PDA

View Full Version : monster tools hollowing system compare

Chris Haas
12-07-2008, 1:00 AM
i have the bug to get a monster tool hollowing system and start taking on HF's, i really like the concept of the articulated arm one, but i've been reading and it sounds like a few people have both, because both have their own strengths and weeknesses.

that brings me to my question, which one does what better, let me also say that i'm not really looking to do real small HF's, i would say mostly 7-11 inches in height.

any help in comparing the captured bar system and the articulated arm system would be great, the one with both is out of my price range. thanks guys.

David Walser
12-07-2008, 1:24 AM
Captured systems are better for deep hollow forms. This is true for two reasons. First, the captured system is more rigid (having fewer joints and moving parts) which allows you to reach farther over the tool rest without vibration. Second, the articulated system takes up more room than the captured system. Not a big deal if you have 30+" between centers, but it could be a limiting factor if you have a short-bed lathe.

Articulated systems provide more flexibility and freedom of movement. With an articulated system, you can approach a cut from almost any angle that you could free hand. The freedom of movement makes an articulated system feel more "natural" to me. It also seems to allow more finesse. But that's just a matter of personal preference.

Good luck!

Cyril Griesbach
12-07-2008, 9:10 AM
Bite the bullet and get a Kobra from Indiana Innovators. Strong, articulated, sized for large or small lathes and excellent engineering.

rayt@indy.net for more information.

Chris Haas
12-07-2008, 9:40 AM
i saw the kobra at my turning clubs november meeting, it was sweet thats for sure, i cant find any info on them online though, someone said they went out of buisiness, plus, it is out of my price range. i heard numbers in the 700's. biting the bullet is ok sometimes, just not when your wife is pulling the trigger at the same time.

Alan Trout
12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I read on another forum that Indiana Innovations is no longer in business. I am not sure of this and they might be making them under another name I am not sure. It looks like a great system but never been much information on the system. They are a little pricey but they look to be fairly labor intensive to produce which explains the cost.

Good Luck

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Chris - I have both of Randy's hollowing systems and love to use them!

Dave gave you a pretty good description of the differences between the 2 systems. I use the captured system when roughing out the forms and then switch over to the articulated arm system when it comes time to finish turn. I have used the captured system to finish off the forms but the articulated system is just amazing at how smooth it is and that makes a huge difference when taking finish cuts inside the form.

You state that you want to turn 7" to 11" hollow forms - so I would suggest the captured system. It is able to rough out a form and counter any rotational forces that you experience. Plus, as mentioned, it can be used to finish the form when the time comes - just takes getting used to the system.

On my captured rig - the tailstock portion - I lined the inside of the rig with teflon tape to help the D-handle move a little more smoothly. It helps!

You will also want to start thinking about a steady rest if you don't already have one. Fairly easy to make!

Best of luck with your decision! I honestly feel that you can't go wrong with Monster Tools - just a matter of which ones!

Looking forward to seeing your new tool gloat!

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I agree with David pretty much. I do have both. I find though that I go to the articulating arm unit most times. It is easy to use and you can cut from about any angle. IMHO I think the Kobra is over priced for what it is. They may very well be out of business as I sent 4 e-mails and never received a reply back so bought the monster. I am not sorry I did as it is well built and Randy will answer any questions you have. Just a happy customer.

Reed Gray
12-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Like the others have said, the Monster is best for smaller forms, and a captured system for deeper forms. You can get adapters so the same cutters will fit both systems. I prefer the McNaughton hollow form cutters. For starters, I would recomend the Monster. It really makes hollowing easy, and has an excellent laser pointer. Explore its limits, then consider getting bigger, unless you are thinking about going into making funeral urns where you need deeper and bigger. I find it good for forms to about 6 inches deep. Then it starts to chatter a bit. You can go deeper, but have to have a light touch. The thing about the articulated system is that it really takes only finger tip pressure to cut.
robo hippy

Chris Haas
12-07-2008, 6:20 PM
well, from what you guys have said i think i should go for the captured rig, but the articulated arm looks so darn cool, plus $100 cheaper.

who knows, i have to try and sell some bowls first to pay for the gift to myself, or maybe i'll wait for tax rtn.

anyways, thanks for the help and i cant wait for a tool gloat either.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 7:25 PM
Chris - just my opinion - but if you turned HFs that were less than say 7" or 8" you would be perfectly happy with the articulated arm system. I suggested the captured system as you mentioned you wanted to turn forms that were 7" to 11". Afraid 11" would be pushing the articulated arm system - maybe even the captured - but anything under 7" the articulated system would be your best bet. You could always start there and if you needed something more later down the road - then you could pick up the captured system - or rather, just the parts you needed to add that capability to the Monster System! Best of luck with your decision!

Chris Haas
12-08-2008, 8:18 PM
sounds good, i think i will push this christmas for the articulated system. i've been a good boy this year. i think

Tom Storey
12-10-2008, 2:33 AM
What is the distance between the tool tip and the laser arm for the captured Monster system? Reason I ask is to determine if the top arc of my new bowl steady would interfere with the laser arm.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2008, 7:31 AM
Tom - the laser is fully adjustable! I try to keep the laser slightly above the hollow form and so far have not had a problem with the steady rest.

neil mackay
12-10-2008, 5:11 PM
Hmm, cant say I have bumped into the Kobra. I wonder if somebody could put a pic up.
One thing for sure its not available down under :(