PDA

View Full Version : Corel 12 tutorial/raster scan to Vector...

Shaddy Dedmore
06-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Well, I got my 24TT, and am now trying to figure out what to do with it (c:

I'd like to do some Scroll Saw patterns, but am wondering if I'm making things too hard.

I've scanned in some pics (I've posted one, but don't know policy, you can remove if you want) This looks like a toughie. What would the best way to go about this be, I have Corel 12. THere is some overlap that will have to be left raster, and other portions of same line be vector... Is there a tutorial somewhere out there that might cover this?

Should I stick with something simpler first?

Most of the things I have planned for this involve scanning in plans, so i kinda need to learn it. But I haven't had the best luck with the help sections of Corel.

Any pointers will be appreciated...

Thanks a bunch

Admin Edit: Had to remove the graphic attached, it was copywrited material.

Keith Outten
06-10-2004, 2:11 AM
I found this on the web, maybe it will help.

Shaddy Dedmore
06-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks, looks like a good place to start. I've done plenty with Paint Shop Pro, but that was mostly photo editing, no vector stuff.

Looks like there are a lot of Raster-to-Vector programs out there, are any a must have for what I want to do? (scan in scrollsaw patterns). Or would they be just similar to Corel Trace that comes with Corel Draw? Photograv worth the investment (after already having Corel)?

Let's say I'm just wanting to scan a pic for engraving, but I want to cut around it, is there a vector function in Corel that can just add a vector outline around the pic? (preferably with an adjustable buffer between the pic and the line, so it's not cutting out on the engraved line) Or am I stuck with tracing it by hand.

ummmmm, I think that's all I have right now.

Oh yeah, I have Netscape, and to download the Zip (in case other people have issues too) I had to Right click over it, and choose "Save Link Target As"... My issue was, it wanted to save it as "vector.zip.html"... simply delete the ".html" portion, and it will download fine. A regular LeftClick would bring up ascii characters on the screen.

Thanks Keith, great site, by the way.

Bret

Kevin Dill
07-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Hello Shaddy,

You are very fortunate that you got Corel draw for you design program. There is a ton of help literature out there for it. Most noticeably is the Corel for dummy’s books. I am not calling you a dummy, I myself own about 15-20 in that set of books; from Linux for dummy’s to Windows Xp for dummy’s. They are very useful and very informative. I would give they a look at.

<O:p

I also have many programs at my disposal being a vinyl sign maker before I became a Laser Engraver’er. Some of the programs I have used and still use to this day are Cadlink’s VE Platinum and Scanvecamiable’s VE Lxi Master plus. I have used both for the raster to vector conversion. I have to be honest with you Scanvec’s is much better than Corel’s or Cadlink’s. It has basically has more trace options than the two combines. Both of them have a basic trace. In VE Lxi Master Plus there is 4 different ones, Centerline, regular and color. There is a picture trace but it is for specific applications only. Most people won’t ever use. If one of them doesn’t work then one of the others usually do.

I am attaching 2 files, one is the original bitmap (kind of like a scroll saw drawing) and the other is the file after it when through VE Lxi’s Centerline trace. I had to do some clean up, but no more than 15 min’s of it. I put the file in .cdr so you can import it into your Corel Draw and take a look at it.

Kevin Dill

Kevin Dill
07-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Ok, I uploaded the images but I don't see where I can attach them.

Does anyone know how to do that?

George M. Perzel
07-23-2004, 5:25 PM
Kevin;
Scroll down when you post a reply- there are additional options where you can add attachments.
George M. Perzel

George M. Perzel
07-23-2004, 5:33 PM
Shaddy;
Don't know what kind of scanner you have, but you can pick up a HP 5470c Scanjet pretty cheap.-why? because this unit comes with software that has built in raster to vector scan mode - pretty good for things like scrollsaw patterns.
What Corel Draw version do you have? The new Corel 12 Trace program is much better than it's predesessors (sp?). You can play around with its various trace modes and get different results from the same image.
I do not have any affiliation with HP or Corel.
George M. Perzel