PDA

View Full Version : Double NE Hollow form

Jeff Nicol
12-07-2008, 4:48 PM
This one is from a giant burl that I found last summer. The burl was on a yellow birch about 3' off the ground. The whole thing was bout 5' across and the tree was very dead. The burl is weathered and gray but the wood is somewhere between balsa and white pine for density. It turns nice but has some punky spots here and there and tears out some. A lot of sanding and it looks pretty nice. It has the nice spalting in it and the contrast between the cream and brown is nice! It is hard to see in the picture but it has some nice curl in it also! There is a picture of part of the burl, I have 5 hunks like that or bigger!

Thanks,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 5:03 PM
Very interesting form Jeff! The wood has some nice color and spalt in it! The photo displaying the bottom of the form does show off some of the curl! Nice work!

Brian Effinger
12-07-2008, 5:47 PM
Very cool :cool:
I don't think I've seen a HF like that before. Good work. :)

Bill Bolen
12-07-2008, 7:52 PM
Excellent!! And quite unique. Obviously a lot of good caring work went into this piece and it paid off well...Bill..

Richard Madison
12-07-2008, 7:55 PM
As Steve said, very interesting piece indeed. From the side it has a kind of "Aladdin's Lamp" look.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2008, 9:36 PM
Very unique our of some good looking burl. There seems to be a flash of curl in it.