PDA

View Full Version : Frued RS 1000 setup

Ben Abate
12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Hello all,

I have a question for you, I purchased a Frued RS 1000 cope set a while back and have recently been fooling with it. All in all is seems be be a very well designed set up. I do have one problem, when doing the cope cuts for stile and rails the copes don't seem to intergrate well with the stile cuts......

When putting the stile and rail together there is always a small gap on the top surface. when laying flat on a table the two members have a 1/32" gap, I can close it with a clamp but that's not the proper thing to do, plus it raises the two stiles slightly. I've been fooling around with this for few days on and off and I can't get this to work properly...... I went the extent of building a sled with De-sta-co clamps with hopes that would solve my problem...............................

Now the rest of the cut interlocks fine with the stile cuts........ I've made sure that the cutters are properly seated in the body, and my spindle is properly aligned and not leaning. My shaper is able to move 45 degrees but it is right on the money.

If anyone has run into this problem please let me know how you solved it. Thank you

Ben

Larry Edgerton
12-07-2008, 1:14 PM
I think it is in the carbide. I have one profile that does it and several that do not. I just take a pass with a plane when I use that profile to shave it on the back.
I realize you shouldn't have to but somethimes the fastest solution is to just deal with it in the easiest manner. I tend to make solutions too complicated, something I am working to stop.

Ben Abate
12-07-2008, 5:58 PM
Larry,

thanks for the reply, I have to agree about making too much of things. But you know, when a system is suppose to work in a defined manner I expect them to preform in that manner. I always believe it is me and that a large company like Frued would not put a product out that is not up to the task. I think I'll contact Frued and see what they say......... if they reply at all......

I'll let you know if I get a response from them.

Ben

Charles McCracken
12-08-2008, 9:16 AM
Hello all,

I have a question for you, I purchased a Frued RS 1000 cope set a while back and have recently been fooling with it. All in all is seems be be a very well designed set up. I do have one problem, when doing the cope cuts for stile and rails the copes don't seem to intergrate well with the stile cuts......

When putting the stile and rail together there is always a small gap on the top surface. when laying flat on a table the two members have a 1/32" gap, I can close it with a clamp but that's not the proper thing to do, plus it raises the two stiles slightly. I've been fooling around with this for few days on and off and I can't get this to work properly...... I went the extent of building a sled with De-sta-co clamps with hopes that would solve my problem...............................

Now the rest of the cut interlocks fine with the stile cuts........ I've made sure that the cutters are properly seated in the body, and my spindle is properly aligned and not leaning. My shaper is able to move 45 degrees but it is right on the money.

If anyone has run into this problem please let me know how you solved it. Thank you

Ben

Ben,

Are you sure you are getting full depth of cut from both cuts? I case you are not aware, the fence position changes slightly between the rail and stile setups.

Ben Abate
12-09-2008, 4:47 PM
Charles,

If your meaning that the outfeed fence needs to be adjusted for the removal of stock, yes. I have the outfeed fence set outward to accept the smaller dimension of the stock. I do understand that both cutter heads remove stock and reduce the original measurment of the stock. I haven't contacted Frued as of yet. I have been tied up,but I may following this post to see if I can get an answer.

thanks
Ben