PDA

View Full Version : Close to pulling the trigger on new planer

Jack Porter
12-07-2008, 3:48 PM
Well, I've narrowed it down to the Delta 22-580 or the Dewalt 735. After all accessories, the dewalt is about an additional $220.

Delta $400+$25 dust hood
Dewalt $599+$45 dust hood+$45 extension tables

It seems that most have positive reviews of both machines, would anyone stongly recommned the extra $220 for the dewalt?
I'm plan to purchase it from grizzy since I have a few gift cards laying around.:) And the lowest price I can find the dewalt in this area is $569.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Matt Day
12-07-2008, 3:55 PM
I think this thread belongs in the General Woodworking and Power Tool Forum, where you'd have better luck.

Jack Porter
12-07-2008, 3:56 PM
thanks, I'm trying to move it over there but am having technical difficulties

glenn bradley
12-07-2008, 4:13 PM
I can't speak to the Delta but my dad has the 735. It is a great little planer. I have the 734 and really like it as well; the 3 knives are beefier that the 735's but you don't get the slower speed. Tables are included but the machine's profile is taller like the Delta. Just some general rambling on my part.

Peter Elliott
12-07-2008, 5:58 PM
Had both. DW735 seems to me to be the better of the two. If you want to save some bucks, search for a barely used one. I did and made out very well. They are not that uncommon on c-list or e-bay.

I use the dw735 almost every other day. I broke one cog, order it replaced and back planning. I am looking into the shelix blades too. Not sure if you can do that on the Delta.

Main issue with the delta was the feed. It seem to stall a lot when chips got on the rollers. Also, the chip collection is no where near the dw735. I did prefer the finish setting on the delta.

DW735 was the winner at my shop.
-Peter

Chris Kennedy
12-07-2008, 6:27 PM
Jack,

I don't know where you are planning to buy your planer, but I saw the DeWalt 735 for $499 at my local Lowes this morning. I did a double take when I saw it. The website is saying a lot more, but you may want to check your local borg on the off chance . . . .

Cheers,

Chris

Jack Porter
12-07-2008, 6:33 PM
Jack,

I don't know where you are planning to buy your planer, but I saw the DeWalt 735 for $499 at my local Lowes this morning. I did a double take when I saw it. The website is saying a lot more, but you may want to check your local borg on the off chance . . . .

Cheers,

Chris

I looked at both lowes and 2 HD's in the area and all are selling it for $569, and that is their "reduced" price. I also asked if they planned on lowering the price anytime soon or having a sale on it, but they did not have anything scheduled. I know some others are getting the 735 pretty cheap at other HD's, but none around me.

Steve Vaughn
12-07-2008, 6:34 PM
Jack,

Cheers,

Chris

Same here. The web site says $649.00 but the Lowes stores that I've checked (2) show it at $499.00 as an every day price.

Steve

Steve Vaughn
12-07-2008, 6:37 PM
I looked at both lowes and 2 HD's in the area and all are selling it for $569, and that is their "reduced" price. I also asked if they planned on lowering the price anytime soon or having a sale on it, but they did not have anything scheduled. I know some others are getting the 735 pretty cheap at other HD's, but none around me.

I could try sending you a picture of the price from my telephone if you think they would go for it. It might take me a while since I've never done that. If you're interested PM me your info.

Edit: I found out how to get the pictures off of my phone.

Steve

Cary Falk
12-07-2008, 6:53 PM
I have the Delta. It is a great little planer. I wouldn't spend an extra $200 on the Dewalt. I am currently saving my pennies to get a Grizzly 15" spiral cutterhead planer for extra capacity, spiral cutterhead, and noise. I believe the Dewalt is one of the loudest on the market. I would check CL. I see a lot of lunchboxes on there in my area.

Doug Shepard
12-07-2008, 7:11 PM
Those 2 would be on the top of my list for 12" benchtop planers too. But I'm wondering how close Steel City's 16" "benchtop" planer with granite tables is to coming out. Seems like it's been 6-8 months reports surfaced that this was in the works.

Jason White
12-07-2008, 7:19 PM
Hi Jack. I see we're neighbors (I'm in metrowest Boston)!

I have the Delta 22-580. It's a sweet little planer.

However, a couple of things. First, replacement blades are all but impossible to find locally (home centers, etc.). Lowe's used to stock them, but now only stock 12" or 12-1/2" blades. The blades are the "disposable" type, but are reversible.

Also, I've had some issues with the rollers not pulling the boards all the way through. This usually only happens when the weather turns cold, which I'm sure is part of the problem. Rubber gets cold, it becomes less pliable and less "grippy." I imagine dull blades could also be part of the problem, especially considering I haven't changed them in the 4 years I've had the planer.

I think I bought the planer on Amazon, but I'm sure I didn't pay the $523 they're asking. I'd shop around or wait for it to go on sale. Funny, I was sure Delta discontinued this planer. That might work in your favor if you can find it on closeout someplace.

You're welcome to come try it out if you're in the neighborhood.

Jason

Well, I've narrowed it down to the Delta 22-580 or the Dewalt 735. After all accessories, the dewalt is about an additional $220.

