworth. Wally

George Guadiane
12-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I would appreciate some pros and cons regarding the Jumbo Jaws. I would like to turn some plates and bowls after the Holidays. I am pretty sure I can turn bowls without the JJ but plates got me thinking and I decided to do some research on the JJ. I am certain that experienced turners may not have a need for this but as a Novice I am pretty sure that I would need to be re-chucking the plate for fix-its.

At this time I am not ready for a vacuum setup and the reason I am considering the Jumbo Jaws.

Paul
JJ are great for a lot of things.
I use plywood on a face plate and pallet/stretch wrap for stuff that is too large a diameter for the jumbo jaws. I use LOWER SPEEDS and have had great results, that wrap is STRONG stuff.
If you turn the plywood to the same diameter as the plate, you will be able to recenter it without too much trouble, besides, I use the existing center, held with the tail stock till the very VERY last, it insures that nothing will go flying, and that it stays centered... It's fairly easy to work down to the last bit, then move the tailstock back, heck I even do that when using the JJ (a little safer).
Hope That Helps,
G

Bill Bolen
12-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Jumbo jaws and Longworth chucks work the same way. Both rely on holding the outer edge of your project and both can still launch a piece if you get heavy handed. The Longworth has movable jaws so the set up and mounting is a bit easier than screwing in and screwing out all those pins. Plus, if you make it yourself then the whole process is a bit more satisfying. I have and use both but usually reach for the Longworth...Bill..

john taliaferro
12-08-2008, 1:02 PM
keep a open mind

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2008, 1:42 PM
I used a donut chuck with great results for a long time. No worry about launching anything. I used a adaptor in my tailstock to screw my chuck on before I took it off the bowl and when brought up to the donut chuck is centered just fine. Now I use a vacuum chuck most of the time.

Kim Ford
12-08-2008, 1:56 PM
My suggestion: Start with the donut chuck and then if you think you want to try the JJ go for it. The donut chuck will probably be a safer setup and it teaches you a lot about what you can and can't do in a re-cuck.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-08-2008, 2:06 PM
There's none "best for everything", the longworth is low cost and works fine for regular low type of bowls, it doesn't have the same clamping power the chuck based jumbo jaws have, and isn't able to hold other shapes like the Jumbo Jaws are able to do.
The donut chucks are also low cost, but work only in a narrow size area, so you'd need a whole bunch of sizes to cover the same size range the longworth and Jumbo jaws cover.
I use a set of Mega jumbo jaws and have worn out a set of buttons on it, I'm pleased with their quality and adaptability and holding power in their limited way, as it is not like you are having the pieces on a faceplate or steel chuck jaws, so you do have to be reasonable in what to expect with any of these products.

Paul Stroik
12-08-2008, 9:41 PM
Lotsa info here. Really appreciate everyone sharing their input. No thanks John. I don't ever foresee keeping an open mind to that extent. But it is interesting to see what options and ideas are out there if one puts their mind to it.

Okay...Build it and if it does not turn out...buy it. I think I've got.