PDA

View Full Version : Desk top

Joe Chritz
12-07-2008, 8:27 PM
I am currently building a pair of L shape computer desks for the offsprings. Normally I would get some 5/4 Oak and make a 1" thick top (the thickness I want) but we (read that the better half) decided we wanted formica tops with a wood edge since they have 10 + years of kid/school work to put up with. Size is 20" deep, 48" long on one L and 72" on the other. The 48" has only an end and corner support. The 72" has about a 28" base on the far end.

I have made plenty of formica tops from screwed together 3/4 High density particle board but I am thinking about using two pieces of 1/2 birch laminated together somehow. (excuse for vacuum press???)

My thoughts are that I can overlap the seams for the final assembly to add some strength.

Are there any disadvantages to going this route? I can't think of any but figured I would toss it out for the collective intelligence to look at.

Thanks

Joe

Rod Sheridan
12-08-2008, 9:11 AM
Hi, with a 20 inch wide panel, wood expansion/contraction would be an issue with the Formica top.

You would be better with plywood or MDF.

Interestingly, my daughter is just making herself a computer desk with a 1 inch thick red oak top, and a piece of glass on top as a writing surface.....Something else to consider......Regards, Rod.

Frank Drew
12-08-2008, 9:35 AM
Joe,

You meant two pieces of 1/2" birch ply, right? Not solid?

Nothing wrong with Formica for this application, but I like your original plan of using oak; they're not going to destroy it as they might a softer wood, and it would always look better.

Jamie Buxton
12-08-2008, 10:54 AM
A 48x72 L shape can come out of one sheet of MDF or plywood. I'd use plywood, 'cause I hate MDF, and plywood doesn't sag like MDF. No joinery is necessary.

I'd use 3/4" material, and add 1/4"-thick strips at the edges and a few places in the middle to make it sit 1" tall. Trying to laminate a large area is difficult unless you have something like a vacuum press. Or, you may be able to buy 1"-thick ply; one of my dealers offers it.

Tony Bilello
12-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Its relatively light and shouldn't sag under its own weight, especially a double layer. Depending on your spans, a double layer may not be necessary. Use a strip along the edges and middle to build up a thicker look as suggested earlier. This will also add some strength.

Joe Chritz
12-08-2008, 1:22 PM
Yes the top will be plywood, not solid.

I prefer solid wood with no Formica but I believe in picking the battles that are worth fighting if you follow.

Originally it was wider than 48 so I was thinking about making overlap seems but seems I can get 48 from a 48" piece now can't I. :rolleyes:

I have some 1/2 material so I may use one sheet with some supports or grab up a sheet of 3/4 and band it. I imagine if I ran a 3" double layer all around it would be a bit lighter and still plenty strong.

Thanks

FWIW, the desk that is replacing this old one I am on now will have a solid top.

Joe