PDA

View Full Version : Advice on drum sanders please

Paul Greathouse
12-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I've been looking at drum sanders lately. I had pretty much settled on the 26" Steel City. Then these two used machines came available simi-locally (140 miles from me). 2005 Shop Fox 25" and 2006 Exrema 37". They are both owned by a father and son cabinet shop that switched to a larger 3 phase wide belt sander. They both appear to be in good shape.

They want $750 for the Shop Fox W1678 with 5hp motor and $2500 for the Exrema DS-372 with 7.5hp single phase motor. I'm leaning toward the Extrema because I would get more capacity than the Steel City for just a couple hundred dollars more but the $750 price tag on the Shop Fox is tempting for a cheap starter machine.

I'm more familiar with the Shop Fox than the Extrema. Can anyone comment on either of these machines.

Am I overdoing it with the Extrema, I was thinking the extra capacity would be great for kitchen cabinet face frames and the 7.5 motor would be better for panel glue ups?

Do you think I could get away with offering less on either of these machines, especially the Extrema?

The Shop Fox is a hook and loop and the Extrema uses clamp on paper.

Mike Thomas
12-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I agree, you will appreciate the wider sander. At 37" you will be able to sand most assembled doors and face frames. My dual drum sander is one of my most used tools in my shop. I have a 25" Performax and love it but long for something wider.

bob pfohler
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a Woodmaster double drum 37". It's ok but even with the 7.5hp motor it's limited to 1/64" per pass.
I hate the hook and loop paper!! Before this I owned a 22" Performax without hook and loop. It's much easier (in my opinion) to get a tight fit on a smooth drum.
Even with it's limitations, I'm glad I got the wider unit.

Bruce Page
12-07-2008, 1:18 PM
Paul, in most cases more is better but be aware that the larger sanders take up a lot of real estate. I have the 5hp, 2675 Woodmaster (26”) that is borderline on being too big for my garage shop. They also require good dust collection. So far, the 2675 has met all of my needs.
I have never seen an Extrema in person but from what I have read they are good machines geared more towards the pro than the weekend warrior.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-07-2008, 1:33 PM
It will be hard to go wrong with Extrema. They make fine equipment as to the shop fox - - well if I could get an Extrema instead I'd not think twice.

Paul Greathouse
12-07-2008, 2:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, the Extrema seems to have everything a want, larger capacity and larger motor. The real estate issue is not a problem, my shop is a 30x50 pole barn and is just begging to be filled with stationary machines. Dust collection is not a problem either, I just purchased an Oneida 1500 Pro.

My only reservation is the price, is $2500 too much to pay for a 3 year old machine that was used in a business setting? If it had been a weekend warrior I wouldn't be worried about wear and tear. That along with the fact that I just paid over $3000 for the Oneida has my pockets a little light.

If this is the deal of the century, let me know, I'll find a way to afford it but if its an average price I may let it pass.

Rick Fisher
12-07-2008, 3:19 PM
I have the General which is similar to the Steel City. Its a 3hp machine and 3hp isnt enough for wider panels.

The Extrema for $2500 is the way to go. 3 years old is a non-issue to me. That machine has another 12 years of hard life left in it and as a hobby guy, it will still have plenty of life left when your sitting in your rocking chair. :)

Of the three machines you mention, the Steel City is the weakest link. Scratch it off your list. :)

Dust Collection is a big issue with Drum Sanders. I ran mine with a shop fox 2hp single bagger. It was "pathetic". I switched over to a Felder and I get ZERO dust. I can wipe wood with black fabric as its coming out of the sander and see no dust particles at all.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/IMG_0889.jpg

I ran all 6" pipe to the sander and keep it right next to the DC. 2 - 5' x 6" flex hoses to the sander so as little airflow is lost as possible.

That Extrema machine is a good deal. It would be the last Drum Sander you would ever buy..

Paul Greathouse
12-08-2008, 12:26 PM
bump for more responses. My biggest question is the price. Is $2500 high, low or about average?

Rick Fisher
12-08-2008, 3:28 PM
I think they put your sander on Ebay which means you could use the cash back stuff to buy it.

[Edit - Ebay # 320322299501]

There is a shop fox listed for $750.00 just above it.

I would buy it on ebay if I where you..

Paul Greathouse
12-08-2008, 7:00 PM
Rick, that's the sanders I have been looking at. I actually found them on Ebay and have had Ebay email conversations with the owner. I don't think the owner can barter price while its listed on Ebay (I haven't brought the subject up yet, just asked details on the condition and use that they have seen). I am gambling that they won't sell on Ebay and I can offer him less after it runs its course there.

Being in Louisiana, he may be at a disadvantage. Not a lot of woodworkers in southern Louisiana. Most people spend their disposable money on hunting, fishing & golf. I don't think he's offering shipping.

I'll have to take another look later tonight.

Paul Johnstone
12-11-2008, 1:29 PM
I am not familiar with Extrama. I have a 37" wide supermax, and I absolutely love it. Could you put the Extrema on casters or rig some kind of mobile base if room is a concern?

Only you can answer if the Extrema is worth spending another $1750 for.

I really lucked out and got my sander for 1k. If the price had been $2500, I would've had to do some thinking as well. Ebay is blocked at my work so I can't take a look at it. Good luck with your decision.

Joe Jensen
12-11-2008, 4:06 PM
Rick, that's the sanders I have been looking at. I actually found them on Ebay and have had Ebay email conversations with the owner. I don't think the owner can barter price while its listed on Ebay (I haven't brought the subject up yet, just asked details on the condition and use that they have seen). I am gambling that they won't sell on Ebay and I can offer him less after it runs its course there.

Being in Louisiana, he may be at a disadvantage. Not a lot of woodworkers in southern Louisiana. Most people spend their disposable money on hunting, fishing & golf. I don't think he's offering shipping.

I'll have to take another look later tonight.

If there are no bids on an item it's easy to delist. Also, you can lower the price once listed...joe