PDA

View Full Version : Burl Patriot Pen

Keith Christopher
12-07-2008, 12:43 AM
This is a pen I just made from a briar burl. Briar burl is what is used to make pipes. This is part of a set which will contain a knife, pen, tamper and a pipe. ( I will post pics when the rest are complete as well.)

sanded to 12000 grit no finish.

Billy Tallant
12-07-2008, 5:08 AM
Pen looks great... Definately want to see the rest of the set when you finish them...:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2008, 10:43 AM
That is a beauty Keith. Yes please post all.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Nice pen - really interesting looking wood! Looking forward to seeing the completed set!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Beautiful pen Keith.

Would you mind answering a question about the Patriot pen. When you are holding it does the weight of the pen to be lower ...near the point when your fingers grasp it? I have a desire to build one for someone and they specifically want a pen with the weight near where you fingers grasp the pen.
I have never held or used a Patriot.

Keith Christopher
12-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Beautiful pen Keith.

Would you mind answering a question about the Patriot pen. When you are holding it does the weight of the pen to be lower ...near the point when your fingers grasp it? I have a desire to build one for someone and they specifically want a pen with the weight near where you fingers grasp the pen.
I have never held or used a Patriot.

Ken,

The weight is actually at the top. It's fairly on the small side for me but when writing with it, it's really smooth. The one thing I like about this pen kit is you can adjust the action as you assemble it. It allows you to sneak up on the perfect action in the pen and the correct protrusion of the tip of the fill.

Keith

Keith Christopher
12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Nice pen - really interesting looking wood! Looking forward to seeing the completed set!

Steve,

Is is a highly figured, easy to turn wood. A few notes about it. It is hard to get briar burl in larger sizes and when you find it in larger sizes it actually quite expensive. It also tends to have small voids in it. Stop by your local cigar/pipe store and look at some of the pipes in there, the figure can be AMAZING !

Keith