PDA

View Full Version : Oak Stairs Question Of Taste

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2004, 8:07 PM
As some of you know from past questions, I'm replacing carpet on my stairs with oak treads and risers. I wanted to get your opinion on using white painted risers with oak treads. The treads will be stained a medium dark, not extremely dark color. Do you like the look of the white risers or do you prefer the all wood look? I think I like the white risers but my wife doesn't. Thanks for your opinions. Alan in Md.

Chris Padilla
06-09-2004, 8:11 PM
The right answer is what SWMBO thinks. Keeps things simple and everyone happy.

Dan Stuewe
06-09-2004, 8:42 PM
These aren't oak (santos mahogany) and they aren't solid (3" t&g). But here's what they looked like after ours were installed (ignore the blue tape). We really like the painted riser look.

WARNING! Blatant showing off of cute kid alert...

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2004, 8:54 PM
These aren't oak (santos mahogany) and they aren't solid (3" t&g). But here's what they looked like after ours were installed (ignore the blue tape). We really like the painted riser look.

Dan, she's a real cutie. I hope she's not stuck on there with the blue tape. :) Have you had much trouble keeping the risers clean? I already know how hard it is to keep little girls clean. Thanks Alan

John Miliunas
06-09-2004, 9:58 PM

Hey Dan, the cutie is *worth* showing off! She's a little doll! :) As for the riser debate, I think Chris P. hit it on the head. Also, in this case, I think I'd like to see them in Oak, as well. Not to knock Dan's installation, as it look fine, as well. It's all a matter of personal taste and I think if you're going through all the trouble, time, expense, etc..., the Oak risers would make it just a bit classier. Just my opinion and you can ask Dale what MY opinion is worth! :rolleyes: :cool:

Todd Burch
06-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Alan, I like white risers with stained treads. It gives what is most likely a dark staircase some brightness. I like the contrast too.

In the house where I am finishing the study, I also finished their back staircase treads. Hard maple treads, stained dark to match the prefinished flooring they purchased, with white risers and white stringers. They turned our really nice. The flooring company begged the homeowner to tell him who finished the treads. I had told the homeowner that I would never do stairs again - especially after some bozo random orbit sanded them with 80 or 100 grit prior to installation. Ugg.

And, FYI, DAMHIKT, don't let anyone tell you the going rate for finishing stair treads is $30/tread. More like $75/tread (and about 4 treads make up a landing), if finishing the stairs is all you are doing. ($35/tread if you are also selling/installing the floor...)

Todd (I feel better now, getting that off my chest and all... thanks!)

Lars Thomas
06-09-2004, 11:31 PM
If I were doing it, I'd put in white risers.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Hi All,

I still like the white risers even if SWMBO may not. Here's another part of it. I have white walls and white stringers already around this stair case. So maybe that will be enough white to contrast with an all oak stair case. I wanted to buy the wood tomorrow but maybe I'll wait until we're sure. We were thinking of going to some model homes and getting a better feel for different looks. Thanks for all your input my friends. Small gloat: I did get a new Hitachi jig saw out of this to cut off the bull nose in preparation. Man is that thing sweet; it worked great in this application. But then I'm comparing it to a decades old Craftsman so.... Alan in Md.

Todd Burch
06-09-2004, 11:51 PM
One more thing Alan. You had mentioned getting 4/4 oak for the risers before. Plywood would be fine for risers. 3/4" if you need it, 1/4" if you can get by with it.

Todd

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2004, 11:55 PM
The right answer is what SWMBO thinks. Keeps things simple and everyone happy.

Chris, You know you can never keep things simple when it comes to taste. And unfortunately after 30 years of marriage my wife's taste and mine are getting even more divergent. But as I said, eating well is always my top priority. :)

Alan in Md.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2004, 11:59 PM
One more thing Alan. You had mentioned getting 4/4 oak for the risers before. Plywood would be fine for risers. 3/4" if you need it, 1/4" if you can get by with it.

Todd

Hi Todd, That's the first I've heard of using oak ply. Is there any down side to this such as matching grain and staining differences? Have you seen this done in a lot of places? BTW is there a standard bull nose overhang and tread width. I'm thinking of 1.5" overhang and 11" width treads. Alan

David Klug
06-10-2004, 12:09 AM
I think the white risers really look sharp, but they are a pita to keep scuff marks off.

DK

Dan Stuewe
06-10-2004, 1:34 AM
Dan, she's a real cutie. I hope she's not stuck on there with the blue tape. :) Have you had much trouble keeping the risers clean? I already know how hard it is to keep little girls clean. Thanks Alan

I hate to admit this, but that shot was taken the day (or the day after) the wood was installed. So the risers just have the primer on them. Guess what, they still just have primer on them and we had this done over a year ago :(

(The blue tape is gone though)

There are scuffs on it and we haven't tried to clean them. I'm kinda hoping that once we get the paint on (eggshell) we will be able to clean them kinda easy. If not, we do have plenty of the paint :D

Todd Burch
06-10-2004, 9:36 AM
Alan, you just went over my head on stair treads. I'm not sure what the standard is. For a 1" thick tread with a full roundover, I would think that between ¾" & 1¼" would be about right.

However, I think it's more an issue of code compliance than looks on a staircase. As a matter of fact, stair cases are built differently when they are carpeted versus built for wood treads and risers. Building code is pretty specific on the amount of deviation on rise for each tread. I think it is no more than 3/8" deviation from the shortest rise to the longest rise - but again, I've never built a staircase or studied the code.

So, there's a wrench in your works!!

I've seen a lot of plywood used for risers. (Carpeted treads for that matter too!) As far as staining / grain matching - that is up to you! If you use rotary cut oak plywood with quartersawn treads, it'll look like doo-doo. I will always recommend filling the pores before staining oak.

Todd

Steve Clardy
06-10-2004, 9:56 AM
--But in the long run, the scuff marks:rolleyes: from toes would be a constant problem.
I would suggest all oak.:)
Steve

Alan Tolchinsky
06-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Alan, you just went over my head on stair treads. I'm not sure what the standard is. For a 1" thick tread with a full roundover, I would think that between ¾" & 1¼" would be about right.

However, I think it's more an issue of code compliance than looks on a staircase. As a matter of fact, stair cases are built differently when they are carpeted versus built for wood treads and risers. Building code is pretty specific on the amount of deviation on rise for each tread. I think it is no more than 3/8" deviation from the shortest rise to the longest rise - but again, I've never built a staircase or studied the code.

So, there's a wrench in your works!!

I've seen a lot of plywood used for risers. (Carpeted treads for that matter too!) As far as staining / grain matching - that is up to you! If you use rotary cut oak plywood with quartersawn treads, it'll look like doo-doo. I will always recommend filling the pores before staining oak.

Todd

Thanks Todd, I'll get it all figured out when I visit some model homes in my area. I'm taking my trusty measure and a digital camera. I just hope I don't get thrown out. Alan

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-10-2004, 3:21 PM
If you want to tone it down a little try - "Navahoo White".
Daniel :confused: