PDA

View Full Version : dust collection miter saw

Mike Hedges
06-09-2004, 6:12 PM
I have Dewalt 12in compound miter saw, thinking about building a box around saw and puting a dust port on one side , Does not seem to be a way to attach anythng to the dust port of the saw --- Any suggestions

Joe Scarfo
06-09-2004, 6:40 PM
I built a box around the back of my DeWalt 12" saw w/ the 4" dust port slightly south of the center of the back. if you put it on the side, it'll miss a lot more dust. The box is about as tall as the saw and about as wide.

My biggest problem is that all to often I forget to turn on the DC before a cut.

Good Luck,

Joe in Tampa

Steve Beadle
06-09-2004, 7:55 PM
I bought one of those large plastic dust collection scoops that funnels an approximately 12" X 12" area (perhaps a little larger, even) down to the 4" port. I mounted it on an adjustable arm so that I can locate the scoop directly behind the blade, whether 45 degrees left or right. I've got some details to work out, but I've been very pleased with its efficiency, hooked up to a Jet DC1100. I've seen the scoop in a couple of different woodworking catalogs, with prices ranging from about $23 to $27, plus shipping.

Dean Baumgartner
06-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Here's what I built around my Makita LS1013 slider. Even without the dc on it captures most of the dust, almost none of the dust comes out to the front.

Bob Aquino
06-10-2004, 8:31 AM
I have a pc 12" saw and I built a 3 sided structure around the sides and back so that it can swing and put a 6" ac ductwork fitting on the back about 8 inches high centered in the middle. Being the cheap guy that I am, I bought some 6" flex aluminum dryer vent hose (about 8 bucks for 8 feet) and ran it to a homebuilt 6" blast gate. At the back of the saw where the dust bag went, I put a pvc 90 degree elbow that deflects most of the dust down the chute. System works pretty good overall, what dust is missed generally stays within the immediate area of the saw rather than going everywhere like it did before. If I had to do it over, I might have put the dust port lower on the back since the dust tends to accumulate there anyway.

Dave Brandt
06-10-2004, 9:00 AM
Steve and Dean,

I'd be very interested in seeing your solutions. Can you post pictures? Thanks. dave

John More
06-10-2004, 9:30 AM
This seems to work very well for me even if I dont turn on my DC it catches most of the sawdust and if turn the DC it catches the dust but you still have to vacume out the bottom every so often.

Dean Baumgartner
06-10-2004, 9:53 AM
Let's see if the pic makes it this time...

David Hayes
06-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Dean,
Does the small hose connect to the saw's dust bag port or is it just open near that area?
Dave

Chris Padilla
06-10-2004, 11:20 AM
http://sawsndust.com/p-miterstation.htm

This is from Jim Becker's website. It shows an interesting approach to DC on a miter saw. Scroll nearly to the bottom 1/4 of this page to see how he did the below DC.

I think the key for a miter saw is that you need at least two points in which to collect the dust: below (like Jim did) and behind like most of the posts have show.

Dean Baumgartner
06-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Dean,
Does the small hose connect to the saw's dust bag port or is it just open near that area?
Dave

The small hose is connected to the saw's dust collection port. Don't know how much it really gets but when using with the cloth bag, the bag does fill up so something must be going there.

Dean

Scott Coffelt
06-10-2004, 2:55 PM
I have a box behind the saw on the bottom and then a curve shaped backboard. Works really good.

Chris Padilla
06-10-2004, 2:59 PM
Looks good, Scott. I have the very same MS. I've been wanting to make a zero clearance insert for it as too much crap falls under the saw. What blade do you use? I have CMT's 80-tooth monster...like it alot although the blade the saw came with works well, too.

Steve King
06-10-2004, 3:20 PM
I don’t know if this setup will work in your miter station, but what I did was to place a 12” to 6” reducer below my saw. I attached a 1 ½” hose to the saws dust port. I raised the 12” part of the reducer to where it almost touches the bottom of the saw. I bent tabs down in the back; I started with a few and keep bending tabs down till I was catching all the dust. This setup work great, when you cut MDF you can see the dust curling over the back of the saw and than down below the saw into the reducer.
Steve

Chris Padilla
06-10-2004, 4:36 PM
Very nice, Steve. I'm glad we get to see some of the finer points of your incredible miter saw station. I see that you didn't have much room for a wye connection to the DC. I recall a thread about this not too long ago.

Byron Trantham
06-10-2004, 4:46 PM
Mike here's the link to my solution.

http://www.wooddreams.net/CSMS.htm

I also have the DeWalt. One of the "nice" features with this approach is the adjustable exhaust from the saw. As I move the saw into miter positions I just rotate the exhaust towards the hole in the back. :D 100%? heck no. :mad: Better? ya. :rolleyes:

Mike Scoggins
06-10-2004, 5:39 PM
Steve,

Nice job on your miter saw station (I never posted to the separate thread) and your dust collection solution. I like the clever brass rods for the blast gates that allow easy operation from above!

Mike

Jerry Baldwin
06-11-2004, 9:35 AM
Well, I don't have the DeWALT but here's what I did for my Delta. The hose fits on the dust port of the saw and is run down into the larger hose to the dust collector. It works pretty well. The dust you see on the closeup is because I forget to turn the dust collector on sometimes. :D
http://www.winpicks.com/woodshop/images/nmiter.jpg
http://www.winpicks.com/woodshop/images/nmiter3.jpg

Mike Hedges
06-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Great suggestions , as soon as I get her finished I will post a picture , Mike Hedges