Delta $400+$25 dust hood
Dewalt $599+$45 dust hood+$45 extension tables

It seems that most have positive reviews of both machines, would anyone stongly recommned the extra $220 for the dewalt?
I'm plan to purchase it from grizzy since I have a few gift cards laying around.:) And the lowest price I can find the dewalt in this area is $569.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Shawn Christ
12-07-2008, 9:04 PM
I recently purchased a refurbished DeWalt 735 planer off eBay and am very happy with it. It was well-packaged and works (and looks) as good as new. I would recommend it to anyone.

The refurbed DW735 planer was from Toolking (this was my second refurb tool from them - they also sell on Amazon). 'Buy it Now' price was $379 + shipping - 10% fall discount code - 25% live search discount = $305.

Jeff Bratt
12-07-2008, 10:58 PM
As others have mentioned, you can probably find a better price than $599. Then, if you want to lose the expensive accessories, take a look here (http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/WoodWorking/Shop/Shop.html#Planer_Stand) for ideas...

Jack Porter
12-08-2008, 9:51 PM
Hi Jack. I see we're neighbors (I'm in metrowest Boston)!

I have the Delta 22-580. It's a sweet little planer.

However, a couple of things. First, replacement blades are all but impossible to find locally (home centers, etc.). Lowe's used to stock them, but now only stock 12" or 12-1/2" blades. The blades are the "disposable" type, but are reversible.

Also, I've had some issues with the rollers not pulling the boards all the way through. This usually only happens when the weather turns cold, which I'm sure is part of the problem. Rubber gets cold, it becomes less pliable and less "grippy." I imagine dull blades could also be part of the problem, especially considering I haven't changed them in the 4 years I've had the planer.

I think I bought the planer on Amazon, but I'm sure I didn't pay the $523 they're asking. I'd shop around or wait for it to go on sale. Funny, I was sure Delta discontinued this planer. That might work in your favor if you can find it on closeout someplace.

You're welcome to come try it out if you're in the neighborhood.

Jason

thanks for the info, it looks like you're right, the delta is discontinued. I am leaning towards the dewalt, but still haven't made up my mind, pretty much based on price. Any major risks with buying a discontinued model?:confused:

Prashun Patel
12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I like my 735. FWW did a review of 'portable' planers a little while ago and the DW735 got the top spot.

I do agree with other posters that the 735 needs auxiliary infeed and outfeed support. Without it, it's really hard to avoid dips on the leading and trailing 6" of yr pieces...

Shawn Buonarosa
12-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Dewalt raised the price of the 735 recently to $650, some places have been slow to catch on though. So if you're in the market for one and see it for the original $499, grab it and run.
This subject is near and dear to me tonight , as I finally got the tool fund up to $500, and drove over to Sears, where a week ago they still had it at $499.... and well I think you know where I'm going..yep $649! Aaarghhhh!
I had my first cutting board all glued up and ready to go through it and everything...sob, sob. :(

Joe Von Kaenel
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Jack,

Just a thought, did you look at the Grizzly portable planers? The G0505 is a 2 hp one. I have one and it is a great little planer for $291.50 including shipping. They also have the G0663 on sale for $199.95 not including shipping. Grizzly has the delta for $446.60 including shipping.

Joe

Todd Crawford
12-09-2008, 2:26 PM
It's still $499 on the Lowes website....

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221858-70-DW735&lpage=none

Edit: I bought the Hitachi 13F from Lowes's a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. I have run a lot ot wood through it and have not had any problems at all. Not sure that it is still available because it does not show up on their website. I think I got it for about $350 with a stand and infeed/outfeed tables.

Anthony Anderson
12-09-2008, 3:34 PM
Hey Jack, I just checked online and it is In Stock at the Saugus, MA store. Price online is $499, and you can pay online, and pick it up at the store. You still have to pay tax at $25, but still a better deal. You can also buy a Lowe's online coupon code on Ebay for apprx. $3-$5, which will get you another 10% off. I have used one of the codes before and it works fine. Most sellers of coupons will email you the code and you can use it instantly. Check the Ebay description for the email code. That would make the planer $475 w/ tax and out the door. Hope this is of some help. Bill

Derek Tuchscherer
12-09-2008, 3:44 PM
Busybee tools up here in Canada has the Dewalt 735 w/stand for $525, and Rona has the same Planer w/stand for $549, I think I saw that Sears in Canada is offering $499 w/o stand until mid January.

Jason White
12-09-2008, 4:53 PM
Nah. You'll be able to get parts for it for several years at least.

JW

thanks for the info, it looks like you're right, the delta is discontinued. I am leaning towards the dewalt, but still haven't made up my mind, pretty much based on price. Any major risks with buying a discontinued model?:confused:

Jack Porter
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the information guys, greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to go with the Delta, mainly since I have a few hundred bucks of gift cards at Grizzly and am being a cheap a$$ with x-mas coming up.

It seems like the 735 is the "right" thing to do, we'll see. I'm just looking forward to moving on with the purchase and getting back to some woodworking instead of contemplating which tool to buy. Somtimes I think my hobby is really shop upgrading and outfitting, I' afraid what would happen if I ever expanded the shop (one car garage), yikes! Well this is the last tool purchase for the year, good thing it's December.